Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a turbo car before, so I have no idea how a the turbo supposed to sound when it kicks in, and when does it kick in any way? When doees it belch/fart/whistle during driving?

I would like to have some idea if mine is functioning normally.

BTW, I have attached a cone filter, instead of the stock box filter...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know about this tiny turbo on the car (VT), but you'll hear the spool (whistling of the turbo) when its doing its thing. If you don't have a BOV installed, it won't make the sound when you're driving (which happens when you let off the gas).

·
Registered
353 Posts
There's a *slight* turbo whistle if you listen hard... All in all, the car is very quiet when stock, a little too quiet for my liking, but a few mods later and that will change. Though I'm not sure if you'll hear the turbo as clearly as that video...probably not.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
I'm not sure if the intake has a silencer in it but on my last car when I removed the silencer from the intake and completely replaced the whole intake you could actually hear the spool. You have to understand its pretty quite by factory to please everyone. I'm sure once I start modding I'll hear the spool a lot louder like I was used to.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone with an SRI mod wanna chime in here? Turbosocks perhaps? :)

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
If you added a cone filter to your stock intake its only going to make it a little louder. You'd either have to do a silencer delete on your stock intake if it has one or replace the whole intake. Matter fact you should be able to hear the air being sucked in too. I'm waiting for Turbosocks to chime in.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
no.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
If you throw a cone filter on the stock intake or you do a custom SRI they will sound pretty much the same.

They will BOTH be quite loud when spooling. It is loud enough to hear it over my muffler delete at pretty much ANY rpm.

It does not have that neat little whistle spool sound when you put a cone filter on though.. its just a loud sucking sound of air.

If you unhook the bypass hose from the intake, the BPV will vent straight to the atmosphere and be MORE audible (than with a cone filter alone) with a decently loud PSHHHHHHHHH when you shift.

While on this topic, for most people, I would suggest the simple intake/BOV setup of slapping a cone filter on the stock intake tube, removing the bypass hose and capping the bypass port on the intake.. This will cost about 20$ and probably give you pretty similar results to an SRI + BOV (which will cost ~230$+, even if you make the SRI yourself)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, i do hear the air-sucking sound from the cone filter mod. I honestly did not think I would ( I get annoyed at cars with no mufflers and 10 subwoofers in the back, and those chug-a-chugging of Harley's), but I am loving hearing the louder sound from the engine, the auditory feedback I'm getting when I drive.

I was holding off unplugging the bypass hose because ithought I would not enjoy the pssshhhhh sound, but thats what i'm doing next... :)

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
If you throw a cone filter...
Do you know if our car comes with the silencer inside the intake?

By the way if anyone is wondering this is what a silencer looks like. LEFT PIECE

Now if anyone is wondering where this piece may be found its actually inside the intake at the very end of the tube. I'll tell you one thing for sure, you'd have to remove the silencer regardless if your replacing the intake. I don't know if its inside our Veloster Turbo or not but I'm hoping some of you that have moded already could chime in.

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
that is not a silencer.. haha.. it is a piece of straight pipe.. lol..

There was some type of piece in the stock air box that looked somewhat like a silencer though. I can get pictures tonight as for some reason i kept my air box...

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
here, found a picture...

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
bottom of air box...

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
No you would have to remove the airbox to get to the piece that I'm referring to, and right its a piece of straight pipe but lol thats just what everyone on the genesis forums called it and i guess it made sense because its really the piece that quiets the spool. Actually now that I think of it, you could technically just remove the silencer and keep the stock intake and you will hear the spool a lot louder.

You would also be able to hear the stock bov a lot louder.

Now bare in mind, I haven't taken mine apart yet to even tell you for a fact that we have that inside our intake, just a curiosity.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Like I've pointed out I haven't had the chance to tell you for a fact if they used that particular piece or something different to make it a bit quiet but I do know it would be the inside the intake by the very end where the turbo is. I had to use pliers to remove it on my genesis and I can tell you it wasn't easy to pull out. Turbosocks, how did you get your custom intake to even work? You would have had to remove the airbox, and the stock intake tube/plastics that connects to the turbo right?

·
Registered
60 Posts
i put a k&n rr-3003 with the unplugged hose venting into the bay and both the suction and purging are really loud. theres definitely no turbo spooling audible whatsoever

·
Registered
250 Posts
My brother's genesis had the silencer. I dont know if the VT does or not since I just scrap the whole intake and installed Turbosock's intake.

Here's a video of what it sounded like.

First two scene is with the camera outside, third is with the camera inside (windows down), last one is camera inside (windows up).

CAI VELOSTER - YouTube

1 - 20 of 21 Posts