Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to some news stories Hyundai built about 1,800 Veloster Turbos.

They have flown off my local dealer lots within days of receiving them. When I would get a call from a salesman that a handful of Turbos arrived they would all be sold before I could make it out to them on Saturday. I told several salesmen from several dealers to call me when a Turbo with the M/T showed up and every time they called it was for an A/T version. One salesman told me that the M/T versions were all sold before they arrived.

When I showed up ready to buy one at a large dealership I told them that I wanted a specific configuration and I didn't care if it took a long time for my special order to arrive. He told me that the Veloster Turbo is sold out and the only way he could get another one was to do a dealer trade. I was skeptical, but why wouldn't he take my money if I was willing to wait?

So I asked for an orange Turbo with a M/T. I saw the screen that he used for searching and 5 orange Turbos showed up and they were all A/T. So I asked for a blue Turbo with a M/T and 7 showed up and only one had a M/T. I told him again that I was willing to wait months if necessary for a special order and he said no, it was a dealer trade or nothing. I figured that I really wanted a Veloster Turbo and the one he could get from another dealer matched exactly the configuration that I had built on the website countless times - so I took it and paid the $750 freight charge.

According to him the Veloster has the shortest time on the lot of any car Hyundai has built but when they were first released the dealers did not want them because they were odd Elantra coupes that cost too much. And when they were told that they had to take 6 Turbos at $25k they were not happy. They sold the first 6 before they arrived and maxed out at 18 Turbos and were now only doing dealer trades.

When I asked him if Hyundai was really going to sell out of 2013 Turbos in 2012 he said that as far as he knew yes they were. We both speculated that surely another batch would be built but unless Hyundai is building them now they will be too late for the 2013 model year.

So maybe there will only be ~1,800 2013 Veloster Turbos built.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My experience was very similar. I even called Hyundai US to ask why I could "build" mine online only to be sent to dealers who couldn't order the configuration I wanted. Their response -- "We had no idea the [tutbo] car was going to be this popular". I ended up telling my dealer to find me one of three colors with ultimate package... took 6 days to get it on the lot.

1800 seems like a low number for an international model release though?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Same thing here............

Pretty much all the Vitamin C VT with M/T were sold before they even hit the lot.

I didn't get to see or test drive my VT before I bought it.

I told them I dont mind the wait since I was waiting for the Motozuma 30 days anyway.

He called me and said he found one in South Florida. Within 24 hours, it's in my driveway :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was told that the cars were flying off dealer inventory lists and that the matte grey model was not going to be made anymore this year. Whatever they got in the first shipment was it....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same thing here... I called dozens of dealers east of the Mississippi. I found one dealer who had an allocation of my desired car and I put down a deposit over the phone. (Turbo, white, ultimate, MT.) I had to wait about two weeks for the boat to arrive in the port, and for the car to come off the boat...

As soon as the car was being delivered off the truck, the dealer called me. I went to the airport and flew to the dealer.
While I was sitting in the dealer signing the paperwork, there were several eager shoppers looking at my car... It would have sold that day if I did not have the deposit on it...
I paid full price, and drove home 750 miles that day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I went to the dealer to buy a light bulb for my old car they had 5 in the lot. I was already thinking about getting a Techno Orange Kia Sportage SX and saw that I could get my VT for $10,000 less and with almost all the features of the Kia booked a test drive the next day and made the deposit after taking the ride for them to do a dealer trade. Got mine in a week and by then all the five they had the week before weren't there. I drive by my dealer a couple days a week since I work close by and always take a glance to see if there are any more and haven't seen any since I took delivery about a month ago.

From what I've been reading Hyundai expected to sell 2,000 VTs this year guess their estimates were low. If this is the case, perhaps we're driving a car that might have better resale value (if it's that anyone of us ever thinks of selling it) or even become a collectible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told by one dealer, Lia, that they only had 1,400 models made and that each dealer only got 2 each. I would tend to believe that they made what one member said was 1,800 or even 2,000 turbo models. Either way they are a rare breed indeed. I currently have a 2012 red style package that I will be trading up for the ultimate 2013 model. Being such a new model I was hearing rumors they may have some problems with the turbo. Has anyone heard anything to that effect? I cant see how since the car just came out this year and seems a bit early to say this. Anyway, had to travel to find the one in the color I like. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
had an extremely hard time trying to get one. every dealer said they were all reserved or wanted me to pay way over msrp when the car actually arrived.

was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Must be the left hand drive version because here in Australia it isnt hard to get one just a six week wait. we have a different package to what you guys get as standard though as we have no options list. Think we get what you guys call the ultimate as our turbo model. Ordered ours at the start of september and will be able to be picked up 20th of october :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I told the dealer that I was willing to wait for a special order and they said no. It is rare in America to wait for any new car. I went to 3 dealers in ATL and told them all that I would buy a Turbo with a M/T and not one of them ever produced one. They sold about 36 Turbos as fast as they got them in.

I decided it was time to buy one and not hope that Hyundai would make another batch. The next batch has to hit the lots by early spring or they will clog the 2014 models and that means that Hyundai has to be building more of them right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are quite a few in Florida. I found every dealer was willing to sell them under invoice (no ultimate packages though). I read somewhere that Florida received a large allocation of the total built, so we may have an oversupply from Tampa to Orlando.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's good news for Florida. The dealer showed some in Florida but I only wanted a M/T with the ultimate package. If you don't want the sunroof the rest of the ultimate package isn't a dealbreaker for me. The Nav system is OK but Google Maps on Android has spoiled me. It feels like the sunroof takes away a few precious inches of headroom too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw a number being thrown around some time before on *****... the number was ~3,800

·
Registered
28 Posts
The first dealer I spoke with (right after the VT came out) said that each dealer would only get to MATTE GRAY VTs. On the shipping list going around, there are more VT every week. Currently well over 800 being shipped or at dealers. They just need to make them until I get mine. :wink:

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Find one and grab it before some one else does!

The dealers aren't trading VT's. The reason my local guy says is because they can't keep any, and they're flying off the lots. I gave my local guy two weeks to find me an ATOMIC SILVER A/T and he failed. Hit the internet and found two, one out of state and the other, less than a hundred miles away. Needless to say, I'm driving it now. Very cool car:cool:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Since the 2013 production run should be completed does anyone know how many were produced. When I contacted Hyundai they replied, "We can inform you that the Veloster Turbo is a very limited production".

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Since the 2013 production run should be completed does anyone know how many were produced. When I contacted Hyundai they replied, "We can inform you that the Veloster Turbo is a very limited production".
That's pretty cool to hear, even though I want more aftermarket stuff and the only way to see that is to have a lot of them on the road.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts