Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 VT DCT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Been enjoying my VT DCT so much these past few years on the track and as my daily. Now she's ready for a tune. But my tuner keeps hitting a wall. Going through HPTuners, One day it reads my ECU, but can't write. Try again a few days later, "Falied to Gather Resources". So after a few weeks...we're still stuck. Here's the link to the post he has on HPTuners.com.
Any help/tips or tricks would be so appreciated.

Would love to post my tune and updates here as well.

Mods:
K&N Intake
Sxth FMIC
HKS plugs
Dual catch cans
KDM Tuners Braided PTFE Fuel line
DeatschWerks Fuel pump DW300c
Ko3 Upgraded Turbo
Pierce Motor Sports High Flow Down Pipe
Mac Bov Solenoid Upgrade
MBRP exhaust

Pierce Motor Sports Roll Cage
Pierce Motor Sports Front and Rear Sway bars
Pierce Motor Sports VT-ONE Chromoly Strut brace
BC Racing Coilovers
Yellowspeed Racing Front Big brakes
Enkei TS-10 Wheels
Yokohama 225/40R18 ADVAN NEOVA AD08R

Driver side Sparco R100 Seat

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,012 Posts
Oem tune in the car? Has it been tuned yet with HPT or otherwise? Good battery charge in car and laptop? Good wire connections and good internet signal? Support ticket submission yet?

I have HPT as well to tune these cars with but rarely use it as I have less issues by not using it. Only thing good is their datalog feature thus far.

·
Registered
2016 VT DCT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Trdtoy,
Thanks for the response. Yes, Oem tune, never been tuned by anyone or anything yet. Yes, good car battery and laptop. Wired connection and no ethernet dropping. Yes, we have submitted tickets to HPT and they've said get the latest software, the beta one, try again...its going to be my 5th time to this dyno.
From your comments, I'm starting to think HPT's software is not the one I should be using? Is there a better or one that has worked on my car before? And is there any local to me dyno shops that are using it? Or am I working with someone not familiar with my platform and need to go elsewhere?
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Have you confirmed the tune in the car is stock or assuming that There?

Where are you located?

There are quirks with HPT in general especially with the VT being new to their support. Most that use HPT to tune the VT have little to no experience in tuning a VT to know how to properly especially based on the parts on the car. Actually cheaper and better to get a tune from a vendor familiar with the VT. SXTH element engineering or Qwik Tyme Performance would be the top two. Followed by 845 motorsports then Tork Motorsports or Lap 3.

·
Registered
2016 VT DCT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. The tune is stock. My tuner has read it, made changes, then tried to save to it and it through an error. Not sure what the error was but he said he sent the error in an email to HPT. He's done this each time. This last time it was the "Falied to Gather Resources".

Im located in Pasadena California. Far from all the tuners you mentioned but I am familiar with them all because I've been purchasing parts from them. Do you know of any near me?
BTW...I see you responded to my tuner on the HPTuner site. Now Im super worried that he might not be the one to do my tune. Ive seen some of your post and you are the this forum and you are the one to go to for all things Veloster. Id really love to get an actual tune than purchase a caned tune. In speaking with the guys from SXTH, they can't do a canned tune now that I have a stuffed stock turbo.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
A custom remote tune would be best from Qwik Tyme Performance, 845 motorsports, Tork motorsports, or Lap 3. Any of these should do it for you. If you do not want a remote tune then you may want to check out 3 point 8 Performance as I think they're in California however not sure how good their tunes are to be honest as I think they may use Alphaspeed for tuning which is known for good genesis tunes but not so much in the VT realm.

·
Registered
2016 VT DCT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm...Lots to figure. I'm cool with a remote tune. I would just need to get a PC laptop and the OBD2 cable and have good internet. Im not really comfortable with these 3Point8Performance guys if YOU aren't sure about them. :)
So I should ask for my $200 back from my tuner. He said it was for "HPTuner credits" for my car. Well, they did nothing and he couldn't finish the job. Right?
Im also wondering about the transmission. The tuner said he had issues the 1st time not being able to read it. Something about not knowing which trans my car had? Would these other guys know how to adjust shift points and or limits? Im wondering if the power is turned up, even in paddle or manual mode, will the trans shift too soon? Can we have it hold a bit longer in maul mode to rev a bit higher?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Getting the credit $ back will be between you, the tuner, and HPT, mostly the latter.

Compatible laptop, flashing hardware/software, internet to send/receive tunes and datalogs, and something good to datalog with for the tuner of choice to have good data.

Unfortunately the transmission can't be tuned yet. Be more concerned with the transmission slipping from too much tq when tuned. The DCT you have will be limited to around 250-260 wtq at most on a dynojet SAE CF.

·
Registered
2016 VT DCT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on. If I can get those numbers I’ll be more than content! Ha hah! Well, thanks again. I’m going to reach out to 3point8 performance pick their brains on the VT. Are there any main questions I should ask or red flags to be aware of?
If all goes well, they’re only 1.5 hrs away from me. If not, I’m be do the remote from one of the others.
I’ll keep you posted and would love to set up a build post on all this.
Thanks
Have a good one!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Ask these:
What power can be expected?
What max load % and boost will be targeted?
What will lambda be at WOT?
Is part throttle fueling addressed?
If so when will it start to enrich the fuel?
Could you send some dyno examples of other VT tuned by you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You need to go to the top of the window & click the "Help" tab & select "resync interface' (something like that). Make sure the obdii dongle is plugged into your laptop & you're connected to internet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh, actually, I think it may be caused by not having the ignition all the way on. I cant remember exactly, but I know I've seen that error & it ended up being something dumb like the dongle not having the licenses in it from the HP tuners site, or the ign wasnt on (in accessory mode instead)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, I saw in your "mods" list thst you have DeatschWerks Fuel pump DW300c listed,...If you dont mind me asking, why'd you do a fuel pump mod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts