Veloster Turbo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I think I am happy with this. I used the Main and Base tables to get a nice burble with out super aggressive bangs. Just using the Min I was getting loud bangs but not to many pops and crackles. By playing with the two tables I was able to get a more natural burble and crackle on decell without any bucking when getting back into to throttle. I think the best way to describe it is natural, not "Oh here comes the kid with the pop and bang tune" lol

I will prob stick to this method as it is most familiar of what I would use on a standalone and easily tuneable.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Log the ignition timing off throttle and relate the timing to a certain sound you like at given rpm. Will also tell you if you're making progress via tune changes for this and not just placebo going off sound alone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
roughly -10 deg. I had already logged it thats how i cam up with the numbers above. Hoever it would buck going on and off throttle because it was going from -10 degs to 52 degs on tip in. So i played with both tables to get smoother transitions of tip in

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Like I said the main spark table does not need to be touched to achieve this. Tuned two cars last week with pops n bangs that are in the - ignition timing more than yours and no surging from those upon tip in.

Set your 15% load row for the sound you prefer then blend the 30% row to between the 15% row and 40% row values. This should help you some hopefully.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Like I said the main spark table does not need to be touched to achieve this. Tuned two cars last week with pops n bangs that are in the - ignition timing more than yours and no surging from those upon tip in.

Set your 15% load row for the sound you prefer then blend the 30% row to between the 15% row and 40% row values. This should help you some hopefully.
Yeah good idea about blending but I don't like the idea of touching the MBT table. It really isn't meant to be touched.

I'm probably going to buy a DP today but the Pierce dp is way to high for what it is. Probably going to just purchase the isr

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
The ISR should work since you have a 3" exhaust. Hopefully it does not leak and hope the structural integrity is good over time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hairpin, keep it up! What you're doing sounds very much like what I have been looking for in a tune. Its interesting reading through what you are doing.
Thanks! I appreciate it. Hopefully soon after some more testing and road tuning I'll try to setup some dyno time. Right now I'm working 7 10s so the only tuning I've been doing is to and from work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
About 2kmi on the Bosche plugs I'd say they look pretty freakin great. I swapped in the NGKs two steps colder and we will see how they do!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
You gap the 1422's? Be sure all are gapped the same. If not all the same you can have issues. I set all plugs in VT I tune on 93 to .024". Most others set them to .028".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yes I always gap my plugs. It's crazy how tight the 1422s were out of the box. I'm really impressed with how clean the other plugs came out. My ecoboost plugs were always full of carbon even with a super elaborate cc setup and similar AFRs.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Glad you gap them as many do not gap plugs and have no clue how inconsistent gaps can be and how that can change the engine operation. The 1422 come at ~.022".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well ISR downpipe is on backorder for 2-3 weeks. I really want to start on the "ghost cam" tune or at least try it but I really don't want to damage the cat.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Keep in mind this is an interference engine and nobody in the community has expressed how far one can adjust the cam timing from OEM specs before damage can occur.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Keep in mind this is an interference engine and nobody in the community has expressed how far one can adjust the cam timing from OEM specs before damage can occur.
Absolutely! I am aware. My plan is to never exceed what the current cam angle maps are already requesting. Plus I was looking at hp tuners and they have built in deg limiters. I'm not sure if interference will occur before I hit that limiter but my plan is to not exceed what is already taking place in the current cam angle maps.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
The limiters are likely the max adjustment/full range the cams can go and will 100% make contact beforehand.

Keep in mind the cam angle changes will alter dynamic compression ratio and could induce K/KR.

Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The limiters are likely the max adjustment/full range the cams can go and will 100% make contact beforehand.

Keep in mind the cam angle changes will alter dynamic compression ratio and could induce K/KR.

Proceed with caution.
Yeah I'm still going to do plenty of research before hand. The coyote engine utilizes can phasing for their ghost cam so I know it can be done just have to go slow. Either way an idle cam angle similar a cruiing speed cam angle shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Keep us posted on the progress for any others that may want this for the clout

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I'm still waiting on the downpipe to come in from isr. It's on backorder for another week. The car is running amazing though. Lots of fun. Hopefully after the downpipe and the res delete I'll start playing with timing.

After that I'll share some information about my findings and the maps I'm working out of to achieve my targets.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts