Veloster Turbo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Not sure what you mean by how do I interpret absolute load? Most tunes will have higher absolute load down low and less up top. This is due to how most tunes are setup and with iat climbing with rpm while under heavy load. If the ecu is cutting then you're hitting limiters somewhere in that area of the tune maps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Not sure what you mean by how do I interpret absolute load? Most tunes will have higher absolute load down low and less up top. This is due to how most tunes are setup and with iat climbing with rpm while under heavy load. If the ecu is cutting then you're hitting limiters somewhere in that area of the tune maps.
Ok cool. I'm on the same page then. I was just curious if there was some sort of analytic that could be cross referenced with the absolute load value. From what I'm understanding it's more of an interpretation of a calculation that hptuners isn't giving any information about.

I'll look into maybe trying the pressure ratio map. However I assumed that shouldn't need to be touched because that's setup for the pr of the turbo. Something maybe calculated on a bench.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
UPDATE

So I have been digging into the physics behind the pressure ratio table and its MAP/BARO. My log shows Baro to be 14.5 psi(Im assuming psia) so I converted that to 99.97 kpa. At 5500rpms when ETC closes Im only at 220kpa so my PR is 2.20. The Pressure Ratio limit map is set for 2.68 from the factory. Im thinking this is not the limiter I am after. I could be wrong in how HP tuners is calculating Baro but my log show 14.5 psi and a lower baro if map stays unchanged would yield a larger pressure ratio so I feel pretty confident this is not the limiter that needs to be changed. I might try upping it a small amount just to rule it out.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Assuming will get you nowhere.....

If it closes at 2.2 kpa or ~17 psi up top it can easily be the pr map and many others as the culprit. You're missing maps in HPT that would help you to know this plus due to no experience in this ecu you do not know how this is calculated either which causes more confusion.

Maps at play that you may not have will cut the pr number by a certain % based on iat correction, factor in an intake pressure at the turbo inlet correction based on many factors, and an intercooler pressure drop correction factor map based on many factors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Assuming will get you nowhere.....

If it closes at 2.2 kpa or ~17 psi up top it can easily be the pr map and many others as the culprit. You're missing maps in HPT that would help you to know this plus due to no experience in this ecu you do not know how this is calculated either which causes more confusion.

Maps at play that you may not have will cut the pr number by a certain % based on iat correction, factor in an intake pressure at the turbo inlet correction based on many factors, and an intercooler pressure drop correction factor map based on many factors.
I see. I thought these were all the maps. If HP tuners isn't even providing all the maps then I'm simply relying on work arounds to achieve the results I want. Lame.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Exactly. I mean work around will still work but makes it harder to achieve the results and safety you want at the same time. The first VT I tuned on HPT I was upset to not see some maps in there that I knew were in the ecu.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Exactly. I mean work around will still work but makes it harder to achieve the results and safety you want at the same time. The first VT I tuned on HPT I was upset to not see some maps in there that I knew were in the ecu.
Do you know any alternatives out there used for tuning the VT or is it all private information? I'm not about to jump ship on HP tuners but when researching ECU flashing software HP tuners was the only public software I could find.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
People have tuned the VT since 2013 so there are other options. Just not cheap, user friendly, or available for anyone to use.

Best bet for you is to use work arounds with help from others out there while pressing HPT to add more maps that would be beneficial to the VT tuning community.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I have spent hours going and increasing many maps trying to see if I get even the slightest bit change with my etc cut and right now I have it where it only cuts in 3rd,4th gear around 5800 rpm. I really wish I could get rid of the cut.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I went ahead and emailed hp tuners support. Going to see if I can log torque and desired airflow. I also asked if they had any plans to add additional tables. The car is a blast to drive it I just want more rpm. It feels like it can pull to 6.5k If I can get past this limiter.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
What does your pressure ratio map look like? Barometric pressure when cutting? Boost when cutting? Overboost still active?

To me sounds like the pressure ratio maps are off or you still have overboost active in the tune. Maybe more or something else so this is just a guess without seeing the tune maps. Many maps can cause cut. Who knows if you even have them or not lol!

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
317 Posts
I went ahead and emailed hp tuners support. Going to see if I can log torque and desired airflow. I also asked if they had any plans to add additional tables. The car is a blast to drive it I just want more rpm. It feels like it can pull to 6.5k If I can get past this limiter.
What's the limit on the HPT for the car?
So 6500 is what you're wanting to rev the engine to?
Interesting that can't be changed with HPT. 🤨

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Sounds like he wants the current power to carry out to 6.5k but he's having throttle cut around 5.8k rpm.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Im having throttle cut at 5.8k in 3rd and 4th gear. Trdtroy can you look at my last log? Its not as clean of a tune as it once was because I have been experimenting with things.

I had to use my drive because this forum does not support this file extension

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
My gut tells me you have the overboost still in place which is set to 10 in the OEM tune and need to eliminate that. Having this in place once tuning will just lead to unpredictable power curves. I recall HPT having the maps to do that on the VT's I tuned with it.

Also if you do not want throttle to close from pressure ratio up top at 17 psi your numbers will need to be in the 2.4-2.7 area. At 20 psi they would need to be in the 2.6-3 area for example.

Yes, I know, why the wide range? Well, because you do not have the maps available to control the pressure ratio functions in a finite manner with HPT. Hell I do not even have all the maps I'd want ideally.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
My gut tells me you have the overboost still in place which is set to 10 in the OEM tune and need to eliminate that. Having this in place once tuning will just lead to unpredictable power curves. I recall HPT having the maps to do that on the VT's I tuned with it.

Also if you do not want throttle to close from pressure ratio up top at 17 psi your numbers will need to be in the 2.4-2.7 area. At 20 psi they would need to be in the 2.6-3 area for example.

Yes, I know, why the wide range? Well, because you do not have the maps available to control the pressure ratio functions in a finite manner with HPT. Hell I do not even have all the maps I'd want ideally.
Ok I will give this a shot tonight. I started a HP thread where I uploaded the log here.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Well Im thinking the combination of the two fixed it because I had already tried raising them seperately but nonethelesss the car pulled to redline!!! Feels so much better. Thanks for your help trdtoy!

81 - 100 of 142 Posts