Veloster Turbo Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
I can attest to the power cut on my stockish car for racing. First AX run (We do cold then hot tire runs) on a hot day waiting in line the IATs climb and halfway through my run I suddenly have a little more power due to to the temps dropping.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Yes at idle the iat can be around 80 over ambient and during an auto x or road course they may settle in at 40-60 over ambient. Either way much power is pulled for sure.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Checked the logs. Overboost can be finicky but really does need to be gone and sort the other maps out to make it do what you want it to without throttle cut.

I can tell you're down on power some though due to the timing curve. Losing power through the whole curve but especially 4.7k+ rpm it fluctuates a bit. I know why without seeing the tune maps but I'll see if you can figure it out first. :)

Fyi I'm not letting you try to figure these things out on your own to be an ass. I'm doing it to show the community how long it takes someone familiar with tuning to figure things out so that they know this is not a DIY route to take for someone with little to no knowledge. I've actually shared enough already without you asking and should not have that has sped up your progress tremendously.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Cool! Let us know what you changed to do this. Maybe I'll do something more agressive on my car with 3" catless DP and no exhaust to turn heads even more :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Cool! Let us know what you changed to do this. Maybe I'll do something more agressive on my car with 3" catless DP and no exhaust to turn heads even more :)
I still have a little more work to do on it. I was able to use the AC adder in the torque section to keep it idling with the ac on. This wasnt the final ghost cam tune. I also upped my min idle rpm to get rid of the idle dip. Ill message you my settings. I really dont want this ghost cam information public because if people do it wrong it could be catastrophic.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
I’d give him a run lol

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Iat and timing is killing you. Boost still dropping up top but you're getting there. Fyi, on your current setup I would not go over 20 psi at redline regardless of iat for turbo protection. Do get all those temperatures, fueling, and timing under control or the engine may not last as long.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Iat and timing is killing you. Boost still dropping up top but you're getting there. Fyi, on your current setup I would not go over 20 psi at redline regardless of iat for turbo protection. Do get all those temperatures, fueling, and timing under control or the engine may not last as long.
It looks like it has the fuel if IATs were better. I think timing might get back on board too. I can definitely tell in the upper rpm tye turbo is hating life too. I'm definitely not pushing anymore through it. I really want to get IATs under control next and see how everything else follows.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Im not sure if im on the right track to my boost still being cut. This time throttle isnt closing rather boost DC% is decreasing and I think I might know why.

Here you can see when it starts to decrease. Notice the time stamp.

at this point EGT is 1778 deg F after about 1 sec has pass DC% for boost starts to decrease.

I found this setting in HP tuners

Now I can increase this but to see if I can hold boost for longer but the question is should I? The reason being is EGT is already really high. Different schools of thought have many different opinions on EGT. If I was already running water injection, I wouldn't be too worried however because of high iats, high egts doesnt surprise me. I might up it as a test and then do a small pull to see DC stays consistent but not take the engine to redline.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
hey RPW00Mirage can you make it so I can upload hpl files here?
i have actually asked something like this before, about ZIP format... it's unsupported since malicious code can be executed.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Lean afr drives egt up and ignition timing retard. Opposite for richer afr. Colder IAT and ECT will for sure help a good bit here as well. Do not associate egt with IAT as they're not closely related at all. I will also say that I've never seen egt as high as yours in the years tuning these cars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Lean afr drives egt up and ignition timing retard. Opposite for richer afr. Colder IAT and ECT will for sure help a good bit here as well. Do not associate egt with IAT as they're not closely related at all. I will also say that I've never seen egt as high as yours in the years tuning these cars.
EGT and IAT are related. I have to disagree with you respectfully there. However my AFRs are ideal. EGTs are higher as IATs are higher. On a cool day my EGTs are lower as are my IATs with the same AFR

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
EGT and IAT can be somewhat related but not always as it is very situational. Also cat temp/EGT is calculated and not measured from my understanding. I see very little difference in cat/EGT regardless of IAT or water/meth use.

Reason I bring up EGT being higher than any I've ever seen is that I've seen power drop a good bit with higher EGT in these cars. Mostly due to ignition timing retard and boost and absolute load drop and partially due to afr enrichment which is needed in some scenarios.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
FYI @ hairpinperformance, I contacted HPT after looking through the maps I use on the daily and what HPT has available for use to see if they can add more maps. I think I'll be able to have maps transferred to HPT but not to what I use. So I may be transferring maps to HPT, which will likely cost me more $, and start using it to tune with instead. Hopefully I can sort this out to where others that use HPT can have more maps available and not have to pay extra for them in the future.

I also inquired about maps for the automatic and DCT cars on the transmission side of things.

Time will tell on this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Well I have another update. I parked my car out in front of my house and a drink girl hit it yesterday at about 40mph so it's done for. ☹ Insurance totaled it and only gave me 6k for it.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts