Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Veloster Turbo Ultimate
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m looking at doing my first mod. Not even at 3,000mi yet and ready to void my warranty’s.

I’m following the suck, squeeze, bang, and blow philosophy and choosing to do my intake over tires and spark plugs.

After much research I’ve learned I need the cold air intake vs short ram due to the car being turbocharged. This led me to two choices:

1. HPS ~$285 (description claims 5.8hp/8.7tq)
Pro - heat shields help
Con - looks like the Injen short ram to me?

2. Injen ~$323 (description claims 17hp/16tq)
Pro - intake looks further/lower from engine
Con - no heat shield

...So off of what they claim to gain I am thinking of selecting the Injen. Does anybody have any input for me on which they would choose and why?

Hoping to get it installed by next weekend for my first car meet. Help!
-Rick

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
None of the above are a good idea on many levels.....

Price is high
Gains are not true on a 19+ VT on stock tune
Air flow is priority #1 for power on intake

But hey, it'll look and sound better.....

Reactions: sonic_velo.turbo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of the above are a good idea on many levels.....

Price is high
Gains are not true on a 19+ VT on stock tune
Air flow is priority #1 for power on intake

But hey, it'll look and sound better.....
I realize they won’t reach what either manufacturer claims to gain until after tuning. I know air flow is priority and from what I’ve read I need something with 3.5 inch tubing? The increase in diameter from stock would improve intake performance correct?

What should I get if neither of those are good options?

If you need to know my goal, it’s not for racing just performance. Just hoping to gain some hp /tq with a couple simple mods and a tune. I’m just a dumb redneck who drives a 64 econoline van and used to do my 74 l82 corvette until I bought this.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I realize they won’t reach what either manufacturer claims to gain until after tuning. I know air flow is priority and from what I’ve read I need something with 3.5 inch tubing? The increase in diameter from stock would improve intake performance correct?

What should I get if neither of those are good options?

If you need to know my goal, it’s not for racing just performance. Just hoping to gain some hp /tq with a couple simple mods and a tune. I’m just a dumb redneck who drives a 64 econoline van and used to do my 74 l82 corvette until I bought this.
Large filter, velocity stack, large tubing, smooth bends and transitions promote the best flow and response.

Qwik Tyme Performance on FB has the best intakes and is redesigning them now to be even better from what I hear. Also cheaper than the options you listed here.

I'm a redneck as well. Good to see others around. :)

On the 2020 the intercooler, cats in the exhaust, intake, and hot pipe will free up the most flow to make power with a tune. Water/meth injection will also help to add power if setup properly. Moreso than an intercooler will. Qwik Tyme Performance can help you with all of this. But sxth element engineering will be the go to for the tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You and I are in the same boat as far as goals for mods. I don't have a gen 2 but w/ the gen 1 based on everything I've read the best performance mods starting out, aside from a mild tune, were an aftermarket downpipe followed by a catback exhaust. If you go with a downpipe learn from my mistake and have it done by someone knowledgable. If your at all worried about your warranty though I'd probably skip the downpipe and just get a light tune and an exhaust or your CAI or a short ram intake. But a CAI won't do much on its own aside from sound and look cool. It's going to be the last thing I do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Large filter, velocity stack, large tubing, smooth bends and transitions promote the best flow and response.

Qwik Tyme Performance on FB has the best intakes and is redesigning them now to be even better from what I hear. Also cheaper than the options you listed here.

I'm a redneck as well. Good to see others around. :)

On the 2020 the intercooler, cats in the exhaust, intake, and hot pipe will free up the most flow to make power with a tune. Water/meth injection will also help to add power if setup properly. Moreso than an intercooler will. Qwik Tyme Performance can help you with all of this. But sxth element engineering will be the go to for the tune.
I don’t have Facebook. Are they on any forums? Also, I don’t care about cheap. Inexpensive is good with me though!
1. What makes their intake better? And price?

2. Also, are you talking primary or secondary cat?

3. Hot pipe is what? Downpipe?

Im sold on a water/meth setup i think because I live in Florida but I am hoping to do a couple other mods first(intake/exhaust). Hoping to see a few setups at car shows in the meantime so I can learn more about them.
Btw thanks for the help man. Learning is fun

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I don’t have Facebook. Are they on any forums? Also, I don’t care about cheap. Inexpensive is good with me though!
1. What makes their intake better? And price?

2. Also, are you talking primary or secondary cat?

3. Hot pipe is what? Downpipe?

Im sold on a water/meth setup i think because I live in Florida but I am hoping to do a couple other mods first(intake/exhaust). Hoping to see a few setups at car shows in the meantime so I can learn more about them.
Btw thanks for the help man. Learning is fun
1. Large filter and velocity stack make it better than others. $250

2. Both cats. One in the DP one in the mid pipe.

3. Hot pipe is from turbo to intercooler pipe. Pipe on left in the picture for your VT. A downpipe will help as well but minimal gains over a gutted oem downpipe.

Yes water/meth will pull 40-60°F + from the intake air temperatures when setup properly. This helps a lot in general but moreso in hot areas especially with an ecu that pulls power based on IAT over more than just the lower air density itself will drop power.

Read through my posts on this forum for some learning if you want..... ;-)

Reactions: sonic_velo.turbo

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
My philosophy on CAIs/SRIs is they're all metal pipes. Get the cheapest metal pipe you can and get yourself a nice filter for it. Ebay is your friend :)

Can't say that I'm convinced on the whole heat shield thing either. But hey, I like cool brand name parts too!

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Flow is priority #1 for the intake to make power. Filtration is key to help protect the engine. Heat can be dealt with easily on the charge air side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts