Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was told to post this here. I had originally posted this on /r/cars over on reddit, in addition to the Veloster forum.

I've need advice on how to advance with my Lemon.

I've had my 2015 Hyundai Veloster Turbo since September. In December, the car's engine light came on, accompanied with loss of power and rough idling.

I will now go into detail on each trip to the dealership:

1) December 13th, 2014. Brought it to the local dealership (Rick Case Hyundai at Duluth). Engine light was on. They returned the car to me saying the engine just had a misfire, and it wasn't an issue. They reset the error and sent me on my way.

Problem came back.

2) January 4-5th. This time, they upgraded the software in my ECU. Drove it 3 miles, and gave it back to me.

Problem came back.

3) January 9-13th. They told me the gas I was putting into the car was bad, and that I needed to use Premium fuel. Obviously bs, as the car is made to run on Regular.

Problem came back.

4) January 14-22nd. Replaced all fuel injectors and O2 sensor. Dealership drove my car for 231 miles. Returned the car to me.

Problem came back, not even 2 miles away from the dealership (as I was leaving to go home). At this point, I ended up calling Hyundai Customer Care and explained the situation. They told me to bring the car back to the dealership, and I would be contacted by someone from Hyundai Regional.

5) January 26-present. Car has been at the dealership for 5 weeks. (Six weeks come March 2nd). They have replaced both fuel pumps, the regulator, and the ECU. They called me February 16th and told me they drove some ~300 miles and it was fine. Then, an hour later, they called me back and told me the issue arose again.

All of last week, I attempted to get a hold of Regional (you would not believe how impossible it is to get a phone call through to the lady I was told to contact). After finally reaching her, I told her that my car has been out of service for 30+ days regarding the same issue after multiple repair attempts. I asked about making a deal; I wanted them to either replace my car or repurchase my car; otherwise, I'd pursue the Lemon Law. I was told repurchasing the vehicle was easier for them. She told me she'd speak to her manager (the regional manager) and I'd hear back within the week.

On February 20th, she told me that her manager wouldn't offer to repurchase my car because repair attempts were still being made; based on her wording, she made it sound like the manager didn't understand GA's Lemon Law, because he was saying I needed to submit a "Final Repair Attempt Request"--which I didn't need to given my car has been out of service for 30+ days.

So, I mailed Hyundai my Lemon Law form on February 21st.

I tried contacting Hyundai through Facebook and was PM'd to keep working with Hyundai regional.

I shouldn't even have to go through Lemon Law; and if I may say so, I'm certain that I won't hear from Hyundai regarding my Lemon Law request. Per GA's Lemon Law, if they don't respond within 20 days, I have to go to state arbitration.

I'm a college student and I don't have time for this to be resolved. I haven't driven my car in six weeks, yet I've been making payments on it.

I want people to realize that this is how Hyundai treats customers at the corporate level. Dealerships suck--but one would expect that corporate would be more understanding and helpful. I'm defenseless, and I don't feel like they care.

Is there anything else I can do to out pressure on Hyundai? Obviously, this is the last time I buy one; but I feel helpless now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done. This isn't going to put pressure on them though.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Hyundai customer service and quality of product is why most of us former VT owners left. My encounters weren't nearly as frustrating as what you've had to deal with. I'd say get a lawyer.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I say copy the link of this thread and post it to their facebook, twitter, etc page... it will get deleted but some ppl will see it before they delete it.
Sorry to hear you can't even enjoy the VT.
Good luck.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
There has to be a forum member here that is in Georgia that knows of a good dealer to help you. Find them,..explain what has happened. You would be surprised what one good contact that takes responsibility can accomplish. Any reputable, successful dealer will make money from Hyundai ensuring that you are taken care of. All warranty repairs are totally covered to the dealer by Hyundai USA.

**It does sound like you have ran across very simple-minded non competent service departments so far. I would suggest you screening the dealers by their size, and number of service techs who are EQUUS certified. Only the most experienced savy techs get the EQUUS certifications. Likewise the EQUUS guys do all turbo work.

**Come on Georgia dudes,..give him some help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
so the car idles rough and has a loss of power.. Anyone replace anything ignition related..? failed plugs / coils? Maybe call and suggest that. Just a suggestion IDK what else to do at this point to accelerate the process. End of the day you need a working car for school try and ask for a loaner due to this being a brand new freaking vehicle!!

Good luck bud

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought my R Spec also from rick case in duluth. I hope you get this resolved. This is my fifth Hyundai since 2003. Only trips to the dealer in fla were motor mount recall, blown speaker, head light bulb burned out in all those years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
To the OP, it's a crazy thought, but have you considered taking it to a local KIA dealership? I know it's not officially the same, but they are under the same parent company.

As far as the Lemon Law, it's not necessarily as cut and dry as you may think it is. That being said, if you're at a university with a law school, go get some friendly non-binding advice from one of the law students/professors. If not, you'll want to at least chat with a lawyer about your situation.

If they have not given you a loaner, I'd call Hyundai Customer Care again and demand a loaner vehicle, as that is ridiculous, and it's the least they can do. Best of luck to you. I wish I could tell you that other brands will always do better, but I can pretty much guarantee that unless you go to a premium brand (see Lexus, Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, BMW, MB, etc.) you'll have the same kind of hit and miss service. I have personally seen it with all of the US Big 3 and with Honda. It's very hit and miss, but one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the OP, it's a crazy thought, but have you considered taking it to a local KIA dealership? I know it's not officially the same, but they are under the same parent company.

As far as the Lemon Law, it's not necessarily as cut and dry as you may think it is. That being said, if you're at a university with a law school, go get some friendly non-binding advice from one of the law students/professors. If not, you'll want to at least chat with a lawyer about your situation.

If they have not given you a loaner, I'd call Hyundai Customer Care again and demand a loaner vehicle, as that is ridiculous, and it's the least they can do. Best of luck to you. I wish I could tell you that other brands will always do better, but I can pretty much guarantee that unless you go to a premium brand (see Lexus, Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, BMW, MB, etc.) you'll have the same kind of hit and miss service. I have personally seen it with all of the US Big 3 and with Honda. It's very hit and miss, but one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.
The Kia dealership is owned by the same guy, Rick Case. However, I didn't think of that.

I bought my R Spec also from rick case in duluth. I hope you get this resolved. This is my fifth Hyundai since 2003. Only trips to the dealer in fla were motor mount recall, blown speaker, head light bulb burned out in all those years.
Lucky you. I've had nothing but issues with Dick Case. This is my third Hyundai, and they're the closest dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2,478 Posts
I'm not sure if you would have had a better success at Rick Case Alpharetta. They had 3 blown VT motors that they we're replacing in the same week. Duluth to my knowledge was a good dealership...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem 2 days after I picked up my car (2014 VT manual). They had it for about a day and it turned out the "engine harness" was loose. I never got any more detail than that but I have not had the issue since. They told me its not an uncommon problem with these cars from the factory. Probably won't help but figured it couldn't hurt to pass on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Depending on the size of the school you attend you may also have a free legal service available through your school. I know my university has a whole internal office for student legal services and they will assist with various cases, documents, or issues of a certain magnitude or be able to advise you of additional courses of action/direct you to outside resources for further assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You cannot have warranty work on a Hyundai performed at a Kia dealership. It does not work that way.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My experience with Hyundai as detailed in my sig was terrible. I will never own another Hyundai and I cannot in good faith recommend the brand to anyone else. I hope you have better luck than I did. The attorney I talked to said Hyundai will fight you tooth and nail to not have to replace or repair a vehicle. I really hope Hyundai gets themselves back on track when it comes to taking care of their customers and the claim of "America's best Warranty"

Sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts