Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the recommendation for injector cleaner? Is there a specific brand that works best on these cars?
Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you looking for something to pour in-tank or to run straight through the fuel rail/injector? Going through the fuel rail/injector will be a lot more effective at removing crud but is usually not necessary unless you've identified the injector needs that kind of cleaning. For periodic maintenance in-tank should suit you just fine.

Pulling injectors on our direct-injection cars involved replacing four seals PER INJECTOR if you do it the way the service manual wants you to, and involves special tools to mount those seals. I'm personally not going to ever go that route unless I absolutely have to, which leaves through the fuel rail or in-tank. Going through the rail involves ANOTHER specific tool to mount onto the line that screws onto the high pressure fuel pump, which runs ~$150 at a minimum, and I can't find it anywhere for rent, so that's another no-go for me. If you go that route, I'd use whatever cleaner is recommended for the tool you're using.

To my understanding Techron is what's used by dealerships and is probably the go-to if you're worried about warranties. My personal choice would be SeaFoam just because it's been around and used forever, and a lot of people swear by it. Both can be poured in-tank.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,231 Posts
No need for injector cleaner

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
634 Posts
No need for injector cleaner
If you're referring to cleaning the valves I would agree.
But injector cleaner does keep the injector nozzles at their optimum spray pattern so yes injector cleaner is needed on an occasional basis. 😜🤷🏼‍♂️😉

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AR, I meant regular add to tank cleaner.
The maintenance regimen says to add fuel injector cleaner every 5k “if not top tier fuel...”. No clue what they mean by that so was just going to go with a pour in bottle. When I was getting parts at the dealer I saw a valvoline all in one maintenance pack. But the cleaner in it was a direct to fuel rail setup.

·
Registered
75 Posts
"If not top tier fuel" probably refers to octane rating, in this case anything under 91 octane (which you almost certainly shouldn't be using anyway). I still use in-tank injector cleaner every now and then just in case. It's one of those things that can't hurt, and isn't very expensive. That said, it's something that isn't NECESSARY at a certain service interval, just (in my opinion) a good idea. At <$10 a can, I don't see any reason not to use some every oil change or so.

If you could give us a link to the maintenance pack we could tell you a little more about it, but I don't see why anything that goes direct to fuel rail couldn't be poured in-tank if you really wanted to. It'll just be less effective when diluted with gasoline.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,231 Posts
If you run top tier 91+ gasoline and the car is ran regularly then you do not need any type of fuel injection cleaner additive. Now if neither of these happen then it would not hurt to use something especially right after the car has not been run for a while.

Due to the pressure and heat a GDI injector sees there is usually very little buildup compared to older conventional injector types. I've seen em flow tested, cleaned, and flow tested again with very little change in output or spray patterns. GDI injector that has never seen any type of cleaners that is.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you run top tier 91+ gasoline and the car is ran regularly then you do not need any type of fuel injection cleaner additive. Now if neither of these happen then it would not hurt to use something especially right after the car has not been run for a while.

Due to the pressure and heat a GDI injector sees there is usually very little buildup compared to older conventional injector types. I've seen em flow tested, cleaned, and flow tested again with very little change in output or spray patterns. GDI injector that has never seen any type of cleaners that is.
I use Seafoam specifically because it's a fuel stabilizer as well as a cleaner that has performed flawlessly in my cars for years.
My car does sit for 4-6 weeks at a time while I'm on the road in the freight shaker so the cleaner is needed and since I do use 100% 93 octane gas the station selling it may not have all the bells and whistles of the top tier gas stations for keeping fresh gas in their tanks. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I rest my case. 🤐🤫😴 😂😉👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
I suggest you to use high octane fuel and replace your fuel filter frequently. Injector cleaner is a fuel pump killer plus is going to damage every rubber parts like hoses, seals, etc.....

·
Registered
634 Posts
I suggest you to use high octane fuel and replace your fuel filter frequently. Injector cleaner is a fuel pump killer plus is going to damage every rubber parts like hoses, seals, etc.....
What makes you say this?
I've never heard of this and you'll get more damage from ethanol in your fuel than any purported damage from fuel injector cleaner. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤨

Hyundai's have no fuel filters to change unless you're describing the screen filter in the tank attached to the fuel pump. That's only replaceable when you pull the fuel pump from the tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What makes you say this?
I've never heard of this and you'll get more damage from ethanol in your fuel than any purported damage from fuel injector cleaner. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤨

Hyundai's have no fuel filters to change unless you're describing the screen filter in the tank attached to the fuel pump. That's only replaceable when you pull the fuel pump from the tank.
I am writing in general issues that I had with different cars before. I try to stay away from that.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am writing in general issues that I had with different cars before. I try to stay away from that.
Interesting you say that because I've been using carb/ fuel injector cleaners since 1980 and in every car I've owned. I've never had a fuel related issue with any that I've used and that means pretty much everything you see on the shelf at most auto parts.
I now only use the Techron by Chevron and Seafoam cleaners as they've worked best than anything I've used over the years.

Sorry you've had issues. Maybe it's the fuel you're using with ethanol in the gas.
I use 100% pure gas 93 octane for the last 35 years and may also be a reason I have no fuel related issues. Ethanol is known to do what you described in the fuel systems if the car is t designed for it.
That btw is for most cars in the road unless they're flex fuel which is designed for the ethanol.

All good and good luck. 👍🙏🏽

1 - 12 of 12 Posts