Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i am looking into improving my air flow for added performance. How important is it to match the diameter of intake/downpipe/exhaust. Maybe the downpipe doesn't belong with the others but i am looking at one with a Highflow Catalytic Converter, hoping to pass inspection. If that will not pass, is there an advantage to going with the high flow instead of a catless? My other question is does an air intake always improve high rpm at the expense of low rpm power? Also i don't understand how a less restrictive air flow slows down low rpm vs stock intakes if that is the case. Maybe it was the type of car or parameters of the testing from this video?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm using 3.5inch short ram intake 3 inch catless downpipe and 3 inch pipes to a 3 inch high flow racing glasspack I didn't notice it any slower in the low or high end the car seems way better at both before this 14psi was the max I saw now 19psi is max 15-18 average
a cold air intake has a lot more piping and sits inside the bumper which could be why the times were slower... the stock downpipe is by far the most restrictive adding the intake by itself I didn't notice much gains at all.... depending where you are from changing the stock exhaust at all could fail a visual inspection

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, seems so silly i could go buy a giant truck but i can't make my exhaust less restrictive. So you think i should go from the back forward exhaust/downpipe/intake? He had very similar results with the SRI just less loss and gain but still slower on the low side. Does the catless make more noise? Also, no problems getting the intake wet?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Catless is way way way louder than stock I'll try to.get a video/ drive by of what I got tomorrow my car isn't tuned yet still waiting for FMIC. SRI no problems CAI yes if you are in a wet area don't recommend it dry area it's fine

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
The I have a catted 3" to 3" solo and a 3.5" SRI intake. No issues whatsoever with power.
The 'wet filter' issue is a myth. As long as the filter doesn't get submerged you're fine. But a little rain is no major concern.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is the sound on that, i guess Massachusetts law says you can't have an exhaust that amplifies the sound past stock. Or some bullcrap like that. Sounds like selective enforcement to me.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I know CA had a similar law and it states something to the effect of "A stock exhaust may not be replaced or modified in such a way as to increase the sound of the vehicle above that of the stock exhaust system." At least that's the one I got written up for many years ago.

But like you said, it was very subjective and when I got ticketed for it, it was because the officer I was dealing with had a personal point to prove to me. Long story there.

Now, most of our exhaust laws have to do with how many decibels is your exhaust registers at a certain distance and speed and I can't say for certain if that other law is even still on the books. I don't remember the exact numbers but I do know the Magnaflow exhaust I have on my Sky, while loud, is CA legal. You have to be VERY loud to be over the limits and unless you're being obnoxious or doing something stupid (or have an officer with a grudge against you) most officers won't bat an eye at you.

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
How is the sound on that, i guess Massachusetts law says you can't have an exhaust that amplifies the sound past stock. Or some bullcrap like that. Sounds like selective enforcement to me.
Well if you're in Mass... Step outside now and I'll rev her up for you.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Unless your running a full cat back the exhaust is still quiet even with a Catless DP. Mine is still quieter than a stock srt4, speed3 or even a wrx. I could bearly hear it over my SRI when I had it on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, your ride looks pretty sick. Any problems with the smoked out lights? How is the six point brace with our torn up roads?

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
lol, your ride looks pretty sick. Any problems with the smoked out lights? How is the six point brace with our torn up roads?
If she's not next to another V you can't really tell they are smoked. But our tails are pretty bright so even a bit darker and they would be fine.
The six point has needed to get repainted a couple of times but I've never gotten high-centered on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts