Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Really no need to upgrade the intercooler unless pushing more air than OEM turbo, you want the most power per psi, you want to hold more boost at elevation safer, or for aesthetics. My suggestion is a proper setup water/meth injection kit if you simply want power and cooling and no heat soak. But yes, universal kits have been used before. Mishimoto has been the popular one used. Also SXTH has some highly discounted cores as well on their site.

·
Registered
2016 VT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well was looking into doing atune and place said fort me to get upgraded ic and afr gauge. What would be the worry I would run into if going universal? And what kits and piping am I looking for for the upgraded intercooler?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
You do not need an upgraded intercooler or afr gauge for a tune period. You actually need to be concerned with other things well before either one of those. Plus water injection setup properly is WAY more effective.

Only worry going universal is fitment and boost leaks. There is not kit to look for when going universal. You piece together your own kit. FB group like Veloster Nation will have the most info on this as several there have done it but not here.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Proper maintenance and bolt ons before tuning. What those are will be highly dependent on goals for and use of the car.

·
Registered
2016 VT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mind sending a list for me to get.. I have a aem cold air and a bov.. gutted 2nd cat and straight pipe after that

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Need to know current car MY, transmission, goals/use of car, mileage, and current mods. Also where are you located/what weather and driving conditions will the car see?

·
Registered
2016 VT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
16 VT automatic.. round Rock Texas. Aem cold air ..bov.. godspeed lowering springs.2nd cat gutted 2 1/5in pipe straight pipe after that.. looking for more power better throttle response .it's my daily and I do get on it alot since it's a straight shot home from work on a toll..65kmiles

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Be sure use oils best for the car with OEM filter and change every 3k miles. HKS M45XL plugs @ .024" gap. 91+ octane fuel. I can set you up with a good water injection kit. Also can setup with colder thermostat and higher psi radiator cap. With those you can tune the car to 250 whp area no problem and beat the car on a good tune. Any more will require more mods for flow mostly.

Also do not get tuned by someone just because local or convenient. Go with the better tune available for the car. No reason not to(other than just trying to be cheap which is not the approach to take on a good tune) when all tuners can do remote tuning.

·
Registered
2016 VT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The water injection how does that work? What are the gains on that?.. I use 93octane every fill up and add a octane booster every oil change to help with injectors.. I heard the water injection aren't good on dailys? But I've been hearing mixed things on that.. need to get the upgraded hot pipe and cold pipe.. but for the cold only see the couplers no hard pipe..

·
Registered
2016 VT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want the most out of the stock before adding a bigger turbo and intercooler and I guess before a tune.. on the tune I did only see one because of the convenience and it's local to be honest

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Look up on google how water injection works. Go to sites like AEM, devils own, snow Performance etc for explanation as well. The kits I put together typically gain 7-10%+ power. By no means is it a bad idea on a daily driver unless you have it tuned to run with the water/meth injection kit only all the time which nobody does.

No need to waste $ on octane boosters on 93.

I have hot and cold pipes but those are only needed if you never plan to replace the OEM intercooler and want more power than 250 whp area. For you no reason to plan on replacing the intercooler or the turbo yet as the transmission will be the limited factor as the TCU has not been cracked for tuning yet. So more than OEM turbo power limits not happening anyway until that's sorted.

Nobody local to you that I can recall have a good VT tune. Genesis, maybe, but not VT..... Trust me, on a tune you do not go with convenience over quality. Too easy to get a remote tune that better than to settle with something just because local.

·
Registered
2016 VT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you think what I have now and a upgraded hotpipe would be good enough for the stock turbo and trans.. seriously thinking about the meth injection you have before the tune.. I think I asked you about the hotpipe before but you haven't gotten the couplers yet.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Yes waiting on couplers from china but can source some local just cost much more. Sxth was running a sale on theirs recently so that may still be going on.

No need for use of meth in a kit unless you wanted a slight better cooling/octane/power/cleaning over water alone. Which water does good with 40°F iat drops even while just cruising on highway when setup properly.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Arming water/meth while on the highway to show effectiveness.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Good move with the price they have them at right now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts