Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Full DP is best on the 16's for sure based on the different variations I've tuned.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Fyi Tork FMIC pics 1 and 2 vs OEM intercooler with water/meth pic 3 and 4 from a heat soaked point

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Pierce is the bet one right now that I've seen until I have mine made.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Fyi, regarding the OEM intercooler, it is a major flow restriction in the mix even on the OEM turbo. Something along the lines of 3 psi pressure drop if the turbo is pushed hard. Thing is the cost to upgrade vs gains.

The good FMIC kits will gain 15 whp in these cars and cost $600-$1200 area. Yet a good hot pipe will add 7-8 whp for $160. So you're paying an extra $440-$1040 on a FMIC for the extra 7-8 hp just the hot pipe does not provide at the cost of some extra response and lag.

Water/meth injection will add the same or more power than a FMIC kit will and have more benefits and better cooling for $600 area.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fyi, regarding the OEM intercooler, it is a major flow restriction in the mix even on the OEM turbo. Something along the lines of 3 psi pressure drop if the turbo is pushed hard. Thing is the cost to upgrade vs gains.

The good FMIC kits will gain 15 whp in these cars and cost $600-$1200 area. Yet a good hot pipe will add 7-8 whp for $160. So you're paying an extra $440-$1040 on a FMIC for the extra 7-8 hp just the hot pipe does not provide at the cost of some extra response and lag.

Water/meth injection will add the same or more power than a FMIC kit will and have more benefits and better cooling for $600 area.
To piggy back on what @trdtoy said. I'm kinda on a similar build route. Still on the stock IC. If you want more smiles per gallon, the intercooler is probably last on the upgrade list (right before upgrading the stock turbo). Tune, most smiles. Intake and exhaust big smiles. Cold pipe, hot pipe, BOV more smiles.

The stock IC can stay until you decide you're ready to jump into the deep end and chase bigger numbers... and empty your pockets in the process lol.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
This is just to show OEM intercooler flow and efficiency vs an aftermarket upgraded unit

·
Registered
114 Posts
Figured I'd ask in here instead of making a new one, @trdtoy . I was considering getting an fmic then a tune. I currently have i belive the 1st ed finned orhp, 60mm tb with orcp.(rip x) Would I be better off just getting wm injection then tune or would a fmic be better for future proofing?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
You'd be better off with a progressive water/meth injection kit setup properly. Your flow is ok with what you have for an OEM turbo so you mostly need cooling which that will be the superior choice. Let me know if you need to be setup with something appropriate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You'd be better off with a progressive water/meth injection kit setup properly. Your flow is ok with what you have for an OEM turbo so you mostly need cooling which that will be the superior choice. Let me know if you need to be setup with something appropriate.
Ya dude shoot me some info. Im always open to diff routes/ideas. Especially if it's more bang for buck

21 - 32 of 32 Posts