Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just headed out for a drive this morning and got about 2 miles. Suddenly lost power, heard a knocking sound and saw oil pressure light come on. Not sure if it is a rod knock or valve noise. I tried to give it a brief rev a couple times to see if it would get oil pressure but no luck. I noticed when I increased throttle the hammering sound increased and when I let off the throttle completely the hammering completely disappeared. Not exactly sure what that means for diagnosis. I pulled over about 100 ft later onto a nice wide right shoulder and turned it off. I left it there and had my wife come and pick me up. I will go back out and check it out later.

Car Bio:
2016 VT DCT 71K miles (I have owned since 24K miles)
Hyundai says it is NOT part of the recall, not even one that is supposed to get inspected.
I use full synthetic oil and change it about every 3K-4K miles in consideration of driving conditions. I change the filter every time I change the oil.
I also use Lucas Oil Stabilizer at every oil change.
I have a JB4 running a mild tune. (Map 1)
I recently also was having some trouble with the #4 injector not flowing well at idle.
I was running E15 for several months but I switched to 91 octane for the last couple fill-ups since my thought was the richness from extra ethanol might have been gumming up the injector.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
are you still under the manufacturers warranty?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrNicG

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
are you still under the manufacturers warranty?

AFAIK the MFR warranty includes 100K for drivetrain, so yes. When I bought the car used I was given warranty information and informed it transfers with the sale. My local dealership has replaced something else under warranty before.
Gonna go see about getting it home, get the JB4 removed, and reach out to Hyundai.

Edit: Just found out that beyond 60K miles it is "extended warranty" to 100K miles and that is only for the original owner. Poop...
Time to built a full new motor with big turbo? :-D

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went out and checked on it. The oil was barely on the dipstick. I added two quarts that I had with me and the level on the dipstick didn’t change. I have seen a car before that had damaged internals and one or more cylinders filled with the oil instead of it going down to the pan. I think it was some sort of head damage in that case. I will try adding some more oil and see if the level changes and then take a peak in the spark plug holes.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took a total of 3.5Q to reach the full line which is insane because I just topped off the oil about 600 miles ago. At that time I had noticed my drain bolt was leaking a little and swapped it out real quick and topped off the oil to compensate for the small amount that came out when I swapped the new drain bolt in. I have never had any oil loss between changes.
After adding oil just now, the hammering sound got more quiet, to the point that I thought it had almost gone away and just needed a little more oil pressure. I went to limp home and then noticed that the hammering is still there and now it's constant, regardless of throttle.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Try calling Hyundai corp. They can force the dealership to do the repairs. A lot of the bad press is the dealerships, the main company hate's bad service practice.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try calling Hyundai corp. They can force the dealership to do the repairs.
Hyundai corp confirmed the dealer was correct in saying my car is not part of the recall. I told them that per the writeup for the recall my car should at least get inspected and get a new knock sensor. Their response was simply "I entered your VIN and the computer says there are no recalls for it". That was only slightly better than the dealership telling me they haven't heard of any recall for Velosters.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I called and spoke to a person, the website like to make people around circles.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called and spoke to a person, the website like to make people around circles.
Yeah, I did too. The person basically just pasted the VIN in the website. I suppose I can call back and be a bit more stubborn now that it has a problem.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hyundai corp confirmed the dealer was correct in saying my car is not part of the recall. I told them that per the writeup for the recall my car should at least get inspected and get a new knock sensor. Their response was simply "I entered your VIN and the computer says there are no recalls for it". That was only slightly better than the dealership telling me they haven't heard of any recall for Velosters.
Regardless if the car is under a "recall" or not, you have a warranty. I have gone through 5 warranty claims with Hyundai on 3 different vehicles, so I'm pretty familiar with these scenarios.

I assume you already have an appointment made for the car to be diagnosed in which they will say you have to pay if the car is not a warranted issue.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regardless if the car is under a "recall" or not, you have a warranty. I have gone through 5 warranty claims with Hyundai on 3 different vehicles, so I'm pretty familiar with these scenarios.

I assume you already have an appointment made for the car to be diagnosed in which they will say you have to pay if the car is not a warranted issue.

I edited my previous reply to you. I learned that beyond 60K miles the warranty is only for the original owner.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I edited my previous reply to you. I learned that beyond 50K miles the warranty is only for the original owner.
dammit

Was any major work done previous to you purchase?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dammit

Was any major work done previous to you purchase?

Not to my knowledge. It only had 24K miles and it had some paperwork with it that even included the original bill of sale.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still owe on it too, but definitely not underwater on it. I might sell it and see how close I can get to what I owe on it. I am not sure I am up to the task of rebuilding it myself. I'm too busy these days and gettin' a little old.
If anyone is in Central Florida and wants more info, DM me.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,569 Posts
Yup that's not good :-(
Hard to say if piggyback related or not. Seems it may ran low on oil somehow. Curious what the damage is on it.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup that's not good :-(
Hard to say if piggyback related or not. Seems it may ran low on oil somehow. Curious what the damage is on it.
Yeah, it definitely ran low on oil. I have no idea how it could have lost so much oil in such a short time. My buddy said he knew someone that had a leaky injector and the fuel leaked down into the oil, changed the characteristics of it, and resulted in it basically evaporating/ blowing out the exhaust.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,569 Posts
Hard to say at this point. May know more once torn apart.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
what's the update?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts