Veloster Turbo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, it definitely ran low on oil. I have no idea how it could have lost so much oil in such a short time. My buddy said he knew someone that had a leaky injector and the fuel leaked down into the oil, changed the characteristics of it, and resulted in it basically evaporating/ blowing out the exhaust.
It can happened due to a turbo seal oil leak.

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Man, the more you keep running it can lead to more damage. That don't sound good at all.
I just turned it on for that few seconds to record it to capture the sound so it doesnt need to be started again for anyone else to hear it.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
what's the update?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It is on its way to Hyundai now via tow truck. The service department said they will probably be able to get warranty approval even though I am the second owner, they just need to diagnose it first.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yup that's not good :-(
Hard to say if piggyback related or not. Seems it may ran low on oil somehow. Curious what the damage is on it.
I agree. We can at least be sure at this point that going the piggyback route didn't prevent it. When I get it back together I am probably just going to run stock tune and mostly let my kids use it for learning to drive. I have another toy coming to keep me occupied for a while and the VT will just be my more practical option.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,569 Posts
You can determine what may have caused nor prevented this until the engine is torn apart.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The service department just called me and let me know that Hyundai Corporate has agreed to pay 60% of the cost of the engine replacement. Yippee...
Maybe I should just try driving it home now and watch it blow up on the street in front of the dealership. I'll bet that would hurt their business a little.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
that's great news! keep us informed of costs if you don't mind sharing when you can.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I figure
that's great news! keep us informed of costs if you don't mind sharing when you can.

That's shit for news. An estimate of a minimum of $4K (my portion) for something they know damn well happens to most of these engines and they are supposed to be recalling most of them. Something that would be completely under warranty if I wasn't the second owner. That's about a third of the value of the car. This will be the last Hyundai I ever own and will do my best to ensure anyone I know who ever considers a Hyundai or Kia is informed about how they literally have tried to sweep consumer deaths under the rug because of this defect.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I had my engine repaired with $1,300. Did it myself. Please see link below. Hope this help you.

Hyundaioemparts.com
This seems like a good option. I have purchased other parts from them before and didn't think about that. I was looking at maybe getting built internals from kdmtuners.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
Used engine with low miles from a 15-17 would be cheaper. Throw in ARP head studs while its out. Good for 300+ hp with good supporting mods and tuning.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I figure

That's shit for news. An estimate of a minimum of $4K (my portion) for something they know damn well happens to most of these engines and they are supposed to be recalling most of them. Something that would be completely under warranty if I wasn't the second owner. That's about a third of the value of the car. This will be the last Hyundai I ever own and will do my best to ensure anyone I know who ever considers a Hyundai or Kia is informed about how they literally have tried to sweep consumer deaths under the rug because of this defect.
oof. I thought it was gonna be less than 1k to fix, that's awful news! so sorry bud. are you going to try to fight it?

Reactions: misnblu and nvyseal

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Used engine with low miles from a 15-17 would be cheaper. Throw in ARP head studs while its out. Good for 300+ hp with good supporting mods and tuning.
Mine started out as a 2016 with 24K miles. Lol. But yeah, I found some junk yard pulls with like 17K miles for around $1300-2300 depending on source.

·
Registered
11 Posts
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
you could try to report it to the consumer protection bureau or something to let them know other vehicles are having the issue besides the recalled ones.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
You will need 13-17 but 15-17 low mileage is best.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
696 Posts
I agree. We can at least be sure at this point that going the piggyback route didn't prevent it. When I get it back together I am probably just going to run stock tune and mostly let my kids use it for learning to drive. I have another toy coming to keep me occupied for a while and the VT will just be my more practical option.
I'm curious about 'another toy coming'. 🤔🧐
Best of luck on all this. 🙏🏽👍

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So, full update. The reason Hyundai agreed to 60/40 was because the service department did report that I modified it, so I admit that is fair. Hyundai was NOT concerned that I am the second owner, so I respect that. It also appears that the person that told me $4K minimum was quoting the full cost because I was just given a “final” quote of just $1400+ tax. The tax will be based on my 40%, not the full cost of the parts, which is good news too. I wanted to give a full update because it admittedly shows Hyundai in a better light and I wanted to be fair on this forum.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So, full update. The reason Hyundai agreed to 60/40 was because the service department did report that I modified it, so I admit that is fair. Hyundai was NOT concerned that I am the second owner, so I respect that. It also appears that the person that told me $4K minimum was quoting the full cost because I was just given a “final” quote of just $1400+ tax. The tax will be based on my 40%, not the full cost of the parts, which is good news too. I wanted to give a full update because it admittedly shows Hyundai in a better light and I wanted to be fair on this forum.
so my assumption of the 1k mark was about right, that's better news man.

Reactions: misnblu and MrNicG
21 - 40 of 40 Posts