Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2013 for my son with 95000 miles and on the way home when accelerating to get on the highway lots of white smoke and not much power. I stopped and got gas on the way and the same thing happened again getting on the highway. The car also seems to not have much acceleration compared to what I have read. I am really screwed here because it came with an AS IS warranty so I have to fix this myself. I am not familiar with Hyundai so I am not sure where to start. I want to repair this issue before the engine blows or whatever else may happen.
Any help on diagnosing the problem or where to start would be greatly appreciated.
Also, the car runs fine in city driving because that is where we test drove. Seemed like a great running engine until last night.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,652 Posts
White smoke is usually coolant from a headgasket leak. You can find much information on the forums here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
White smoke is usually coolant from a headgasket leak. You can find much information on the forums here.
Thanks trdtoy. That is what I suspected after reading several posts here, but, last night I checked codes and there are none. Wouldn't a blown head gasket throw some code? The engine runs reallyt well at idle...

Here are 2 more observations.

1) There is oil in the inner cooler. It sounded like there was water somewhere in the intake and I found the inner cooler had oil collected inside. (I have read this indicates PCV or turbo seals leaking?) I pulled the PCV valve and it rattles and in GM engines that means the PCV valve is fine, hopefully, the same applies here.

2) There is a loud turbo whistle sort of sound upon startup but then it quits. While driving it home two nights ago there was a loud whistling all the way home. So loud it was hard to hear the radio. And to me, this is not a "good turbo whistle" if that makes sense? I am only familiar with diesel (Duramax, Cummins) turbos. I think I mentioned before the car has no get-up and go... to me it's like the turbo is not working.

My thinking is the turbo is failing but would that cause the white smoke? I do not know the steps to do diagnostics for this engine, can anyone tell me where I can get a service manual for this engine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts