Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered the turbosocks FMIC with the HKS BOV. There is one thing that has been confusing me so far and that's I have a K&N right now and see in the pictures that the BOV goes right in the filter area. Am I going to need to adjust things around to make the K&N work?

http://www.turbosocks.com/assets/fmic_install.pdf Im going to print these instructions off so I have them in hand during install but I was wondering if others had installed it and had some tips or advice. My plans are to take a whole Saturday to tackle the install, and take my time to make sure I get everything right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Definitely take your time. I just installed mine a weekend or 2 ago, and it took me a LOT longer than the 2 hours people keep saying it took them. Whether I'm just not as good mechanically as them or not, I don't know, but just take your time, follow Turbosocks' instruction file pdf that you linked to, and everything should be good.

Some advice I would like to give:
-Get EVERYTHING you need together prior to the install. I thought I had everything I needed, but I didn't account for the vacuum lines, extra clamps, or open ended wrenches.
-Be methodical with labeling what hardware goes where (ie bolts and screws) so you don't end up with that magic bolt that you swear materialized out of nowhere because you can't remember where it goes.
-Prepare yourself mentally for some sort of BOV fluttering event after the install. You might not have any problems at all, but just familiarize yourself with the common turbo flutter/BOV flutter issues some people have.
-And lastly, PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE lol

Some really handy links:

http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-performance/5465-turbosock-s-fmicv2-talking-points-lots-pics-3.html
http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-turbo-diy/8337-p2261-mechanical-fix-aftermarket-bov.html
http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-performance/11794-fmic-v2-turbo-flutter-chapter-40-a.html

Good luck! The forum is here for you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the help! What intake are you running? I'm worried the K&N wont fit with the HKS BOV.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No problem at all! If I can save you any of the time I've had to spend researching all of this @$#% I'll be as happy as a clam. I'm running an older version Turbosocks CAI (before the 3.5" diameter one, or even 3" I think.) I'm not having any clearance issues with the pipes, but I can see how the SRI set up would be problematic with the BOV. I'm not familiar with the K&N setup; is yours SRI?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMG_0093.JPG There's a pic. I doubt I will be able to keep the heat shied but that's no biggy.

I still haven't received anything on it shipping for turbosocks yet. I ordered it the 25th. I know I know have patience but I'm really hoping to get it on this weekend lol

·
Banned
91 Posts
I recently installed turbosocks Fmic and i love it. A couple things though before you start... throw all of you stock hose clamps away. They are 1 use. I broke 3 on install. They are worthless.

Dont put your bumper back on for a few days. I had to tweak lines and make adjustments and having the bumper on made everything so hard lol

Your k&n heat sheild will get the in way unfortunately

Point you hks bov downward so rain and debris cant enter the discharge port.

Make sure you do turbosocks boost hack. Your bov wont work right unless you do. Your going to get a CEL (p2261)when you put your car back together. This is how to fix it.

http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-turbo-diy/8337-p2261-mechanical-fix-aftermarket-bov.html

And have fun. Try not to get frustrated everything fits super tight. Just take it easy drink a few beers. You'll be done in no time :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front bumper will have to be on lol I work 45 minutes from home and I don't want bug guts everywhere.

What is the boost hack? I've heard of it but don't understand what it is. I'm very new to turbos and BOV's (lots of V8's in my past)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I also have a CNT catted DP on its way (looking like it will be this weekends project sense my FMIC still says awaiting processing :(

That should be a pretty straight forward install right?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I recently installed turbosocks Fmic and i love it. A couple things though before you start... throw all of you stock hose clamps away. They are 1 use. I broke 3 on install. They are worthless.

Dont put your bumper back on for a few days. I had to tweak lines and make adjustments and having the bumper on made everything so hard lol

Your k&n heat sheild will get the in way unfortunately

Point you hks bov downward so rain and debris cant enter the discharge port.

Make sure you do turbosocks boost hack. Your bov wont work right unless you do. Your going to get a CEL (p2261)when you put your car back together. This is how to fix it.

And have fun. Try not to get frustrated everything fits super tight. Just take it easy drink a few beers. You'll be done in no time :)
You don't HAVE to do the boost hack, and it can actually lead to some nasty issues down the road if you do it. Also, if you do the boost hack, there is no point on doing the "mechanical fix" with the reservoir. The boost hack completely bypasses the stock solenoid system and the mechanical fix taps into the IM vacuum line leading to the solenoid to provide more vacuum for the solenoid. Definitely be prepared for a CEL, though.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Front bumper will have to be on lol I work 45 minutes from home and I don't want bug guts everywhere.

What is the boost hack? I've heard of it but don't understand what it is. I'm very new to turbos and BOV's (lots of V8's in my past)
Ah nothing some bug remover wont fix!

The boost hack is basically tapping into the vacuum line on top of your t/b and using that line to draw vacuum for your bov. You will hold boost better and improve your peak boost.

·
Banned
91 Posts
You don't HAVE to do the boost hack, and it can actually lead to some nasty issues down the road if you do it. Also, if you do the boost hack, there is no point on doing the "mechanical fix" with the reservoir. The boost hack completely bypasses the stock solenoid system and the mechanical fix taps into the IM vacuum line leading to the solenoid to provide more vacuum for the solenoid. Definitely be prepared for a CEL, though.
I haven't run into any issues with mine using boost hack. If you read both boost hack thread and p2261 fix thread you'll learn why people do it.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

The boost hack is basically tapping into the vacuum line on top of your t/b and using that line to draw vacuum for your bov. You will hold boost better and improve your peak boost.
Yeah, but if you run without the front bumper your fender liners will get pushed against the front tires and shredded in about 30 seconds.

Don't ask me how I know this, please.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I haven't run into any issues with mine using boost hack. If you read both boost hack thread and p2261 fix thread you'll learn why people do it.
I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you here, but if you read those threads that you referenced you would not have suggested the OP does the boost hack AND the mechanical fix with the extra reservoir at the same time. You are suggesting the OP gets a vacuum reservoir to provide more vacuum to the solenoid and then bypassing that whole system anyway.

This is actually a really good thing to remember that I forgot. RESEARCH, research, read, and research some more. You will read several different things from different people. Some might work, some might not. I didn't do my due diligence and ran into some surprises that I could and should have been prepared for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm lost now. What's the safest way to got. This is my DD and I cant go with out it. What all do I need with the safest way that is not in the kit?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts