Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the turbo is already ramming oxygen into the engine, would a K&N air filter make a difference? Does anyone know if K&N has one for the VT?

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
A filter typically will not do much, but a SRI/CAI will help.. The hard piping provides better flow than the stock accordion rubber/plastic

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A filter typically will not do much, but a SRI/CAI will help.. The hard piping provides better flow than the stock accordion rubber/plastic
What is a SRI/CAI? I'm reasonable good with tools, but I'm a little nervous about turning bolts on a new car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i feel that quality aftermarket intake just filter air better than stock, also cold/ram have a nice sound to them. I've had my 06 x-runner for over 275,000 miles 200k with a K&N and its still run like new. i will be going aftermarket on my VT for sure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
from what i can see in the pictures , the na v and the turbo v share the same air box, so a drop in k and n should fit both cars ? !
am i correct

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would also like to point out, there is more than just a potential power gain advantage to a filter like a K&N
They are re-usabe, if properly washed, dried, lubricated and cared for, one filter can last the life of the vehicle
I have the foam style insert filters in all my vehicles

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Has anyone put one of these in the VT yet? I was looking at them and was wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in induction noise. My dad has had them in his cars for 20+ years and swares by them. His GTO and Pacifica both got slightly better mileage. They are much thinner than standard filters but use some kind of oil blend to catch debris while maintaning high airflow. That would increase the induction noice by a little bit I would think.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The drop-in filter will make 0 difference in the audio quality of your factory air-box. None.
I guess I got my hopes up but I didnt expect to much from it. Have you noticed any improvements with it such as mpg? I put on 3k miles a month and itll be a while until I get a CAI so ill probably get it anyway to save money on filters.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
MCM already busted the myth on air filter, you need to re-flash the computer to see any gains on newer cars.
Maybe on some cars, but from our experience we have seen gains from just about every air intake we have built. For drop in filters... the diesel market see's gains almost every time they drop in a high flowing replacement filter.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Maybe on some cars, but from our experience we have seen gains from just about every air intake we have built. For drop in filters... the diesel market see's gains almost every time they drop in a high flowing replacement filter.
I agree with you. This is just a dyno pull and as he stated in the one part with the pods the air temp was rising quickly but the more air it got the steadier the temp is. Cooler air is denser, and since our cars adjust boost based on parameters including intake temp, you should make slightly more boost I would think. There is no difference on a 20 second dyno pull but it should make a difference in spirited driving and specially on the track. Not to mention that every bit of heat you can take out of the equation helps. A CAI below the lower bumper should help a ton as its getting consistant fresh air and not warm engine bay air that changes tempature all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts