Veloster Turbo Forum banner

K&N cold air intake

7K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  trdtoy 
#1 ·
I want to get a k&n cold air intake for my VT but i was wondering if a tune is necessary after installation? will it hurt me if i don’t get a tune?

#8 ·
Interested in hearing what intake you bought after the K&N because of "terrible whooshing" sound that ALL aftermarket intakes make. Did you go back to stock/oem?

#4 ·
I too had the K&N switched to Sxth Element. Great upgrade

#10 ·
I come from F5... same engine, different shell.

The actual debate is - is the intake really needed? Ask yourself - what does it do to you?
Bear with me.

To produce power you need air. What is the limiting factor here? Temperature and flow.
Temperature - it is strictly controlled by IC. Hence, better cooling will make you more power.
Adding intake will increase flow, slightly, but nothing really noticeable in real life. I can say it from personal experience. Except the vacuum cleaner noise and maybe 2-4 HP (on the dyno, but not really in the butt) you get nothing.

Having said that - get a KN drop in (does almost same thing) and get yourself a TUNE.
This mod kills all the others. Yes, you can get a "stock" tune. Change spark plugs, pour 93 octane, and add KN. Tune will adjust, it still has safe mode, to avoid damage.

I did the math.
Intake, FMIC, few other mods - total maybe about 10 HP. Noise, lots of mods, lots of WORK, and little gain. Not to say it will look heavily modded.
Tune - "stock" sleeper :)

KN drop in adds some noise anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.