Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a k&n cold air intake for my VT but i was wondering if a tune is necessary after installation? will it hurt me if i don’t get a tune?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I too had the K&N switched to Sxth Element. Great upgrade

·
Registered
984 Posts
I had the K&N one and it made a terrible whooshing sound. Not recommended. I got rid of it.
Interested in hearing what intake you bought after the K&N because of "terrible whooshing" sound that ALL aftermarket intakes make. Did you go back to stock/oem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I come from F5... same engine, different shell.

The actual debate is - is the intake really needed? Ask yourself - what does it do to you?
Bear with me.

To produce power you need air. What is the limiting factor here? Temperature and flow.
Temperature - it is strictly controlled by IC. Hence, better cooling will make you more power.
Adding intake will increase flow, slightly, but nothing really noticeable in real life. I can say it from personal experience. Except the vacuum cleaner noise and maybe 2-4 HP (on the dyno, but not really in the butt) you get nothing.

Having said that - get a KN drop in (does almost same thing) and get yourself a TUNE.
This mod kills all the others. Yes, you can get a "stock" tune. Change spark plugs, pour 93 octane, and add KN. Tune will adjust, it still has safe mode, to avoid damage.

I did the math.
Intake, FMIC, few other mods - total maybe about 10 HP. Noise, lots of mods, lots of WORK, and little gain. Not to say it will look heavily modded.
Tune - "stock" sleeper :)

KN drop in adds some noise anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I played around with intakes before settling with the 3.5" from 845 i bought used. The smaller piped intakes like the K&N seemed to have a louder "suck" noise as apposed to turbo spool.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

The actual debate is - is the intake really needed? Ask yourself - what does it do to you?
Bear with me.

To produce power you need air. What is the limiting factor here? Temperature and flow.
Temperature - it is strictly controlled by IC. Hence, better cooling will make you more power.
Adding intake will increase flow, slightly, but nothing really noticeable in real life. I can say it from personal experience. Except the vacuum cleaner noise and maybe 2-4 HP (on the dyno, but not really in the butt) you get nothing.

Having said that - get a KN drop in (does almost same thing) and get yourself a TUNE.
This mod kills all the others. Yes, you can get a "stock" tune. Change spark plugs, pour 93 octane, and add KN. Tune will adjust, it still has safe mode, to avoid damage.

I did the math.
Intake, FMIC, few other mods - total maybe about 10 HP. Noise, lots of mods, lots of WORK, and little gain. Not to say it will look heavily modded.

Everyone can avoid reading this info as it has been proven otherwise many times over.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Bear with me.

I did the math.

shell

A tune with no mods would be a big waste IMO. And a drop in K&N I have found was a big waste other then being able to take it out and clean it (which is time consuming)which is the main reason I had one before my 845 3.5" intake. Driving dusty roads I was buying throw away filters every few months. Since you are coming from a different shell I will assume you have never seen what the intake air has to pass through hidden in the front fender. OP if you are local to NJ Ill hand you my K&N drop in filter to see for yourself. For the cost of the K&N drop in and the kit to clean it you could find a good used intake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interested in hearing what intake you bought after the K&N because of "terrible whooshing" sound that ALL aftermarket intakes make. Did you go back to stock/oem?
I almost eliminated the whooshing noise on the K&N by adding aluminum sheetmetal with sound deadening foam applied to surround the filter. Also added the shiny bubble wrap-type insulation to the cold air pipe. Looks great, cuts down the air temperature, and is almost as QUIET as stock...

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I almost eliminated the whooshing noise on the K&N by adding aluminum sheetmetal with sound deadening foam applied to surround the filter. Also added the shiny bubble wrap-type insulation to the cold air pipe. Looks great, cuts down the air temperature, and is almost as QUIET as stock...
You can easily modify the OEM airbox for free and remove the snorkel and silencer from behind the bumper and it will be quiet and pick up 5-6 whp. And with a clean filter will support 240 whp no problem. Otherwise you can make or buy a good 3.5" intake with large filter pretty reasonable for almost 2x the gains but there will be noise unless you make something to combat that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
shell

A tune with no mods would be a big waste IMO.
It is not a waste at all.

It is the fastest way to get the most performance boost with one mod and the least amount of money invested.

Stock 2016 VT with manual trans. Has boost solenoid and a tune from Tork.

Car can do 60 in 6 seconds and all power hesitation is gone.
It has eaten a Turbo Veloster, and its favorite weekly meal is Dodge's.
The trucks and SUV's with the HEMI regularly get challenged and almost all lose to my little 1.6.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also Flafast. Can you post a Pic of your engine bay? Sepicically the sound deadening mods to your filter and cold air pipe.
Thx. Very curious about this

1 - 20 of 22 Posts