Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Letigre21's Build Thread

54K views 353 replies 60 participants last post by  DaleReeves 
#1 · (Edited)
So thought it would be a good time to finally start a build thread. Not your typical build thread as my car is mostly completed....for now. I really want to keep the car clean and streamlined with a very OEM+ look.

As you may recall, I had done some work to my old car. View attachment Veloster Turbo 50mm 2.jpg

I lowered the car using ARK GT-F Springs. I added 15/20 Garageline spacers with KDM headlights. I liked the look, however, I wanted to take the car to the next level.

Which brings us to January/February 2014.
Phase 1: Suspension and wheel work

We all know the VT doesn't handle the greatest straight from the factory. I was getting sick and tired of the countless car magazines beating that issue to death. I really wanted to tackle some of the handling issues while achieving the clean OEM+ look I wanted.

First purchase: Wheels. Material property Red bull Cylinder Paper Paint

BC Forged RS 31 18x8 ET 40. I was debating between Sparco Assetto Gara, some OZ wheels and these. Would like to give a shout out to Eric at Pyspeed for helping me with sizing and offset choices. The wheels are monoblock forged and not cast like other wheels are so they are much much lighter and stronger. Weight of the wheels are ~18 lbs. Finish is matte black with matte black center caps.

Second Addition: Coilovers Suspension part Coil spring Suspension Shock absorber Auto part

ARK DT-P Coilovers from KSpecRacing.com. Good customer service. While I was happy with my ARK GT-F springs, I knew that I wanted to be a bit more aggressive with ride height. These are my first experience with coilovers, so as of right now, I have about 15 minutes of seat time with them. But so far, ride is stiffer yet not molar rattling. The car not only looks lower, but handles much more firmly. Will report back later to give a better first impression.

Third Purchase: Tires

Tire Automotive tire Rim Product Auto part

Honestly, if you're going to change anything about the car, tires should be the first place to start. I was going back and forth between Hankook Ventus v12 and Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I ultimately went with the PSS's because of road noise complaints from Hankook owners and the fact that people who run the PSS's absolutely love them. Size is 225/40/18.

Left over Parts from old VT:

Mobis KDM headlights. One of my favorite changes. Totally worth the money, IMO. Got them from Kspec.com. Some ask why I didn't go the customized route. While a very cool way to go, just wanted to keep the OEM look.

UNIQ Strut Bar. Always a nice addition to have.

SOLO 3" Catback exhaust. Had this sitting in a storage unit for probably 6 months. Sounds wonderful on the car. I chose to leave the resonator on. Very pleased.

Oh yeah, how could I forget the car!?!?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Ordered it right after the 14's were announced. Surprised on Monday with it :D Early V Day gift. ;)

Add all those together which brings us to....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Hyundai veloster
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

I know some of you are asking what material was used for the taillights. From the shop: "It is a spray on tinted clear that we mixed up custom."

Window tint is 20% all the way around.

Future plans you may ask?

Well, I haven't touched any engine components yet. So an intake, possible FMIC and tune. That will be my phase 2 build :)
Oh, and Pierce 4 point brace is in the works as well.

Will update frequently with more tweaks and changes. :)

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
ugh really wish i knew what "custom" spay they used. It looks amazing and daddy want!

i'd love to have them kdm lights but I can't justify it for just the white blinker :-( wish we could get a deal on them

#12 ·
Nice work I'm kinda the opposite of you lol I did some visuals and doing the performance first I should be getting tuned next month then when money is back to norm flow I start the handling haha

#15 ·
I love the taillight tint it would look good on my black car.

#17 ·
nice thread leti, but i still think ur a traitor. I know u will eventually comeback 2 the dark side. ;)

#20 ·
Told ya white was better :haha:

#19 ·
OMG your car looks sooooo S3XY!!! You've had your car a week & it looks better than mine :crying:

Reactions: letigre21
#22 ·
yeah your taillights got me coming back to this thread to see them!

any chance you could take more shots and night time please?

:in love:

Reactions: JGunz18
#28 ·
One of my favorite VT's for sure!!

#29 ·
How much was the smoke/tint on the lights and where is the shop located? I live in the OC as well and I'm definitely interested.

And of course, great job with the car! It looks amazing.

#40 ·
How much was it to smoke/tint on the tailights and where is the shop located? I live in the OC as well and I'm definitely interested.

And of course, great job with the car! It looks amazing.
Resposting in case this was missed :p

#31 ·
dang still nicely bright too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.