Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The coil pack is what multiplies the low voltage from the battery to a much higher voltage sent through the spark plug to bridge the gap to the ground strap that ignites the mixture. Weak spark will cause stumbling motor, loss of power, and misfires. Strong spark will mean more power and a healthy motor.

There has been a lot of talk about coil pack failures related to misfires but very little said about what causes them to fail or how to prolong their life and better their performance. So here we go with some of the major ones.....

Power supply

Without a proper power supply to the coil they'll live a shorter life and will not perform optimally. This is usually caused by bad alternator, battery, or poor power/grounds. Ensure all of these are good to ensure a sufficient power supply to the coils. The rest of the cars systems rely on this as well and should be checked periodically anyway. This is the most overlooked item on a car but should be one near the top of the list.

Heat

Heat shortens the life of the coil as well as hurts it's ability to produce the power needed for a strong spark. Keep the coils cool and life is extended and performance is better. This is where heat reduction mods will help keep the engine bay and thus the coils cooler. Many cars with failed coils have been subjected to a lot of heat that could have easily been avoided.

Spark plugs

Plugs with higher resistance(13 VT), hotter heat range(lower number is hotter)(13-early 14 VT HR6, late 14-15 HR7, 16+ VT HR8), and wider gaps are the main culprits here. All of these make it harder for the coil pack to send enough energy to the plug for a strong spark. Run a lower resistance plug, colder heat range, and tighter gap to make it easier on the coil to do its job and live a longer life. And no, .028" will not cut it on some tuned cars.

AFR

A rich AFR makes it harder for that spark to occur as well. So the stock tune that can get richer than 10:1 in some cases does not help things. Leaner AFR of a tune will help here.

Fuel used and injectable

Pump gas is a non issue. But between the alcohol in some fuels/injectables making the AFR richer and the water simply putting out the flame, it can make things a little more difficult if not adjusted for them specifically.

Increased redline/2 step/launch control

All of these, if not implemented properly, will shorten coil pack life. Keep these to a minimum for a better performing healthy motor.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Adding an XWEK and cleaning the major grounding points are the easiest ways to decrease electrical resistance in the system, which reduces strain caused by things such as the A/C, lighting, stereo, window switches, etc.

Less resistance means coils and fuel injectors don't have to work as hard to function (also reduces heat generated from overcoming resistance), thus increasing stability, reliability, performance and longevity.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long should they last? I've got 40k on mine without issues. About to change my plugs again though.
Too many variables to answer that but so accurately. Many have gone well over 100k miles no issues on stock coil packs though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wonder what other factory coils would be compatible and offer a hotter spark.

A lot of VW 2.0T guys use 3.0 S/C or R8 coils as they are a hotter sparking unit, due to lean burn requirement of their engines above that of the 2.0t engine

Are all coils on the VT 2 pin or did they bump to a 3 pin?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder what other factory coils would be compatible and offer a hotter spark.

A lot of VW 2.0T guys use 3.0 S/C or R8 coils as they are a hotter sparking unit, due to lean burn requirement of their engines above that of the 2.0t engine

Are all coils on the VT 2 pin or did they bump to a 3 pin?
Not sure of any compatible as I have not looked into that yet. I do know things mentioned here will help. Also know they are not fully utilized on the tuning side.

Coils were upgraded to more pins and different style for 16+ VT.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thats what i thought. The 12-15 is a ground dwell type coil. no me gusta.

Can you confirm whether its a 3 or 4 pin for the 16+ ?

My catalog and searching for the new number yields shit for photographs, and I havent the patience to comb every connector to find out (my hyunbdai/kia cat sucks for organizing wiring connectors - wish they could be more like ford and vw/audi)

·
Registered
328 Posts
If they went to 4 wire coils, i'd look into confirming the wiring schematic, then throwing them in the trash in favor of a 4 pin GM LS engine coil. They have lots of juice.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
For what it's worth, I took the 30 seconds required to check my '16 Rally. Coil packs have 4-pin connectors, but 3 wires. The third position is skipped. Wire colors aren't consistent between cylinders.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great write up man! I vote stickie.

Can you elaborate on the gap requirements. I've seen this pop up a couple times but I'd like to know what conditions may warrant a lower gap and what gap to try.
This can be done in the spark plug thread although I've given general recommendations there already. Anything specific I can help answer there.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they went to 4 wire coils, i'd look into confirming the wiring schematic, then throwing them in the trash in favor of a 4 pin GM LS engine coil. They have lots of juice.
Im going to look into a plug n play coil pack upgrade but it's going to be a chore for sure to get everything to work together and have the required specs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
For what it's worth, I took the 30 seconds required to check my '16 Rally. Coil packs have 4-pin connectors, but 3 wires. The third position is skipped. Wire colors aren't consistent between cylinders.
Appreciate it, woman has a 15 so theyre 2 pin jobbers.

Im going to look into a plug n play coil pack upgrade but it's going to be a chore for sure to get everything to work together and have the required specs.
It may be, I've had great luck converting old coil packs to direct ignition, I cannot imagine these are going to be that terrible.

The key will be finding sample ignition coils to do testing on to determine if the spark output is any better to merit a swap.

I believe there may be some improvement to be had by looking towards some of the naturally aspirated engines. Due to not facing the dangers of detonation from boost, they can lean em out for fuel economy and emissions.
That said, a hotter spark with a wider gap is generally called for to assist this.

I am going to fire up my hyundai catalog and see what kinda coils are on their current model NA 4cyl and 6cyl engines.

I suspect most of them will share relative mounting depth and things. If i find anything cool, I'll post here

·
Registered
618 Posts
Can't put 16+ coils in a 13-15. Will toast the ECU, as the 16+'s have the igniter drivers moved onto the coil top. Also confirming that 16+ use 3 conductors to the coils.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't put 16+ coils in a 13-15. Will toast the ECU, as the 16+'s have the igniter drivers moved onto the coil top. Also confirming that 16+ use 3 conductors to the coils.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yes, very true. Thanks for the confirmation and reassurance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
16+'s have the igniter drivers moved onto the coil top.
Im glad that theyre learning. THats how the majority are any more. small signal wire and self driven coils.

Does anyone have wiring diagram access on Hyundai Kia products?

I can't say i am or will be vested in the brands enough to merit buying my own.

·
Registered
984 Posts
hey guys, I've had my oem coil packs since i bought the car. I have experienced misfires or any other issues related. I changed my oem spsrk plugs at 60k to the hks m45xl plugs.

My question is, when should i replace my coils?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Coils only need replaced when they go bad via misfires or become out of spec when tested. I do not know the resistance or test procedure for the 16-17 could though.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just changed mine out cuz 2 finally went bye bye (96k miles). After reading this I may have to order an XWEK :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I just changed mine out cuz 2 finally went bye bye (96k miles). After reading this I may have to order an XWEK :)
hmmm i am at 96k, but have had an xwek since 50k & has served me right! I recommend an xwek for EVERYONE!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts