Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, question for the long-term VT owners here: I'm taking possession of my 2015 VT M/T with 47k on the OD today and, while I'll be keeping it mostly stock at least until my extended warranty runs out, I definitely want to get on top of basic and preventative maintenance right off the bat, and this will be my first GDI engine so I'm wondering: What are your preferred additives? Specifically:

1. Valve cleaner additive? I'm partial to Royal Purple MaxClean, from my previous engines, but I'm very open to suggestion if someone has had good experience with another brand.
2. Oil brand? I've been down the oil thread and it's a hell of a rabbit hole but the consensus, such as it was, seemed to be Pennzoil Ultimate Protection. Is that still valid, or is there a better type?
3. Oil additives, if any? I've always run additives in my oil, but again this is my first GDI engine so I don't want to proceed under the same additive assumptions that have worked on other engines.
3. Favorite octane booster? I've always been partial to Royal Purple MaxBoost for this, but I've seen some conflicting accounts in this forum regarding the efficacy/appropriateness of Royal Purple products in these engines, so I'm open to input. Note: I'm aware that higher octane doesn't necessarily equal better performance, and I'll have to evaluate that in the long term given my location, but I have a tendency to put in octane boosters and I basically just want to be sure I don't stick something in that other owners have found to cause problems.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
hey!

1) if you're not going to get it blasted, folks have used stuff like crc gdi cleaner.

2) PUP is a fine oil be sure to use a hyundai filter

3/4 ) cerma? not sure. i don't run anything myself however i do use shell 93 octane and have filled up at the same station for almost the whole car's life.

Reactions: Slamn690 and L3g10n

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you @RPW00Mirage! Basically exactly what I was looking for - hadn't heard of the CRC product, but I've used a ton of their other stuff over the years, so will look into it.

I'm'a wait until after my 52K service to see about getting it blasted, see if it needs it or not. Indications are that this car was well-cared for, but what exactly that means from one owner to the next is up
for grabs.

I'll look into Cerma, I've seen that name pop up all over the forums for other additives but hadn't looked into whether they made octane boosters. I too am a believer in 93 and call it good buuuuut I've been in San Diego for about a year and a half and still haven't found a gas station that I really trust to have consistently good fuel, so I'm basically proceeding under the assumption that all the fuel I encounter is over-spec'd and I want at least a bottle or two of something I can trust, just in case!

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,962 Posts
1. No valve cleaner additives. Walnut blast, ultrasonic cleaned, or manually cleaned. Chemicals while on the car can cause issues. Water/meth injection on the car setup properly can also help some while done safely and can be more effective than chemical cleaners.

2. Many oils available that are good. Really depends on what you want to spend and availability in your area. More critical things are oil is full synthetic, meets criteria for the engine, are proper weight, proper filter used, and oil changed before it loses its protective qualities.

3. Octane boosters are not good for the engine in general and do not help much especially for the $ spent. Proper setup water/meth injection kit will work much better.

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. No valve cleaner additives. Walnut blast, ultrasonic cleaned, or manually cleaned. Chemicals while on the car can cause issues. Water/meth injection on the car setup properly can also help some while done safely and can be more effective than chemical cleaners.

2. Many oils available that are good. Really depends on what you want to spend and availability in your area. More critical things are oil is full synthetic, meets criteria for the engine, are proper weight, proper filter used, and oil changed before it loses its protective qualities.

3. Octane boosters are not good for the engine in general and do not help much especially for the $ spent. Proper setup water/meth injection kit will work much better.
Thanks @trdtoy!
1. Manual recommends valve cleaner additive every oil change, which I intended to follow... any specific data on the issues that might be caused?
2. Excellent, thank you! Money isn't an object on oil changes, a bit more up front to prevent downstream issues is money well spent.
3. Definitely will not be doing any aftermarket stuff on that level until the OD rolls to 100,001 so that I don't risk blowing my extended warranty on it. After that, balls to the wall on mods...

Reactions: trevorsinclair16

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
Do not trust a manual from a company who has the number of oem part and tune revisions, TSB, and recalls for a given platform. The issue is a combination of mediocre parts, tune, and a chemical that causes misfires and that can cause chunks of buildup to release into the engine. Guess who is responsible for the damage when it occurs.....

Motul, Amsoil, Liquimoly are brands you want to look at for oil if $ not a concern. 5w40 is the newest hyundai recommended weight. 10w40, 5w40, 0w40, 10w30, 5w30, 0w30 will all work well as long as good oil, proper filter, and oil and filter changed at proper intervals, which is also not per user manual recommended intervals.

Do not be scared to do any aftermarket to the car. Many things can be done to the car that can easily and quickly be swapped if you think warranty will be an issue. No need in not enjoying the car until you wear the engine out :)
I just took a customer 15 VT manual from 182 whp bone stock to 250 whp with some mods. Can be reversed in a day if needed but 0 issues with the car. All about proper mods and a safe tune.

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do not trust a manual from a company who has the number of oem part and tune revisions, TSB, and recalls for a given platform. The issue is a combination of mediocre parts, tune, and a chemical that causes misfires and that can cause chunks of buildup to release into the engine. Guess who is responsible for the damage when it occurs.....
HA! Point taken.
I've used some Liquimoly products in the past, if that's a good option then will likely stay with that. Hyundai filters good? I've been a loyal Wix filter user for years, or failing that, K&N, but again back to the warranty issues, I'm given to understand that using a non-Hyundai filter raises warranty questions.
I'm typically a religious 3000 mile oil-change guy, even running full synth, but then again I'm used to 6s and 8s... this will literally be the first 4-banger I've ever owned, thus why I'm doing a ton of research and asking the stupid questions.
Of course these days with the lockdowns and all, It'd likely be a bloody year before I hit 3k anyway. Regardless, will be doing a full service next week no matter what just so I know where she's sitting.

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
Oem filter only if worried about warranty. 3k mile OCI max regardless of oil used is generally safe. May require sooner oil and filter changes based on many factors.

Reactions: L3g10n

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
527 Posts
Honestly running some SeaFoam in the gas tank once a month to keep the injectors clean won't hurt a thing.
There's not much chemically you can add to your gas that will have a cleaning effect on the valves.

Get a catch can or two on the pcv to help eliminate most of the crankcase mist getting into the combustion chamber and intake manifold.
They work. 👍

Have fun with the car and give it a good run on freeway on ramps where you can hit redline to blow out some of the gunk collecting if you putt putt it around. These engines are made to be driven and revved.

@trdtoy is our resident guru and quite knowledgeable with these cars so his word is like gold. 🙏🏽👍
He's kind of my hero but don't tell him I told you. 😂😁👍

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
CERMA

Reactions: L3g10n and misnblu

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·