Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've got a 2014 VT auto with some weird issues. It seems like I'm down on power, maybe 20-30 horsepower. My gas mileage has gone down as well. This issue has come up recently, but I can't pinpoint an event that would have caused it. I've checked just about everything I know how to check and can't find a clear solution.
Info:
142k miles
premium gas only
air filter cleaned
Reduction from 30-35 MPG to 25-28 on the dash
fluids recently changed
sparkplugs recently replaced
coilpacks original, but all meet resistance spec
ODB2 reads turbo pressure between 15-16PSI maximum
ODB2 reads fuel pressure between 25-35PSI at idle
OBD2 horsepower reads between 145-150
Fuel pump recently replaced with Deatschwerks 65c
ODB2 reads High pressure fuel pump around 1500PSI at idle
Compression test performed, read around 200PSI on all cylinders (one test read 145 on cyl. 1, but could not be reproduced)

Mods:
Short ram intake, aftermarket turbo hoses, torkpipe, GFB diverter valve, Pierburg Wastegate solenoid, MAC BOV solenoid

As far as I can tell, the air is getting into the engine, the fuel is being delivered at the right pressure, the fuel/air is igniting, and the turbo is compressing within spec, but my brother's veloster that's stock feels like it's pulling way harder. I haven't had a chance to Dyno my car beyond the Torque App horsepower reading. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT Ultimate
386 Posts
Pressure test for the pre-turbo side. Leakdown or smoke test for the post-turbo/pre O2 sensor side. That will help rule out boost leaks or exhaust leaks.

If you're not tuned, your mods could be putting you closer to oem tune limiters.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a PM downpipe ready to go in. While it's all apart I'll go ahead and pressure test the intake side. What is the OEM tune limiter?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Basically the stock tune has limits set for a variety of parameters. "Keeps the car safe". Limp mode if it gets too hot... too cold, too much boost, not enough boost, detect knock, blah blah blah.

The more your mods increase volumetric efficiency (how easy it is for the engine and turbo to "breathe")... the easier it will be to accidentally hit some of those limiters. Not to say that's the problem you're currently encountering. But just something to think about when you're modding with no tune.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for that.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,151 Posts
You can send me a proper datalog and I can help more than you posting just what you monitor. What coils, plugs, miles on both, and plug gaps?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You can send me a proper datalog and I can help more than you posting just what you monitor. What coils, plugs, miles on both, and plug gaps?
Coils are OEM, save for a replacement for a failed coilpack.
Plugs are NGK 93655 SILZKR7E8EG gapped to .032
Miles on OEM coils are unknown, but are likely from the factory. The replacement has about 3000 miles on it.

replacement was an ImportDirect from O'reily's.

I have an ODBLink and the torque app for datalogging, but I can download another app if it helps. What format would you prefer it in? I can grab the data tomorrow morning

·
Registered
386 Posts
Big spark gap. IIRC it should be .028

Coils should be replaced in sets (cries for bank account) outside of emergency situations.

Torque is fine for logging. You can upload the .csv from the logs. Or use a site like Datazap to upload it to and make it easier for all involved :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Coils should be replaced in sets (cries for bank account) outside of emergency situations.

Torque is fine for logging. You can upload the .csv from the logs. Or use a site like Datazap to upload it to and make it easier for all involved :)
Yeah, It went out on me on the way to work one morning, so I dropped by oreily's and got what they had. I'll likely replace all of the coils with OEM ones. You know, as soon as my wallet recovers from the other parts I've purchased :LOL:

Reactions: SkyShadex

·
Administrator
6,151 Posts
You need all new oem coils part ending in 2B110 and new oem NGK plugs for a 16+ VT and gap to .028" before installing. After this things should be much better. All of this is around $260 from Albert Hwang on FB.

Yes torque pro is fine for logging if you have a good reader and android device that will deliver a good PID update rate.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need all new oem coils part ending in 2B110 and new oem NGK plugs for a 16+ VT and gap to .028" before installing. After this things should be much better. All of this is around $260 from Albert Hwang on FB.

Yes torque pro is fine for logging if you have a good reader and android device that will deliver a good PID update rate.
Roger that. I'll order it after next paycheck most likely and report back. I'll gather some baseline data today. What sensors would you want to look at?

I'll upload some of the data I have now, and then some after I replace them next week (maybe, still paying off some coilovers)

·
Administrator
6,151 Posts
Log only these PID and .1 second interval. If you do not know how I can hd your hand through it to do it correctly.

Font Gadget Terrestrial plant Mobile device Multimedia

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I've got the advanced EX sensors available as well. I was going to use the realtime charts plugin to datalog, is there another one that you recommend?

EDIT: disregard, a trip through the settings showed me the data logging menu. I'll do some onramp pulls and 0-60's on the way home today

·
Administrator
6,151 Posts
No, graph is not datalog. Need to actually have the settings correct and have a good PID update rate to get a good datalog. No need for the hadv PIDs to log unless you need them. Just the ones I mentioned first. Best data will be in 3rd and 4th gear.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On an unrelated note, is there a way to monitor oil pressure via the torque app? I get paranoid on track, especially at Atlanta Motorsports park where there's a sustained, uphill left turn

·
Registered
386 Posts
There isn't unfortunately lol. Only solution to that is to add a sandwich plate and attach a gauge.

Or if you want to waste alot of money for the sake of technology. Get a JB4, have it do all the logging, wire in the oil pressure have digital records of whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,032 Posts
On an unrelated note, is there a way to monitor oil pressure via the torque app? I get paranoid on track, especially at Atlanta Motorsports park where there's a sustained, uphill left turn
In the north, have you ever seen Palmer motorsports park online? Lots of uphill and downhill turns.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 34 Posts