Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED HELP!!! Here are 9 audio files of the noise that my car has been making. 7 of 9 were taken on one trip within 45 minutes. When I bring the car to the dealer they can’t replicate the noise because they can’t accelerate fast in a downtown area. Some days its non-stop others you can’t reproduce it if you tried repeatedly. The noise is 100% coming from the front end of the car and it’s loud. No performance issues at all when it happens. I was told if the dealer cant replicate the noise next time I’m SOL. This issue has been going on since I bought the car at the end of August.

The noise only happens when driving at lower speeds to about 40mph then flooring it or accelerating quickly from the lower speed. It doesn't happen if I'm already going 55 then push the peddle. I also have to hold the peddle down and not release it while accelerating. I think it has something to do when the engine is at its peak torque. I hear it a lot when turning corner then pushing the peddle down. Normal driving with only light acceleration the noise is non-existent.

Veloster Turbo Ultimate 2013
3000 Miles

Audio 1
Audio 2
Audio 3
Audio 4
Audio 5
Audio 6
Audio 7
Audio 8
Audio 9

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It sounds more like a rattle to me. All the same it isn't right

Do what you have to do to get the dealer to hear this noise.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
"Drive it like you stole it"

I couldn't make out the noise in any of the bit's you did but my suggestion is above.

With the ten year warranty you should have confidence in that the problem will be fixed when it becomes clearly evident.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I did hear it and if you are able to reproduce it every time you want to then I would suggest that you tell your service adviser at the dealership that you want to take a tech for a ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did hear it and if you are able to reproduce it every time you want to then I would suggest that you tell your service adviser at the dealership that you want to take a tech for a ride.
Looks like the issue could be the use of the advertised 87 octane. The noise might be the engine knocking!!! Dealer wants me to try two fill ups with 93. If that solves the issue, the sales department and I will have some discussing to do on false advertising.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There are certain stations in my city that run the maximum legal amount of water in their fuel. When I ran their fuel in my 2005 GMC Jimmy ZR2, I got check engine lights it was so bad!!!

I would try buying your fuel at a different station. If it is fuel related, it may take 2-3 tanks to clear all the crap out.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Im guessing you have an automatic... and you need to see your dealer to fix that ..
I NEED HELP!!! Here are 9 audio files of the noise that my car has been making. 7 of 9 were taken on one trip within 45 minutes. When I bring the car to the dealer they can’t replicate the noise because they can’t accelerate fast in a downtown area. Some days its non-stop others you can’t reproduce it if you tried repeatedly. The noise is 100% coming from the front end of the car and it’s loud. No performance issues at all when it happens. I was told if the dealer cant replicate the noise next time I’m SOL. This issue has been going on since I bought the car at the end of August.

The noise only happens when driving at lower speeds to about 40mph then flooring it or accelerating quickly from the lower speed. It doesn't happen if I'm already going 55 then push the peddle. I also have to hold the peddle down and not release it while accelerating. I think it has something to do when the engine is at its peak torque. I hear it a lot when turning corner then pushing the peddle down. Normal driving with only light acceleration the noise is non-existent.

Veloster Turbo Ultimate 2013
3000 Miles

Audio 1
Audio 2
Audio 3
Audio 4
Audio 5
Audio 6
Audio 7
Audio 8
Audio 9

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
There are certain stations in my city that run the maximum legal amount of water in their fuel. When I ran their fuel in my 2005 GMC Jimmy ZR2, I got check engine lights it was so bad!!!

I would try buying your fuel at a different station. If it is fuel related, it may take 2-3 tanks to clear all the crap out.
Yeah he is right.

Some rinkydink gas station give bad gas so be careful where you pump gas. Costco gas has 0% water in their gas and uses detergent additives. I always use their gas. Plus they are usually cheaper than everyone. even if it is just a few cents more I don't care because I know I am getting the best gas in town.

Gasoline Clean Power

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you ever find the cause for this? My VT did this for the 3rd time yesterday. It was the first time I heard it clearly without the radio on though. I thought my engine was going to explode. It was LOUD! I could be wrong, but I don't think it has to do with engine knock from lower octane. I've never heard engine knock that loud. Right now I've only used Shell 87. And that noise has only happened on hard acceleration from low speeds. No unusual noise otherwise.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Twice under the same conditions I have experienced a terrible rattling noise.

If I start the car and let it roll out onto the driveway (for a wash job) and then immediately shut the motor off.

When I again start the motor up (after completing the wash job), there is a terrible rattling noise like a bunch of marbles in a tin can.

It's happened twice, both times under identical circumstances.

Needless to say, since I found I can take the transmission out of park with the key, I don't have to start the motor anymore to roll out on to the drive.

So I'm not worrying about it, and the ten year warranty give me comfort that I'm covered, if something really screws up down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to a stop light in an area of no police or people around. Hit the pedal and bring the car up to 6500rmps without letting go of the pedal and hold it at 6500rpms for at least 5 seconds. Keep doing this until you get the hang of it. The loud marble noise should get really loud. The issue the first user stated is a problem with the turbo and the engine. Eventually the car will start stalling and it will end up being the spark plugs that need to be replaced because of them being burnt out. Then your engine will blow a hole through it. The veloster has serious engine/turbo design flaws. There is no issue with the 87 octane. Users that said the noise went away with higher octane are somewhat correct. It muffles the noise but its still present but very low. Its a combination of a detonation issue and the turbo configuration, what the issue is exactly I'm not sure. Hyundai will be no help to you. Hyundai corporate also. Don't accept a new engine or replacement car, don't waste your time talking to corporate after you put a complaint in with Hyundai Corporate care. They're in the business of screwing you not helping you. They will fight you tooth and nail and will never offer to refund your money. Hyundai has the worst corporate customer service around. Go straight to a lemon law attorney. All GOOD lemon law attorneys are free. They only take a case if they can win it. Before going to an attorney bring your car in over and over for the noise issue and have it documented. The service people will tell you they cant replicated it. Record video of it and audio for proof. Also the most manufacture Buybacks of foreign cars is Hyundai/Kia surprisingly Mercedes is number 2.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Whenever I had boost issues in my turboed cobalt ss they kept doing the same thing.. I finally just kept calling and going to the dealership to talk to the head service manager.. I said here, get in my damn car and I'll freaking show you what's going on.. He actually agreed and off he went.. Then he drove it and said, yea.... I haven't driven one but heard about these to know it's got power and I don't feel any power.. Finally got the problem fixed due to a leaking intercooler..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've explained at length how to pursue warranty and lemon law claims against Hyundai in this forum before.

However, Hyundai's class leading warranty and top quality ratings are what I suggested that people use to ensure satisfactory treatment.

You are going to have to cite something - anything that the VT's motor is inherently flawed. There are thousands of people here that have no problems with their motor. The handful of people that have had a problem have had the dealer rectify it even if it took a few trips.

Given that this is your first post, a lengthy indictment without any paragraph breaks does not lend credence to your argument.

Hyundai does not produce the turbo in the Veloster or the Sonata or any of their current cars - Borg Warner produces them. In fact, the turbo in the Veloster is the same as those used by Ford and BMW. If there was an inherent flaw in the turbo it would occur in all those cars.

Furthermore burning a hole in your piston because of a turbo malfunction is an antiquated notion. In order to burn a hole in your piston the turbo has to continue to pump pressure even though the cylinders do not need it, the carb or fuel injectors have to keep spraying fuel in to the cylinders even though it is not required and the valve timing has to have no overlap so the unburnt fuel/air mixture can't escape through the exhaust. The VT motor has a separate oxygen sensor on both sides of the combustion chamber, separate ignition coils for each cylinder,full variable valve timing for both camshafts and a servo actuated wastegate. Any predetonation is easily managed and controlled by the ECU by controlling these systems.

Who else is making a 125hp/l motor that gets 36mpg and comes with a 100k warranty?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah they're not working. I'd like to get some good audio and video of the noise and my tachometer, but at the same time I don't want to hear that "marble's in my motor" noise again.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts