Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
79 Posts
One more thing. Think of the BOV as something that really wants to open. Even without anything connected to it, it will open as soon as the intake pressure exceeds the spring pressure (presuming that the spring pressure is higher than 1ATM). The only way it can stay closed above that pressure is if a greater pressure is applied to the vacuum port. The only way the boost can exceed that pressure is if the turbo is producing more airflow than the BOV can flow out. This (for the most part) can only really occur if your wastegate is not preventing the turbo from continuing to spool up.

Note that some of the above is a bit of an oversimplification. I don’t think anyone should come along and consider that an ideal synopsis of boost functions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Long story short I was able to determine that the slug inside the solenoid for whatever reason wasn't falling back down once the BOV actuated, although the power running through it was able to hold the slug down. I could manually push it down and it'd work once, and then it would stay up.

I ended up just getting the Pierburg boost control solenoid a little over a week ago and installed it. Haven't had any issues yet

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
79 Posts
Long story short I was able to determine that the slug inside the solenoid for whatever reason wasn't falling back down once the BOV actuated, although the power running through it was able to hold the slug down. I could manually push it down and it'd work once, and then it would stay up.

I ended up just getting the Pierburg boost control solenoid a little over a week ago and installed it. Haven't had any issues yet
Great efforts to diagnose. This summary will likely help many forum visitors. Every once in a while I get surging that seems to be due to the MAC solenoid that controls my wastegate seeming to not do its job so maybe the slug you are referring to is occasionally staying up in mine.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts