Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Feel free to point me in the direction of another thread if it already exists - do we have any kind of log going around maintenance and issues that have come up with everyone's VTs?

I have a 2013 VT at 90k miles, no mods/stock setup. Interested to see commonalities between maintenance across modded & stock setups across different mileage. Below are my notes:

My Car
Stock 2013 VT, no mods, 90k miles

Electronics
Sunroof motor: Replaced 2x at 20k & 40k, failed again at 60k (have not replaced yet)
Driver window motor/regulator: Replaced at 66k. I used the windows and sunroof pretty heavily.

Engine
Regular synthetic oil changes every 3-5k + Engine & Passenger Air Filters
Spark plugs: 45k & 90k
Turbo BPV: Replaced at 85k, P2261. Mechanic described the existing part as "melted"
Ignition coils: Replaced at 85k (1 coil) & 90k (other 3 coils), P0300. Recommend swapping all at once if you get a cylinder misfire code and haven't replaced these yet. They seem to progressively fail - if one goes should just swap them all at that time, esp if you're paying someone else to do it.
Crankshaft Position Sensor: Schedule to replace at 90k. Car started rough-idleing at stop, delayed startup, 0 RPM registering on gauge.

Drivetrain/Suspension/Brakes
Tires: Every 20k, this car seems to chew through the low-profile Pilot Sports
Front wheel bearings: Replaced front-left at 45k & front-right at 50k. I lived in Pittsburgh & Boston for a few years so think the potholes + winter snow accelerated the degradation of the stock wheel bearings.
Front Brake Pads: Replaced at 60k

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,260 Posts
Very well known the failures of parts, oem revision of parts/tunes, what works best, what doesn't, maintenance items and intervals, etc.

I'll gladly make up some kind of list if need be. But all of this can be found in various places in the forum already. Some areas are not correct or wise however IMO. And when I say IMO keep in mind I mod, maintain, and tune these on the daily, hold records, and have yet to have engine issues from any I've laid hands on. This can't be said by anyone else that I'm aware of.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
i'd be happy to make a spot for a list!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I mean where is the spot? :)

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts

does this work? i can sticky a thread up top and we can clean up old unnecessary posts if you point them out?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
There is so much clean up of misinformation needed in this forum it's ridiculous. If I could clean out the misinformation I would but I can't.

Posts are on the forum now with good information on this but good information is spread out and threads cluttered with misinformation. If I did something like this it would have to be "my baby" where I could get rid of the junk/misinformation as it was posted.

It's stupid the number of owners I've dealt with in person or social media that have issues due to going by misinformation on maintenance, mods, or tuning solutions.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
let me talk with nvy , maybe we can make something happen!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It gets under my skin when people replace or advise replacing spark plugs in a 13 VT with oem plugs for a 13 VT not knowing that hyundai revised the plugs for a reason to a heat range 8 instead of the oem heat range 6.

Or people advising to use 87 octane in these cars that have no clue why it's not safe in many of them.

Wrong oil, filter, change intervals.

No good information on tuning solutions pros/cons.

Can list many more things that are here already but buried in misinformation. The misinformation becomes more than the facts and for whatever reason people rely on a popularity vote/misinformation nowadays instead of facts/good information. This is a main reason why many people have issues with the VT. The other main reason is they handle issues reactively instead of proactively. This is due to not caring, not knowing, or having the if it is not broke do not fix it mentality which can cost them dearly when that something does break.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed on the need to likely vet the information, but some kind of master log could be good.

I’m too big of a n00b to do the maintenance myself, which sucks for the wallet but good in terms of getting Hyundai/Dealer-vetted service notes.

The piece I’m looking to identify is what kind of future part failures/replacements I should be keeping an eye out for as the mileage keeps climbing, and around what interval failures are reported.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Some of that can be found in a FSM or maintenance schedule but usually recommend at higher intervals by the oem than whats needed if taking a proactive approach.

·
Registered
2021 Racing Red VT DCT, Tinted Windows, WELLvisor's, AEM Intake
13 Posts
Have a 2021 VT. Soon to hit 3k in mileage and will do it's first oil/filter change. I see the factory recommend Quaker State oil, I've always used Mobile 1. I'm presuming as long as the oil meets the requirements of the manufacturer it doesn't matter what brand.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Have a 2021 VT. Soon to hit 3k in mileage and will do it's first oil/filter change. I see the factory recommend Quaker State oil, I've always used Mobile 1. I'm presuming as long as the oil meets the requirements of the manufacturer it doesn't matter what brand.
M1 meets requirements but is not recommended.

High end oils that are good if meeting the requirements are Liquimoly, Motul, and Amsoil.

To most I recommend Pennzoil platinum or ultra platinum as they're easy to find and also good oil. 0W40, 5w40, 10w40, 0W30, 5W30, and 10w30 will all be ok to use. Only use oem filter. Never exceed 3k mile intervals between oil and filter changes. More frequent when running the car hard a lot or if you check oil for breakdown that would warrant a change. First oil and filter change should be way before the 3k mile mark though due to engine break in. I suggest the first oil change at 500-1k miles. Also recommend adding a magnetic drain plug for cleaning every oil change. Oil pan cleaning at the first oil change and every 30k after that will also help keep the system clean and trouble free.

·
Registered
2021 Racing Red VT DCT, Tinted Windows, WELLvisor's, AEM Intake
13 Posts
M1 meets requirements but is not recommended.

High end oils that are good if meeting the requirements are Liquimoly, Motul, and Amsoil.

To most I recommend Pennzoil platinum or ultra platinum as they're easy to find and also good oil. 0W40, 5w40, 10w40, 0W30, 5W30, and 10w30 will all be ok to use. Only use oem filter. Never exceed 3k mile intervals between oil and filter changes. More frequent when running the car hard a lot or if you check oil for breakdown that would warrant a change. First oil and filter change should be way before the 3k mile mark though due to engine break in. I suggest the first oil change at 500-1k miles. Also recommend adding a magnetic drain plug for cleaning every oil change. Oil pan cleaning at the first oil change and every 30k after that will also help keep the system clean and trouble free.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts