Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me fellow VT owners. I have a manual turbo vitamin c I've had for about 2 weeks. Im still having trouble with 1st to second gear on the road. There is little acceleration in 1st which I can only take to 3k rpm. going into second causes the car to jump slightly which I believe is due to inefficient speed. I have driven manuals before and I am still perfecting my shifting timing. I know you can turn off TC, which I do and see slightly better acceleration in 1st, but I am wondering if I can also turn off Eco mode. 2nd to 3rd has less of a jump and I am better able to eliminate it with slower clutch release. I recall the dealer telling me I can, but I can't locate the button if it exists. Help and advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If the manual has an ECO button it should be in the dash panel under the left drivers side air vent alongside the dash light adjuster, backup camera on/off switch and 115 A/C switch (if applicable to your model). Look left and low of the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
I think your just letting out the clutch a little too early. I didn't figure out my gencoupe till about 2K miles of driving because I had the rev hang issue and it was very jumpy. ECU Reflash would have fixed the issue but I figured out the trick to it. If my memory serves me right, from 1st to 2nd, clutch in, shift to 2nd, while slowly releasing the clutch in a acceptable manner make contact with the engage point as your giving gas and let it in there for just a moment and you should be able to feel it smoothly shift and your intuition should tell you when your can let go of the clutch pedal. My suggestion is actually done fairly quickly it kind of sounds like your riding the clutch but as you understand the car you'll realize your not riding it at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was not too happy with the m/t also, until I tried to drive entirely by "feel" and stopped over thinking how to drive it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think your just letting out the clutch a little too early. I didn't figure out my gencoupe till about 2K miles of driving because I had the rev hang issue and it was very jumpy. ECU Reflash would have fixed the issue but I figured out the trick to it. If my memory serves me right, from 1st to 2nd, clutch in, shift to 2nd, while slowly releasing the clutch in a acceptable manner make contact with the engage point as your giving gas and let it in there for just a moment and you should be able to feel it smoothly shift and your intuition should tell you when your can let go of the clutch pedal. My suggestion is actually done fairly quickly it kind of sounds like your riding the clutch but as you understand the car you'll realize your not riding it at all.
Yeah you summed it pretty well. Last night I turned off ESC and 1st gear gave me much better and
more responsive acceleration. I still jump a little bit from 1-2 but it's just timing and clutch operation. I had not been giving enough gas upon shifting rather than -after- depressing the clutch. I took it on a 45 mph road last night and
blew past everyone it was wonderful to finally test the Turbo in 3rd and 4th gear. The engine puts 201 hp with max torque just under 2k, so skipping gears after second is almost encouraged. Thanks for your advice people, I really appreciate it. I'll be on here a lot from now on. Oh and there's no eco button for the record. I stupidly realized Eco button is a setting for the automatic to adjust the shifting And acceleration. Thats the driver for manual.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Yeah you summed it pretty well. Last night I turned off ESC and 1st gear gave me much better and
more responsive acceleration. I still jump a little bit from 1-2 but it's just timing and clutch operation. I had not been giving enough gas upon shifting rather than -after- depressing the clutch. I took it on a 45 mph road last night and
blew past everyone it was wonderful to finally test the Turbo in 3rd and 4th gear. The engine puts 201 hp with max torque just under 2k, so skipping gears after second is almost encouraged. Thanks for your advice people, I really appreciate it. I'll be on here a lot from now on. Oh and there's no eco button for the record. I stupidly realized Eco button is a setting for the automatic to adjust the shifting And acceleration. That's the driver for manual.
haha yeah, I remember when I use to shift from 3rd to 5th gear basically because I was already at 40 mph in 3rd, got to love boost right? lol Glad well be seeing you on the forums now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts