Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just joined this forum, have been over in regular Veloster forum. I am the (still) proud owner of the first Veloster sold in state of Georgia (US). I have a manual with tech and style packages and have been loving the car for a year now, EXCEPT for the lack of power. I am getting ready to trade in next couple of months for a Silver Ultimate Turbo. My in-decision is manual vs automatic. The manual is very tight and responsive in the normally aspirated V, and I am sure it is about the same for the turbo. I have read lots of the comments regarding 2nd gear topping out too soon in the manual. So this is my issue(s)....

I am 53, do not drive with heavy foot, so I am definitely not buying the turbo V to get a speeding ticket
I had a Altima 3.5 Coupe with auto and paddle shifters and really enjoyed driving that car...except for the lousy gas mileage.
My wife absolutely refuses to drive a manual and sometimes when we need to trade vehicles for the day (I need her SUV to tow a utility trailer) it causes problems in transportation. We really need her to be able to drive both vehicles

Soooo...I have seen few comments on the Turbo with the A/T. Any owners here?? Has anyone driven both. You cannot find a Turbo around here to test drive.

How responsive is it with the paddles, and how much power does it lose due to torque converter?

Really leaning toward the A/T ( Although I prefer manual) due to wife issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
I was about to say... I'm the first Veloster Turbo owner in the state of Georgia, almost didn't catch you were referring to the NAV model. I picked my car up in A/T with the shiftronic feel simply because I can drive it like a manual whenever I want which what I literally do when I get no one in front and feel like speeding (getting to the speed limit the quickest most of the time) I just pop it in shiftronic mode, down or upshift to disengage sport mode and I have full control of whenever I want to shift which is usually at 5K. I test drove the manual NAVs and liked it just didn't really want this car in a manual.. its not a sports car and I figured whenever the Genesis Coupe V6 Supercharger comes out (2014-2016) I'd have this car paid off and could get that other one in a R-Spec model. So what I'd do then is have this as my DD and my gen as my WW. I'd say go with the A/T you and your wife will enjoy it and whenever you feel like driving like a manual without the leg work you'll be able to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I test drove both the auto and manual Veloster Turbo before ordering my manual VT. During both test drive I was by myself in the car. So, you can say that I explored the full potential of both transmission rather well. For me it was an easy decision.

Let me just say that not all automatic gearbox are the same. Some of them such as the ZF eight speed unit used in BMW, Audi and Rolls Royce is absolutely state of the art. The best automatic gearbox today can offer similar or better performance compared to the manual transmission while enjoying better fuel economy.

The automatic transmission in the VT on the other hand is just okay at best. There is a considerable delay when shifting via the paddle. It doesn't hold the car in gear and will not bounce off the rev limiter but up-shift to the next gear at redline instead. Not that you want to be bouncing the rev limiter all the time, but neither do you want the car to upshift to the next gear by itself coming out of a corner.

The manual gearbox is not perfect in the VT, but it suites the car way better than the automatic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity drive both transmissions in both models (NAV and VT) several times before making a decision. I like them both and could have lived with either if there was a more limited availability of VT's in my market so it really came down to personal preferences and typical driving terrain.

IMHO, 1st gear is functional in the NAV utterly useless in the VT for anything except smoking the tires (NTTAWWT) :). Second isn't much better. Simply put, 1st and 2nd are way too short for my liking in the VT as you are rowing through them in no time in the M/T. I have the same issue in 1st with my son's Eclipse GT (2.4L) but it has the torque that makes 2nd gear starts more effective than the VT.

When I first started looking there weren't any Turbos in town so I drove a few NAV's. The manual was my definitive choice there because I couldn't stand the major lag between shifts in the the A/T.

I really liked the smoothness of the manual and it is a great transmission but it all boiled down to the fact that I spend the majority of my time in urban/suburban areas with a fair number of start/stop (lights/stop signs) and traffic situations. The shortness of the 1st 2 gears was annoying to me in this situation. I drove the eclipse for a month before after I sold the Sonata while waiting on the right VT to show up and with it, I could start in 2nd and stay there to crawl through traffic or up to about 40+ mph if wanted in between lights, etc. and I just couldn't do that comfortably in the VT M/T without either riding the clutch or revving it out.

The real difference for me was that in sport mode (ECO off) I get nice crisp shifts with the paddles. In a normal driving situation the paddle shift is quicker on the gear transition than I would be rowing the gears in a manual. It would be interesting to put a stopwatch on it but I'm not sure that I would be any faster on the upshifts with a manual even if I was flogging it while schooling that Lambo from light to light. There is a slight lag with ECO mode engaged but it is nowhere near the shift lag that I experienced in the NAV with a different transmission (DCT)

The other thing is that the M/T just works better when you can let it stretch its legs.The turbo spools up very quickly but in city driving with other cars driving like a little old lady in front of me, I could really pick up on the turbo lag in those low RPM's and the A/T didn't exhibit the same traits. This probably had more to do with my driving style than the M/T itself but this review is all about my seat of the pants opinions anyway so YMMV. I like how the A/T gives you several options and gives you enough control to do anything a manual can except for a clutch dumping burnout or bouncing off the rev limiter (not recommended anyway). I can still smoke the tires at will in first and have been able to chirp second and third. To be honest I think I'll get better mileage out of the A/T because I would drive the M/T aggressively way more often than I do the A/T to compensate for the short gears in 1st and 2nd and the jerkiness as the turbo spool up between gear changes if you let the RPM's drop too low.

Either one are fun as heck, it really boils down to personal preference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey guys,

Just joined this forum, have been over in regular Veloster forum. I am the (still) proud owner of the first Veloster sold in state of Georgia (US). I have a manual with tech and style packages and have been loving the car for a year now, EXCEPT for the lack of power. I am getting ready to trade in next couple of months for a Silver Ultimate Turbo. My in-decision is manual vs automatic. The manual is very tight and responsive in the normally aspirated V, and I am sure it is about the same for the turbo. I have read lots of the comments regarding 2nd gear topping out too soon in the manual. So this is my issue(s)....

I am 53, do not drive with heavy foot, so I am definitely not buying the turbo V to get a speeding ticket
I had a Altima 3.5 Coupe with auto and paddle shifters and really enjoyed driving that car...except for the lousy gas mileage.
My wife absolutely refuses to drive a manual and sometimes when we need to trade vehicles for the day (I need her SUV to tow a utility trailer) it causes problems in transportation. We really need her to be able to drive both vehicles

Soooo...I have seen few comments on the Turbo with the A/T. Any owners here?? Has anyone driven both. You cannot find a Turbo around here to test drive.

How responsive is it with the paddles, and how much power does it lose due to torque converter?

Really leaning toward the A/T ( Although I prefer manual) due to wife issues.
I went with the A/T since most of my driving now is commuting from home to work in the city. On city roads I stick to normal A/T and when I hit the highway switch to Sports mode to get the more aggressive shift points so that the Turbo spools faster. The best thing is that on long drives during the weekend I can use the paddles to drive manual, like I've done for some 20+ years, without having to use the left foot to press the clutch or using the gas pedal to match RPMs to shift up or down without using the clutch.

I agree with

Either one are fun as heck, it really boils down to personal preference.
And the best thing for you is that the A/T will also take care of the "Wife Issues" :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
A/T because I initially bought the car as a good everyday car I sit in hours of traffic every day and my previous car had a racing clutch and I was sick of sitting in traffic jerking back in fourth not even being able to get up to speed to get into first lol.

Compared to other Tiptronic cars this car shifts pretty quick, the only lag i get is the Drive by wire lag, but even the M/T will have that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am rather blessed that I have only gotten stuck in traffic a few times with my manual VT. If my commute consists of crawling in traffic on a daily basis, I probably would've gone with an automatic. Having said that my last car was an automatic, I traded it in for the manual VT to make my commute around town more fun and more fuel efficient.

A recent review by Autoblog stated that while they received a 6 speed manual for their test. They "heard" that the automatic is actually more fun to drive in the VT. I don't know where they got that info and since I have driven both, I personally think that the manual is more fun.

I do suspect that the manual and auto VT will both post a similar 1/4 time. I think someone on another forum got 15 second flat with the Auto VT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.