Veloster Turbo Forum banner

181 - 200 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Received it today. Wow what a difference it made. My cars huevos just doubled in size.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah - I don't expect to ever spend 40 bucks and see such and improvement.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Having a sample of both part numbers I feel like running a set of resistance sweep tests to see if the response curve of the two sensors are different.... A 5 volt bias I think is normal and then a voltage drop test across the remaining pins (check pinout of course first...) As PSI and temperature are each individually changed combined with a small digital oscilloscope​ with storage memory would show show all the differences and where they are...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
BTW, the service manual shows both the MAPS and BPS to have identical electrical specs.
In terms of DC resistance and bias voltage I would expect as much. The interesting thing would be to see the response curves as the input (temp and psi) are independently varied..

Such as the difference in curves of a wideband lambda sensor vs an old school zirconia O2 sensor as an example...

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Funny you mention zirconia, I believe the service manual also said our O2Ses contain that element. Was bored the other day and practically read the whole thing. Well, the relevant sections anyway.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Funny you mention zirconia, I believe the service manual also said our O2Ses contain that element. Was bored the other day and practically read the whole thing. Well, the relevant sections anyway.
Zirconia was definitely used in the old style O2 sensors and is used on our secondary post Cat sensor for catalyst diagnostics... It swings rapidly and non linearly from 0.2 up to 0.9 volts and back again with this tiny little region around 0.7 volts which corresponds to a 14 AFR.... they're still used where rough measurements are close enough because they're less than half the cost of a wideband lambda.

I don't know what elements a wideband lambda sensor is made out of but we all know they're significantly more linear and accurate over a huge AFR range. They do have heater elements for cold start and some have compensation resistors so that the ECU can keep the sensor calibrated over wide exhaust temp swings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any updates from those of you who installed the new MAP sensor? any regression, old fidgety throttle response issues coming back, loss of MPG, etc. I am just throwing things out there. I was reading back on this forum and the Kia forum, I saw just a few people either seeing no changes or the car actually behaving worse, just curious how people are liking the new sensors after some time with it. I see some on Ebay for $15 so I might go with those lol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I recommend a new MAP sensor as the #1 priority for this car. Also, pony up for the real deal from Korea. Don't cheap out and but a Chinese made unit. I would assume some mixed results are due to having a cheap part.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Didn't hurt anything. Any difference I thought it noticed were minor and quickly forgotten, which at least suggests the car is running properly. Can't say I'd call it a "must have" item, but the OEM part is still cheap enough to try without regrets.

·
Registered
84 Posts
can i get the part from a dealer? yes i know that it is cheaper on ebay but if it is the same thing that a dealer sells i dont have to wait

·
Registered
199 Posts
can i get the part from a dealer? yes i know that it is cheaper on ebay but if it is the same thing that a dealer sells i dont have to wait
Yes - just make sure you get the correct #.

·
Registered
872 Posts
This is what I did.... Not cheap!! Just tell the dealer you need sensor 39300-84400. That is the part you need

·
Registered
618 Posts
Google OEM Hyundai Parts and you'll see tons of links to online stores that are actually dealerships with online portals and online parts diagrams... cost is usually 30% or more off MSRP for what it's worth... and it would be OEM too...

I have a few other mods to do before I put my sensor in my 2016... I didn't notice a huge difference on my 2014... but my old sensor was spotless clean so... we'll see..

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Long term testing with mine is good. The change it's made is making the roll into throttle smoother. You still have the abrupt onset of power under some conditions but on normal driving as I roll into throttle I can feel the power transition happening more linear and less herky jerky.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Long term testing with mine is good. The change it's made is making the roll into throttle smoother. You still have the abrupt onset of power under some conditions but on normal driving as I roll into throttle I can feel the power transition happening more linear and less herky jerky.
Do you have pics somewhere of your dual catch can setup? Im new here, still figuring out this forum format, lots and lots of info to search thru but I need the info now �� as time for searching is leading me nowhere real fast... also, I have the 2016. Manual tech package, bought in Oct. Last year, brand new and already have 12000 miles, and its fully stock. Could you tell me what I need in way of upgrades to protect and maintain the turbo and engine ? I dont race, but i do put 500 miles on the interstate commuting weekly and drive at speeds 80 to 90mph... im always running late. I also drive those speeds in 6th gear and now i learn of lspi.... tell me im not damaging my engine please??

181 - 200 of 224 Posts