Veloster Turbo Forum banner
141 - 160 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
I didn't think that anyone would bother making fake parts for such a relatively obscure car. I'll have to really inspect it when it gets here, maybe hook it up and look at torque data at idle to see if it actually works or not.

Quote from ebay just in case-
"Counterfeit items

If a buyer suspects that an item is counterfeit, and there are strong indicators that the item is counterfeit, we don't require the buyer to return the item to the seller. The buyer agrees to cooperate with us to ensure the proper disposal of the item. In such instances, we refund the buyer for the full cost of the item and original shipping, and the seller reimburses us for the refund. The buyer may not sell the item on eBay or elsewhere."

Can someone with a verified real sensor please take pictures from a few angles of the sensor itself? And maybe post what the thing reads at idle so those of us with questionable ones can compare?

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's why I paid $54 and got it from a dealer. Its just an extra $20 for a piece of mind. That's just me though.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Bought the new sensor from the dealer in my lunch break and installed it right there in their lot.... Hard to say what I've noticed as the VT has (to date) not been the picture of consistency. But here are my first impressions -

The throttle does seem to he smoothed out a bit. The flip side of this is, it also seems to drag. By drag I mean it doesn't seem to pull as hard. Almost like a loss in torque, like the turbo is venting more or some such nonsense. Hard to explain but I will pay closer attention and update after a couple hundred miles or so

·
Registered
872 Posts
It's still in the packaging. Didn't have time to install, but I'll update if it burns my hand or not.
It takes all of 3 minutes to install. Two 10mm bolts.
I think I had the whole thing done in about 4 minutes outside the Hyundai dealership. I keep one of those $5 Autozone socket sets in the truck so it makes quick work of things like this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just installed at work..I didn't have a socket set but I had one of those adjustable plumbers wrench lol. Took like 2 mins. I guess we'll see any improvements when I take a drive later in the day.

If anyone was curious about how the $19 sensor looked like, here it is beside the old one. New on the left , old on the right of course . I didn't realize I was covering the lettering on the bottom as I was taking the picture...and no, my hands are fine no burns.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
LOL 1ton, did you run over it before taking the photo? Why is there so much wear on the letters and all over the edges of the sensor?

Here's mine:

sensor.jpg

The Kefico logo is much more distinct (you can see all 8 little lines in the logo), there is no wear anywhere on the sensor, the lower right hole fill is even, the sealing around the main sensor housing is different and cleaner.

At best, your sensor is remanufactured or recycled. At worst, it's a knockoff. It certainly is not an authentically new Hyundai sensor.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Got mine in the mail today. Will be installing shortly.

Edit:
Got it installed. Left the battery unplugged for about 10mins after installing. Looking forward to see if there is any change on my drive home from work today.

Reactions: Incognito

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Ever since I updated my map sensor I've been getting p0299 codes. I know that that means under boost but have been reading that sometimes that can be caused by a difference in the readings between the two map sensors. I pulled both map sensors and they are now both identical 84400's.

There is however a difference in the numbers that are printed below the part numbers. Is this possibly a difference in design from the originals that were installed on the car? The new map sensor I just installed is the one that does not have the yellow dot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
No, those are manufacturing codes, likely designating geographic location, line/area #, run #, shift #, date, etc.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I am now about 150 miles into my new MAP sensor. It seems to have leveled the throttle out as mentioned in prior posts. Initially it felt sluggish so I wonder if it was "relearning" or something like that. I haven't seen any codes and the car feels equally as "powerful" as it was before at this point. No HP gains or loss from the "feel" of it (no, I haven't dyno'ed)... but the throttle has definetly lost some of the herky-jerkey/studder it had before. I was impatient and went to the dealer and over paid so there is that... All thinigs considered, I would do it again so no regrets there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am now about 150 miles into my new MAP sensor. It seems to have leveled the throttle out as mentioned in prior posts. Initially it felt sluggish so I wonder if it was "relearning" or something like that. I haven't seen any codes and the car feels equally as "powerful" as it was before at this point. No HP gains or loss from the "feel" of it (no, I haven't dyno'ed)... but the throttle has definetly lost some of the herky-jerkey/studder it had before. I was impatient and went to the dealer and over paid so there is that... All thinigs considered, I would do it again so no regrets there.
I'm debating on doing this, can you try something for me before I go out and buy a new MAP sensor: slowly press the accelerator and very gradually get the revs to climb from idle (approx. 700) to 1300. Constant pedal pressure, not just blips. Let me know, thanks! This will decide if this is worth buying.

edit: if the revs still jump from idle to 1300 or whatever, then never mind lol.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm debating on doing this, can you try something for me before I go out and buy a new MAP sensor: slowly press the accelerator and very gradually get the revs to climb from idle (approx. 700) to 1300. Constant pedal pressure, not just blips. Let me know, thanks! This will decide if this is worth buying.

edit: if the revs still jump from idle to 1300 or whatever, then never mind lol.
For me, the replacement sensor did not affect or improve the behavior you describe.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My new sensor arrived today. Just installed it and while I went out for a test drive, I ran torque app.
Old sensor on left.
IMAG0410.jpg

Right off the bat I noticed it seemed to idle more smoothly. As far as "power" goes.. it didn't really feel any different. I guess only a dyno will tell if it smoothed out the power band or not.
One huge difference that I did notice was how it affected my IAT reading.. Here are my findings.

Ambient Temp: 64 degrees F.

I drove the car for 10 minutes then let it idle for 5 minutes. IAT was at 64.4F..
Let it idle 5 more minutes (10 total) and IAT was 71F. Normally, for me, it would have been in the 90's+ after 10 minutes of idle.
screenshot (4-24-17) ambient 64.jpg

Just for fun.. here's IAT after WOT meth injection: :cool:
screenshot 2 (4-24-17) ambient 64.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts

I'm able to rev smoothly from idle to >2000 rpm with the new sensor. Nothing but good things to say about the mod on my vehicle.

141 - 160 of 224 Posts