Veloster Turbo Forum banner
161 - 180 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
My idle is closer to 900 rpm, but I can slowly slowly build revs now. I didn't use to be able to do that with the old sensor... it was 900 while you slowly upped the throttle, then revs suddenly shot up to 1500-1600.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Mine does the same now, I can go from 800 up to about 1100-1200 and then ease up to about 2k, while in park.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got the $19 sensor, it arrived about two weeks earlier than ebay said it would... Nice! I've had it on a few days, and have noticed a smoother idle overall, and also that the crazy high idle during initial cold start has disappeared. It looked new in the plastic packaging when it arrived.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I still get the initial start high idle- it's there for emissions reasons I think. It's weird that it disappeared for you...

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I still get the initial start high idle- it's there for emissions reasons I think. It's weird that it disappeared for you...
I was going to say the same thing. The car does that for a reason, not because it was a problem. Now if you have no cats I guess it's not necessary.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Update: It's been a week since I've been running the $19 sensor, here are my findings :

Idle has smoothed out. The issue I had with my rpms jumping when giving light throttle is gone now. Acceleration is definitely more linear and power is more constant. It's way more fun driving WOT now. Mind you I don't have any fancy equipment to measure data but this is what I feel when I drive my car and that is all I care about.

Now, whether this sensor is fake, knock-off, refurbished whatever you want to call it is still debatable. Sure, it wasn't from Hyundai or Korea and it wasn't $50, but there is no doubt that performance has been improved, I think it's $19 well spent. But if it was for your peace of mind sure why not go for the real deal.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
For any of you guys with a tune, I'd be weary about this "upgrade" until its been tested by a shop(or the shop where you got your tune from) that has access to the ECU's reading other than depending on a mobile device app. Just because it "feels" better doesn't mean its safe to use long term.

A tune resolved all the issues and added needed power for me.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,231 Posts
For any of you guys with a tune, I'd be weary about this "upgrade" until its been tested by a shop(or the shop where you got your tune from) that has access to the ECU's reading other than depending on a mobile device app. Just because it "feels" better doesn't mean its safe to use long term.

A tune resolved all the issues and added needed power for me.
Per the service manual, both sensors have the same electronic scaling for pressure and temperature, thus should work in the same manner as each other.

I swapped mine and notice no difference at all. But then again l clean my sensors as general maintenance unlike most would do here.

I think in many cases it is a placebo effect or one sensor was dirtier than the other causing a positive result. I have not seen any hard data to prove one is better than the other yet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine was definitely not a dirty sensor, as it was jerky from the getgo, and definitely not a placebo. It's not "a little" smoother, the difference is night and day. My wife even noticed in the passenger seat that going from standstill was much smoother all of a sudden and she didn't Know that I swapped the sensor.
It might have more of an effect on the dct...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. The car does that for a reason, not because it was a problem. Now if you have no cats I guess it's not necessary.
Well, I still have the cat in the dp, and I was accustomed to the high idle at startup since this is my second VT, and didn't mind it. Now the question is, is the lack of initial high idle bad, or not? If it's just for emissions, then I would venture that it isn't. I also have the clutch switch disconnected, and have noticed that the exhaust is "burblier" on trail throttle now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Installed my $19 ebay sensor yesterday on a 14' 6AT. I honestly cant tell any difference at all, maybe it's more obvious on models with a stick? I had just cleaned my old sensor cleaned too so maybe since it was in good shape to begin with the difference is not as stark. I use fuelly to chart my MPG though so time will tell if it improves anything.

I am happily surprised that it seems to be a real part, it's not throwing any codes or acting strangely like I expected.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I installed my $15 dollar ebay sensor last night. Smoother throughout the power band it seems for me. Not as jerky on my 1.5hr commute this morning.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Has the cold start high idle disappeared for anyone else, particularly with the $19 sensor? Car still feels smoother overall, so far so good.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Has the cold start high idle disappeared for anyone else, particularly with the $19 sensor? Car still feels smoother overall, so far so good.
Did you try reinstalling the old sensor and see if the cold start up comes back? Of course you have to let the engine get cold again but I'm curious if it's actually the sensor causing it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did you try reinstalling the old sensor and see if the cold start up comes back? Of course you have to let the engine get cold again but I'm curious if it's actually the sensor causing it.
I also noticed a lower idle in cold starts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So, I believed EC and others offered prudent advice to not skimp on this product. So my choice was the Korea sourced part below. Notice the OEM packaging and hologram. Also, the component itself has very clean and distinct markings. Kocarko supplied this for 38.89 + free shipping. It was in OEM packaging, bubble wrap, a plastic bag, and then a bubble envelope (waterproof plastic again). Delivery took two weeks.

DSCN2407.JPG
DSCN2409.JPG

edit - evil typos

Reactions: E9C900A

·
Registered
75 Posts
The cheap one I bought off eBay took about 60 years to get to my house, but it definitely made an improvement over the stock (stock stock?) MAP sensor. I can hold much lower RPM's now. Totes worth the money. Upgraded to M40 plugs at the same time and disconnected the battery and let everything reset. I'm getting one more MPG on average.

Maybe my driving habits have just improved. peace of mind if nothing else.

Reactions: Raceshark

·
Registered
701 Posts
Place an order from Korea. Now the long wait time for shipping...

They should offer free expedited shipping for fellow Koreans :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am EXTREMELY please with the MAP sensor received and the results it provided.

161 - 180 of 224 Posts