Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
impromptu skirt started at about 50mph and he pulled off at 85. I don't think it would have been pretty for me if we had lined up. So I went and bought a gas saver & now everyone wants to race! :) +1 for aggressive styling -1 for still being stock

its ok though... we talked a few mins later; I know where he lives.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I know what you mean. Every kid in a Civic wants to race me now. They are complete douche's about it, they pull up next to me and as we are moving inch closer and closer to my door. THis must be a new thing as 4 or 5 cars have done this to me. I freak them out by swurving towards their car and gun it.... I really have no interest in racing anyone .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you auto or manual? manual should've been pretty damn close if you were both stock
I am manual. We also didn't line up to do an actual "drag". I was just basing on the fact that after he dumped the gas rolling at 50 mph I was only very slowly catching back up to him. He also had a few basic mods like CAI, etc, that I do not have.

I'm not ready to pay another "street racing" fine or the increase in auto insurance that comes with the "reckless driving" charge.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I haven't gotten too many race "offers" yet. I'm just coming out of the break-in period so I haven't spent much time working on my race launch or seen red line yet.

So far launching off the line doesn't seem to be the VT's forte. The hard tires are the first thing that limits it and once the turbo is spooled 1st gear runs out quick and I have to shift to 2nd quickly to keep the steam.

But running around town and merging it is a great "point and squirt" car. Most the time I don't even have to downshift and I'm passing everyone and well in to speeding ticket zone.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
well put!
and yes, the hard accel shifting in this car is a very quick process. im still trying to get that first shift point right.
Right? I thought it might just be me.

I had it bad for BMW 2002's and they have a basement first gear too - like VW Beetle basement first gear. You just had to get first gear over with and move on to the more productive gears. At some point I figured out on one of my hot 2002's that if you revved it to red line and dropped the clutch with wide open throttle and shifted to second without letting off the throttle it all made sense - glorious snarling sense.

I can't bring myself to do that to the VT, yet.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've pretty much precisely timed it to the point of the following...
~3.5 - 4K RPM & dump clutch
blink eyes
shift to 2nd
check rearview mirror
shift to 3rd

...well you get the point. :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Now that my car is coming out of the break-in period the clutch isn't grabbing with the pedal at the firewall anymore.

I've figured out that when I'm trying to launch swiftly the shift from 1st to 2nd it goes a lot faster if I don't put the clutch all the way to the floor and feel/feather the clutch a little instead of dropping it.

And if you are doing a hot launch there is no need to check your mirrors - what is behind you is not important!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm still a little perplexed about launching the VT. If I rev the engine and slip the clutch a little it pulls OK in 1st but it doesn't seem like it is really spooling the turbo. Then when I shift in to 2nd it feels like the turbo has lost its steam. Running 1st longer and shifting faster does help but it ends up being a lot of show and not much go.

Softer tires would definitely help launching it harder and maybe let me spool the turbo more.

It just seems strange that the VT has such great roll on power but is anemic off the line.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Youve got to dump the clutch. Problem is wheel hop. Yes better tires = less hop. You also have to keep in mind that our power band starts at ~2200 rpm.
For the fastest launch (stock VT), you'll want to keep low rpm when you dump the clutch in 1st. This will help with the wheel hop. Run it on up to redline then another quick shift for 2nd (feathered clutch with moderate gas to maintain RPM at about 2200). Ive actually had mine start spinning the tire again at the top of 1st :( You'll also bark 2nd. :)
This is the best I can offer as this is the best I've found to do so far. But again, the shifting is really quick in the first 4 and very hard to nail the "proper" shift point from 1st-2nd. My first turbo car so I'm still learning how to make the little kitty purr.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts