Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keith here. Indianapolis resident and transplanted southerner. Just bought my oldest son an Eclipse to take to college in the spring and have had so much fun driving it that when it came time to retire my 06 Sonata LX I opted to go a different route myself.

Had I not bought the Eclipse (5 speed) and driven it for the last 3 weeks I would have no doubt gone for the silky smooth M/T. In the last week I have driven every Veloster engine/transmission combo out there and for me and my daily commute the Turbo A/T was the winner on versatility and grins YMMV :big smile:.

Hated to spend the extra bucks when a sunroof is really all I wanted on the package, but that one tidbit is a must have to keep the Mrs. happy on the days when we swap. So........Deposit plonked down and my Boston Red VT/AT Ultimate is currently on the train somewhere in Michigan. Expected arrival is between 9/7 and 9/10.

What kind of mileage are you getting in the real world? My dealer took me out to the burbs and we wailed that thing on the demo ride and averaged 22.1 according to the computer. Looking forward to discussions and finding out more about this little beast on the forum.

·
2,385 Posts
Hi there. M/T here but I am getting around 26mpg's right now in city driving, no highway as of yet, just crossed 450 miles.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hello Dawgfan! Boston Red is a beautiful color for the VT. I have an Elite White A/T with blue interior. My MPGs at first were around what you posted seeing during the test drive. It turns out that in stop-and-go traffic in the city or the highway rush traffic, it is what you will get. However, after I hit 1500 miles, it got better. I learned that for city driving with lots of stops, especially short commutes (I only drive 2.1 miles to work) it is better to have the ECO off. When you get on the highway, turn it on. Just yesterday I went out to the beach which is a good 20 miles from home, and on the highway I was doing over 35 MPGs with ECO. Coasting while getting to the exit, it did 42 MPGs. In city driving as long as I don't hit lights or stops, it can do low 30s MPG. Of course, if you step on the pedal, which is really easy to do and fun too, it will be a lot less. Now the MPGs are around 26 with mostly city (70/30%)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like the call will be "or less". According to Chuck's list on the other forum it shows a status of "Dealer Stock" which means that it has been loaded on a truck and released to the dealer for final sale. Now to find out if that truck has arrived. Stay tuned......................

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've only had my Veloster over the weekend. Not too much freeway action, mostly streets but I'm seeing about 26mpg.

I have the sunroof too, been open pretty much all day and night when the missus and I go driving. I consider this car my midlife crisis purchase too. So far, I love everything about it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've only had my Veloster over the weekend. Not too much freeway action, mostly streets but I'm seeing about 26mpg.

I have the sunroof too, been open pretty much all day and night when the missus and I go driving. I consider this car my midlife crisis purchase too. So far, I love everything about it.
Great city MPGs to start. I am only doing 19 to 24 city. Short distances with stop and go traffic for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had mine almost a week now and have gone through my first tank of gas.

Temper with the fact that I can't verify how "full" the tank was with my free fill up at the dealer in comparison to my fill today.

6 Days
260 Miles
10.82 Gallons (Computer said 30 miles to empty)
24.04 Computed Combined MPG

Observations......

Still in the break in period so I have been *relatively* light on the throttle. :)

Driving scenario (Rough guesses)

40% Suburban City (35-50MPH)
40% Urban Freeway (60+ MPH)
20% Inner City (Stop & Go, lights, traffic, etc)
60% running the A/C with windows/sunroof closed, 40% with windows/sunroof open and no A/C.

10% in Sport mode/Paddle Shift
10% in Sport Mode/Full Auto
75% in Eco Mode/Full Auto
5% in Eco Mode/Paddle Shift

It appears that the Elapsed Time and Avg MPG counters reset after X minutes of idle/off time (not sure what X is but it would reset while parked during the work day but did not for brief stops for groceries, etc with the engine turned off.)

I kept the display set to show the Average MPG pretty much all week. I never once saw the computer Average MPG drop below 25.3 nor get higher than 34.2 (at least not beyond the first 2 miles after a reset).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts