Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi old Veloster friends. I left here in 2015 and traded in my 2014 Sprint gray R Spec for a beautiful empire state gray Genesis coupe Ultimate 3.8.Now some of you might think im crazy going back to a smaller 4Cyl turbo Veloster R spec, but fact is. I miss my old Veloster. Now don't get me wrong my GC 3.8 with my mods listed is a great luxury sports car. Totally better than my 2010 RS -2012 SS Camaros I had. I guess I did it in a whim and now im under, who cares, at my age, 60, its just a payment,LOL. Im retireing in 6.8 years and I want a hatch back car for my fishing equipment, hikeing bags, ect. Also most of my driveing when in my own car is in the GA mountian's where I live, which is just 6 mi below Blood MTN. I really liked the versatality of my old Veloster . Im NOT a pic em up truck, suv, or mini van guy or even a four door sedan guy. I know the veloster has three doors , but it looks like a two door which is a plus. GM does not make a pocket rocket and im a die hard GM guy when I buy USA brand name. Oh I said pocket rocket, yea I humbled many a car and sport bikes on blood mtn with my not supposed to be a hot hatch Veloster R Spec. Of course mine had a Tork dyno tune and some bolt on mods. Sticky tires and wider rims, ect. Any way I really would love a NEW Rally car as im not going to lower my next VT as the one before and the Rally VT had even stiffer springs and shocks and bigger front sway bar. They aren't makeing one for 2017 either! I went into a Hyundai parts web site and noticed they don't sell the Rally syspension parts? whats up with that? I also miss the better gas mileage and lighter weight of my old R Spec and stupid things like grab rails, cup holders in the doors , easy storage in the hatch, rear view camera,cheaper insurance,ect. So as of rite now im on a waiting list at my Hyundai dealer who offers the 200,000mi 20 year warrenty which I might need this time as this may be my last car ill ever own, for a 2017 Blue R Spec. I had Corvettes for 20 years, I don't need a car like that any more, been there, done that.Besides if I need the thrill of 2.3 sec 0-60 runs ill just take out my new unleashed ECU 2017 FZ10 for that,lol. This R Spec im going to do the syspension frame stiffing mods first, rims and tires next, then the usuall engine bolt on stuff and a Tork dyno tune and call it a day and get the thing paid off one year before I retire so I have no more car payments.The other day I stopped in home depot and parked my Genesis far away from other cars. I came out and there is a Blue turbo Veloster parked rite next to me. So is some one telling me some thing? Any way ill be lurking on here and staying up to date with whats being done to this quirky good looking little hatch back three door car that to me is the best looking well equipt hatch on the market IMHOP.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Yammyboy,

Well I own both cars, love both, also had a Yamaha R6 a few years back. So we seem like very similar minded individuals.

The one item I would throw out there just to consider (if you can wait) is that this generations VT is nearing it's end of production. The first revisions on sale '13-15, refresh in 16 which will probably run 3 years til '18. So new VT in 2019, which is less then 2 years away. The new VT may/will be Hyudai's premium sports/sporty car with the Genesis Coupe being call a Genesis G70/60 etc. With the premium performance crown, we may be seeing a 2.0T on the next one, which should bump power to around 250hp. Also expect independent rear suspension, which is a big thing. If it's anything to go by this http://images.hgmsites.net/med/hyundai-rm16-n-concept-2016-busan-auto-show_100555268_m.jpg then it might be worth the wait.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I went from a '13 VT to a '13 GC 2.0T, then went back to a '16 VT. The GC was quick, exotic looking, and fun to drive, but there's something about the VT that is kind of endearing and the content of features in the car were way more than my base GC. I missed the touch screen and the heated leather along with the versatility of a hatchback. I'm not sure when the redesign is due for the VT, but you just want what you want, when you want it. If waiting for the next gen VT doesn't work with your plans for retirement just do what makes you happy. I would have liked another Vitamin C, but ended up with Pacific Blue and I'm perfectly fine with that. There wasn't a 6MT in the orange "Turbo" trim available in the Twin Cities at the time, and I enjoyed its features, didn't want the R Spec. Had to have the push button start and heated seats! Good luck with finding your car!

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you weren't satisfied with the VT enough to jump ship once why jump back? I feel like in a year or two you'll tire of the VT and look elsewhere again. I feel like it's ex girlfriend syndrome. Your call, don't let me stop you.....

Try testing a GTI, Focus ST, or a WRX if you still want a fast car, or like others said wait for the new VT.

Honestly if I were in the market now and not three years ago I would seriously look at the Civic hatchback with the 1.5T.

I love my car I really do, but at this point I can only recommend the VT as a used car. It's Hyundai's oldest platform at this point and in many ways it's really starting to show.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for the advice. One thing clear is that I was very happy with my 2014 R Spec. But I wanted to try out the GC when I seen it. You couldn't give me a ford or a hardley able too. WRX is so boxy looking.yukk. golf GTI. Same boxy look and I don't like four doors. Think I'm gonna wait awhile longer. Got 6 more mortgage payments left then I'm free of paying rent or mortgage to any human being for the rest of my human exsistance on this planet they call Earth,lol. Then it's gonna be hard to resist takeing the hit.Thanks guys. I'll be keeping a eye out around here.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I found my simple solution. Thanks to Greyhoundvt's comment I started thinking. I mentioned to my girl friend instead of tradeing in her 2013 Sonic LT in for a new Sonic RS we get her the Veloster instead. She looked at me and said, I want a white one with black rims.LOL. So when she is ready for a trade in ill be looking for a killer deal on probably a base new one for her.I can keep my GC and when its paid off in a few years maybe get the new 426HP bolton turbo kit and tune for it? Why I didn't think of this so simple solution sooner? So we took out my GC and flogged it on Blood MTN yesterday after work and had a ball. Now I can have my cake and eat it too, one luxury sport coup and one do ill all fun sport coupe,LOL.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sweet! Again I think we think exactly a like, are we long lost twins?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet! Again I think we think exactly a like, are we long lost twins?

lol, maybe. seriously I didn't even think of asking my girl friend if she would like a veloster cause she really like the r spec I had. So since she doesen't want a stick shift car again and a automatic I figured we start looking this spring or summer at the 2017 models and trade her Sonic in.I just installed the BK1 R spec stock sway bars in my GC two weeks ago because they were 1MM larger in the front and 3mm larger in the rear than the BK2 R Spec bars and made my GC more neutral and flatter handeling in the turnes.I chose the stock because I don't want the dealer to say that my after market bars cause this or that to break! Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought you were getting that Cadillac? Do not get the automatic (DCT) transmission until Hyundai provides a true fix. If she wants an auto, buy a used '15.
If I was going to trade up I would get the ATS-V Coupe. But I'm not trading up.lol. Only car on the planet I would trade up over my GC. Unless I come into stupid money.lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts