Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-Spec
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new here and I really hope someone can help me with this. So first up I'll list the vehicle and mods then I'll get into the issue.

52k miles
Oil Changed every 5k miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30

Mods:
K&N Typhoon CAI
Ark DT-S Catback Exhaust
Pierce Motorsports Catless Downpipe
HKS M45XL Spark Plugs
Performance Blinker Fluid ;)
SXTH Element Dual Catch Cans
BTR Canned Tune w/Popcorn and Extra Butter
TurboXs BOV
Various Decals for a little extra horsepower ^-^

Problem:
Ok so I've had the BTR tune for maybe 2-3 weeks (Surely you see what I'm blaming here lol) and up until a few days ago I was lovin it. My usual commute to work is maybe 5 miles tops so I haven't really pushed the car since the install. On my way to an automotive shop roughly 30 miles away I had someone riding up behind me really fast so I downshifted gears from 6th to 5th and floored it. I only got about 50ft before a huge cloud of black smoke shot from my exhaust and my car started to misfire like crazy. Once my RPMs dropped to about 4k the misfires stopped and I noticed my check engine light was flashing. Luckily I was at my destination within 2-3 minutes or so after this happened. I got out of the car and the smell coming from the engine smelt like something was burning but I checked and nothing was visually alarming. On my way back home from the shop is when I noticed that I couldn't give the car too much gas or the engine would start to misfire. These misfires happen anywhere over 4k RPM and depend on the current speed/acceleration.

Fast forward to later that night when I got home to my personal mechanic (AKA dad) I noticed that while in 1st gear I don't get any audible misfires though my father (who actually is a mechanic) said that his diagnostics tool was picking up some misfires. Now once I was in 4th I laid into it (for testing purposes) and his scanner was picking up over 1k misfires in cylinder 4 and only a few in 2 which caused codes P0300, P0302, and P0304 to pop up. Once we got back to his shop we swapped the coil packs on 2 & 4 with 1 & 3 then cleared the codes. Several misfires later and now the codes are P0300, P0301, and P0303. My father said that my spark plugs were a little loose (I changed them myself so that one's on me) Could them being loose have caused damage to the coil packs?

I'm guessing the coil packs are to blame here but my father is still not 100% sure that's my issue. He had me test swapping back to my original ECU but I was still getting the misfires. His scanner is some kind of really expensive Snap-On one so it was telling him that the misfires could be from the fuel pump not providing enough fuel. I coincidentally bought a new DW65c fuel pump from DetschWerks and hose from SXTH Element a few weeks ago that have yet to be installed but my father says he don't think that's the issue. He asked me if I could run E85 with the tune but the options available were either 91 or 93 so I went with 93. Anywho, SoCalGarage Works has a set of OEM coil packs for $245.00 sooooooo.

I've seen videos that someone posted to YouTube with the same exact misfiring spread out across like 4 different captures but no comments as to what the fix was or if he ever found one. I've also seen another post here on the forum that I believe was resolved with new coil packs.

What do y'all think it is? If you also think it's coil packs should I just order 2-4 from somewhere like Amazon/Ebay or do all 4 from SoCal? If anyone knows where else to get genuine OEM coil packs please lemme know! Amazon and Ebay do be sketchy >-> I looked up car inventories at local scrap yards and couldn't find anything. Are the coil packs on the 2014 Veloster NA and Turbo the same? If yes, then are the Kia Forte and Veloster Turbo coil packs the same?

Lots of questions ik but any help will certainly be more than appreciated!

If anyone wants to check out my social media I'm still getting everything started up ^-^ @GeminiFolf on Instagram is where I'm most active. Got a bunch of mods to add if I can get this mess sorted out!

EDIT Gap should currently be .028 now if I'm not mistaken but I've seen .024 pop up quite a bit so I'll be trying that when I get a chance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What are your plugs gapped to? Do they look ok?
I would guess its your coil packs. They have been reported to have a 50-60k lifespan. So your guess is what I would lean towards too. Forte sx (1.6t) plugs and gen1 vt coil packs should be the same but would have to double check the parts numbers.
@trdtoy says he can get genuine oem packs for about $200. I have been meaning to hit him up about some sometime soon too since I'm at 58k. Everything I have found from hyundai/kia oem parts dealers are more expensive than that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Also, some people have reported some issues with mobile 1 on our motors. You want something that is like sn plus rated. Not sure if I'm remembering the rating right...

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,962 Posts
Put oem ecu back in the car and sell the BTR. If you want a good safe tune get Qwik Tyme Performance or SXTH element engineering. Be sure plugs are all ok, less than 50 k miles, and gap to .024". Oem coils part number ending in 2B110 with less than 50 k miles(Albert Hwang on FB or I can get them). Use a better oil of proper weight and oem filter only with 3 k mile change intervals max. Fuel line needs to be in before a tune. Oem pumps are ok. 93 pump gas top tier only. Be sure the cans are hooked up properly and working properly including the PCV and check valve. Be sure the BOV is maintained and working properly. Never floor it in higher gears or at all really on a crap tune with mods or maintenance not good to start with. Have the mechanic do a compression and leakdown test before you get too far in on fixing this thing. Also a coolant hydrocarbons test to be sure the head gasket is still intact.

Check me out Qwik Tyme Performance on FB and IG :)

Reactions: Gemini

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the help!

UPDATE:
I ordered a gap measurement tool to verify the current gap and I also ordered 2 coil packs from Amazon that had reviews claiming that they're OEM. If they aren't then what is the shipping time on the coil packs that you can get @trdtoy. Worst case scenario I'll have to get an upgraded engine sooner than planned if something is seriously wrong. I'm sure I've spent more on parts than the car is worth so it's a little too late to back out now lol. Most of the parts are just sitting in my room instead of on the car until I can actually do the installs.

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
No no no, you do not need to order from another source if you want to be 100% on what you get and at a good price. There are counterfeit out there and some may be difficult to identify. Shipping from S Korea is usually less than a week. 3-5 days usually to your door via DHL. Hope you get good, new, proper oem coils, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries @trdtoy in a few days when I get the coils I'll most likely just return them if they look different in any way and just order from you. I was thinking that they'd take a couple weeks to come in but 3-5 days is perfect. I'm sure I'll need to get more coils soon anyways even if they are the right ones. I'll be in touch bud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@trdtoy How much is a set again? Once I get these in I'll test them and see if it fixes the misfires and if so I'll order another set through you around Monday so that I'll know I have OEM.

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
$200/set same as from Albert Hwang on FB. 100% oem coils direct from S Korea

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
They do not work at all or well to start with or they fail quicker than the proper new oem coils.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts