Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 馃か
Discussion Starter #1
I'm normally not one to ask questions but I've researched and researched and still don't have a firm answer on this question.

Is the 1st gen (2015 model or in that area) VT head assembly basically the same as the n/a head of the same respective year and are they swappable from one to the other.

I ask this because it's basically the same head but for the life of me cannot get my references to be specific enough to verify the cams are the same between the 2, valve springs, and so on.

I'm in the market to build a head for my VT swap but cannot find them on eBay unless I buy new.
So I thought about buying a n/a Veloster head (that I know swaps with the Accent head) and building it using KDMTUNERS upgraded parts albeit the cams would stay the same.

So this is my dilemma and come to you for a possible lead or an answer. 馃檹馃徑
Oh and anybody know where I can ship this head to have it worked as in port/ polish, decked, and cleaned up? There's really no one where I live that does this kind of work unless you have a V8. 馃檮

Registered
I see the head itself as listed for both na and turbo 1.6t's.

Not sure about other years.

I did check just intake cams for a 2016 manual and they are listed as different for the NA vs the turbo. I didn't check exhaust cam or valves. I like comparing parts for about 2 minutes and then get tired of the tedium. lol.

As far as head work, why not just do it yourself? I've taken a head to NAPA before to get it decked. That part is easy enough. For port and polishing, well. I would do it myself but I know I wouldn't do it that well. Not sure how far you're going with the build. You can gasket match the ports pretty easily and then polish it up. That might make a bit of a difference but I'm not sure how our head flows stock. Anything more than that and I would get in contact with Josh from KDM Tuners. There may be more knowledgeable 1.6t engine builders out there but I don't know of any.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Josh is hard to get a hold of as I've tried email and IG.

The head assembly you show is the same I've found but the sit auto defaults to the n/a Veloster no matter how you enter it for the turbo. This is where I'm having fits with determining this head. 馃槫

I'll do some research on the cams as well but the same issue goes with looking for those at partsdirect.com.

I do want to do all the work myself with the build including the head and block.
Cetain things will have to be machined that I can't do so I'll wind up having it done by a good machine shop but one that is familiar with this head and Josh knows that shop in Cali. 馃様

Im wanting 300 whp from the build which is quite easy for these engines and coupled with the light weight platform of the Accent will make the ultimate track car and sleeper. 馃か馃槈

I'm just now starting to source engine and tranny parts so it will be a slow process.
Thanks for the tips. 馃憤馃檹馃徑

Anyone else with some knowledge? 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I just noticed something that I missed with @Lephoenix post.
28046307-8435-4374-BB97-F2473BE20008.png

At the bottom where it says 'vehicle options' it says also fits the TCI/ GDI which I would think means turbo charge Injected engine.
I hope this is right as this would mean that both cams are the same and the head is completely interchangeable with either the n/a or turbo motors of the same build years.

I might be a happy camper then. 馃槑
Anybody want to confirm my thoughts to make me even happier? 馃槀馃槈
Thanks @Lephoenix for opening my eyes. 馃檹馃徑馃

Registered
Contact Josh from KDM tuners. He will know.

Registered
Question unrelated to this , why do a VT swap ? And not another ... more receptive engine ?
or just buy a used VT and use it as a parts car ? OR buy the Kona and do full awd gdi swap lol

this has me wondering if the Kona鈥檚 awd set up would bolt up to the VT , that would be sick

Super Moderator
most likely because it requires the least amount of custom work.

i would do it in an accent hatch though :) :love:

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Question unrelated to this , why do a VT swap ? And not another ... more receptive engine ?
or just buy a used VT and use it as a parts car ? OR buy the Kona and do full awd gdi swap lol

this has me wondering if the Kona鈥檚 awd set up would bolt up to the VT , that would be sick
The more receptive engine is the VT engine and unbeknownst to most I've spoken with an individual that has done the swap and runs his Accent as we speak.

Used VT's are hard to find where I live so even parts gathering have to be done online.
I really don't have room because I live in my truck and have a 10x30 storage facility for all my belongings and I keep my car there when I work on it or am driving the rig.

Once I found out about the interchangeable components between the different platforms that Hyundai/ Kia have I wanted to do the swap. I've always wanted to do swaps but money wasn't there. I now make good money to do this so it's a life long dream to do this and have some fun while doing it. 馃憤馃槑

@trdtoy as soon as I can get ahold of Josh a lot of questions will be answered and I'll be ready to get this done. Thanks. 馃檹馃徑

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
most likely because it requires the least amount of custom work.

i would do it in an accent hatch though :) :love:
Actually the hatch is heavier by 100 lbs over the sedan which is why I chose the sedan when I bought mine. 馃槀馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔忦煈
Either way a good choice for engine swap.

Oh and the Veloster turbo engine will fit directly into the n/a 6 speed manual tranny without modification. Now if only a Quaiffe can be stuffed in. . . .

Registered
The more receptive engine is the VT engine and unbeknownst to most I've spoken with an individual that has..
soun like good enough reason to me.

by receptive I meant in terms of power output from mods , the vt from stock to full bolt on has its limits and from what what I鈥檝e seen , comparing to it鈥檚 rivals , those limits are lower than the others .

that鈥檚 just my thought process when it comes to engine swapping, better to swap to something that has more potential

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
soun like good enough reason to me.

by receptive I meant in terms of power output from mods , the vt from stock to full bolt on has its limits and from what what I鈥檝e seen , comparing to it鈥檚 rivals , those limits are lower than the others .

that鈥檚 just my thought process when it comes to engine swapping, better to swap to something that has more potential
I agree but remember I'm putting a 300 hp engine in my Accent that may weigh around 2400 pounds without me in the seat.
Thats about 8 pounds per hp and a very good power to weight ratio. 馃槼馃榿

Even Josh from KDMTuners states on the ninetyoneoctane.com podcast recently that with those kind of numbers the Rio/ Accent should run in the 12's in the drag strip.
It's ironic that I had these plans a year ago and then you hear Josh stating that he too has always wanted to build a Rio/ Accent with a VT engine swap to see what it could do. 馃槏 It just confirmed what I already k ew about what would work and how fast it would be. 馃憤

Once I get in touch with Josh and we talk I'll let everyone know what's up on this type of swap. We'll all know then. 馃槈

Super Moderator
hyundai\kia sells or sold a b-spec rio SX white model...

too bad none of this would work in my 01 kia rio / ford festiva trash can.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Well after a lot of digging I'm learning the differences of the VT head over the NAV head (22100-2b702 which is now discontinued) There's really not that much difference but the exhaust valves, exhaust cams, and exhaust guides are different oem numbers than the NAV heads.

I would probably attribute this to more heat being produced with the turbo and different materials used for the exhaust valve for this reason. There may be a minute size difference in the stem of the exhaust valve prompting a different part number for the exhaust valve guide.

So now I'm relegated to buying a new head instead of used because used won't have any usable parts like the cams, lifters, and so on.

I've added it up buying used and new and they're real close so probably go with the 22100-2b705 head which is now used in both the NAV and VT from what I'm seeing.
This also drives me to just get a crate VT engine and be done with it and build from there. 馃槼馃え
That's more money I wanted to spend and then replacing all those new crate parts with performance parts would add another $2500 to the total price. 馃槼馃槪馃ズ

I'll have to do more research on a crate engine and try to continue to reach out to Josh at KDMTUNERS for some of his knowledgeable insight.
A performance engine package deal would be mint if offered so we'll see.

Registered
What's your target C/R? I believe the 22100-2b705-S head has a higher compression ratio if you feel like going that route. Just another option. I have always been curious what the gen 1 vt turbo and gen 2 head would be like... probably more headaches. haha.

I'm surprised you haven't heard from Josh. Maybe he is swamped. These are strange times for everyone though so who knows.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
What's your target C/R? I believe the 22100-2b705-S head has a higher compression ratio if you feel like going that route. Just another option. I have always been curious what the gen 1 vt turbo and gen 2 head would be like... probably more headaches. haha.

I'm surprised you haven't heard from Josh. Maybe he is swamped. These are strange times for everyone though so who knows.
9.5:1 is what I'm looking for.
I did notice the S head but didn't know what the difference was so I'm sticking with what will work for the Accent and keep things simple with the swap.

I'm almost sure in time there will be others wanting to swap turbo motors to their NAV.
Josh is a busy man working out of his garage basically along with him having builds that probably extend for the next 6 months to be done.
I have time.
With only 60-70 days off a year (literally) driving a truck I have only so much time available anyway.

Thanks for the responses. 馃憤馃檹馃徑

Registered
I know he'll be busy with my engine for a bit :)
Not to derail misnblu's thread but,

Where's your build thread? I'm still curious how you ran a 13.4 with what seems like relatively little mods.With a built motor whats possible? 12's for sure. 11's maybe?

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Well I decided to just buy (soon) a crate engine, 170N1-2BU04 to be specific instead of buying used heads and short blocks.
By the time you clean up the used parts and install new internals it will cost about the same amount of money.
Besides with the new engine there's no cleaning and I'm starting with a fresh sheet of paper so to speak.

Stuffed turbo kit from KDMTUNERS and the upgraded KDMTUNERS engine kit to finish out the engine build.

I figured to spend about 10 grand on this swap but may go a bit over the way things are looking.

Seeing how I've never built an engine before (馃槼) I figure I can do this since I've done everything else to an engine and swapped a couple of transmissions so now is the time to finish my last step to becoming a real mechanic. 馃槀馃槈

So what do y'all think? Do it myself or have it built?
Any other suggestions I may have missed?
Anybody know where I can get a good used 2016 VT ecu for a 6 speed MT with ecu plugs and harness? Even cut wires aren't an issue since I'm an electronic tech in my past life and can piece it all together to make it work and look professional. 馃榿

Btw this will all take place in the next 2-3 years on this project but it will be done as my final build. Progress is slow but each week out of a month I'm making progress to get this ready. 馃憤

1 - 20 of 50 Posts