Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
You’re a pretty competent guy and engines aren’t super tough. Give it a go! In the past I would send parts to machine shops for work, like decking a head/block but assembly I would take care of myself. Just take it slow, make diagrams and labels for everything and double check your measurements.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks @RPW00Mirage . 🙏🏽
I am ordering a book, "How to Rebuild Honda B-Series Engine by Jason Siu" to get me familiarized with the whole process.
The B16 Honda motor is quite similar to our Gamma engine albeit ours is gdi but this will certainly give me ideas on what tools and procedures to follow.

I also have the Hyundai service manual in pdf format that should help with torque numbers and torque sequences.
Call me crazy but I'm excited to do this and pretty much is the last piece of the puzzle to actually saying I've built an engine. 🤟

To any of the mods here would it be ok if I start a build thread even though I don't actually have a Veloster?
Ive got a build thread on the Accent forums but wouldn't mind starting one here. 👍

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
it's cool with me!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Since the mods were nice bough to allow me a build thread even though I don't own a Veloster I thought I'd give a link to my Showcase on this forum for everyone can see what's been done to the ca so far.

So far I've got 9+ grand into the car and plan on another 10k to get her close to finished.
With this covid-19 crap 😷 everywhere things have slowed down in the build for now.

My last time I was concentrating on getting the wiring going for the interior electrical components and that's time consuming to say the least.
Plus I'm having a hard time finding a spot on the fire wall to gain entrance for all the wires etc. I don't want to use the steering column grommet but nothing is ruled out at the moment.
All my wires are soldered and dual wall heat shrunk so this is why it takes time for wiring.
The other thing I'm doing is adding quick disconnects to certain harnesses so I can easily remove panels without cutting wires and reworking them again.
I never do sloppy work and the perfectionist comes out in me when I work on cars. 😂😉

Thanks for looking.
I'll post up some thumbnails of some of the things I'm doing. Once home I'll have more updates on this long term build. 👍

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well I pulled the plug and decided to get a new intake manifold for the build.
Thanks to @trdtoy for the confirmation on some OEM numbers that helped me make the decision.
Being a new unit it will come with all the components needed for the manifold to be bolted up and work. This was the factor for me to buy new.
A used unit would've been cheaper but then you figure all that you've got to add to it to make it work cost the same or more.

I also bought my rear brake pads (finally) from StopTech for the rear axle swap I'm working on to convert to disc. Drums suck. 🖕🏻💩😂

I'll be home for a couple of days as I'm starting a new job next Monday with a different carrier making more money than I was at the present carrier. 👍😎

Now to get the car paid off and student loan and I'll be set for more car parts. 😂

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
blu you can always remove the coolant lines that run through the manifold too! i will do mine eventually...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A new OEM manifold?
Yup a new manifold since I didn't want a used unit. No cleaning up and it's ready to go. 👍

blu you can always remove the coolant lines that run through the manifold too! i will do mine eventually...
Thanks for the tip on this. 👍
I did notice the lines and figured they were for the coolant so will do. 😉😁

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yup a new manifold since I didn't want a used unit. No cleaning up and it's ready to go. 👍

Thanks for the tip on this. 👍
I did notice the lines and figured they were for the coolant so will do. 😉😁

I wasn't sure if you someone how got your hands on a prototype kdm tuners intake manifold. 🤤

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I wasn't sure if you someone how got your hands on a prototype kdm tuners intake manifold. 🤤
That type of manifold will be for the serious power build which won't be me. 😂
300whp in a 2400 pound Accent is more than enough power to weight ratio I can handle. 🤣😁🤷🏼‍♂️
Deep down though that manifold would look tits under my hood. 🤫

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Is this also the manifold where you can remove some kind of flapper valve I've read about? 🤔
not sure - i know there is one in my airbox that i've taped shut.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm surprised you bought this considering that you are looking to pick up a whole engine assy. Pretty sure only the NA has the butterflies...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm surprised you bought this considering that you are looking to pick up a whole engine assy. Pretty sure only the NA has the butterflies...
That's good to know about the butterflies. 👍
On the manifold I wanted new and the cost wasn't bad at all. I even have another 60mm throttlebody for the turbo even though I have one (60mm) I can use from the Accent motor but want to keep the Accent motor complete for future upgrades and exploration. 🤔
I'll always have a backup motor for that just in case. 😂

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I think the G4FJ would be interesting with the variable runner intake manifold of the V on it. Would be curious how the power curve could be altered and how it would compare to the OEM VT IM.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I think the G4FJ would be interesting with the variable runner intake manifold of the V on it. Would be curious how the power curve could be altered and how it would compare to the OEM VT IM.
That's a good point you bring up and might smoothen up the curve in power and torqu
Im still ignorant on a lot of things but I thought the VT intake manifold had the same variable runner?
I'll know more when I actually get the VT manifold in hand.

Thanks for all the feedback peeps. I'm taking all this in like a sponge. 😎

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Power curve can be smoothed with a good tune. No variable runner in the VT but the VN does have this. VT ecu has no way to control the variable runner actuator though so it would have to be another solution to that. I'd just be curious how the power curves would change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can't imagine there would be any benefit. Turbo takes care of the velocity down low, and the VT manifold probably flows more overall. Would be interesting though.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts