Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been super active on here or with my VT ever since X passed away & turbo blew.

I still have all supporting mods in my signature, but have been contemplating on whether I should further modify the VT.

My tune is no longer supported which means I'll have to start from scratch with a new tuner who is knowledgeable & can possible pick up where X left off.

I'm at 120,000 miles, no engine problems, but have had 2 DCT's replaced under warranty.

The car has been sitting for the last 9 months in a garage with no activity to it. (Please chime in & let me know if I should have or should do anything to prevent any further damage)

Purchased:
-new oem turbo
-godspeed traction s sport springs

What I want/need:
-new fuel line and pump (dw 65cc & kdm tuners braided)
-rotors and brakes(slotted &/or drilled){recommendations needed}
-new tires
-meth injection
-boomba bov

Anything else you guys think I should consider or replace while it's down.

Thanks.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd wait til after the recall notice in January they may pull some shit about mods. These cars are time bombs apparently lol

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,260 Posts
Convert to stock, trade for a 15-17 manual or 15 auto with low mileage, and continue on! :)

·
Registered
2013 VT
75 Posts
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been super active on here or with my VT ever since X passed away & turbo blew.

I still have all supporting mods in my signature, but have been contemplating on whether I should further modify the VT.

My tune is no longer supported which means I'll have to start from scratch with a new tuner who is knowledgeable & can possible pick up where X left off.

I'm at 120,000 miles, no engine problems, but have had 2 DCT's replaced under warranty.

The car has been sitting for the last 9 months in a garage with no activity to it. (Please chime in & let me know if I should have or should do anything to prevent any further damage)

Purchased:
-new oem turbo
-godspeed traction s sport springs

What I want/need:
-new fuel line and pump (dw 65cc & kdm tuners braided)
-rotors and brakes(slotted &/or drilled){recommendations needed}
-new tires
-meth injection
-boomba bov

Anything else you guys think I should consider or replace while it's down.

Thanks.
My 0.02 would be to get the tune sorted [RIP x]. Tires, brakes, and fuel line all sound like essential/maintenance items so if you intend to keep driving her (you should! :D), I'd do it, but you could always go for a drive again and decide (9 months can be long enough to forget how much you love/hate something).

---side note, DM me if you're interested in a BOV. I'm selling a Turbosmart Kompact really soon (same flange setup as OEM) and would be better/cheaper than boomba in my humble, unbiased opinion ;D

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
cant trdtoy help you with a tune?

i would sub the boomba for the gfb .

Reactions: TooGqForYou

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
437 Posts
You've come this far and as far as I can see you do have a secondary form of transportation so continue on. 👍

You had fun with the car and seemed well taken care of. I'd also be looking into replacing things that require maintenance at those miles to ensure further enjoyment from your ride.

Good luck on the decision for sure. 🙏🏽🤟

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody have a recommendation for quality brake kit with rotors and brakes(front and back). I'm having the hardest time finding ones that fit the 2016 VT. Everything shows for 13-15 Vt's

·
Registered
437 Posts
Anybody have a recommendation for quality brake kit with rotors and brakes(front and back). I'm having the hardest time finding ones that fit the 2016 VT. Everything shows for 13-15 Vt's
Rotors of quality. I just bought the PowerStop rotors you'll see in the performance section.
You'll have to scroll down.

Here's some quality pads. Z23 by PowerStop are what I got as well.
Scroll down to see them.

Amazon doesn't have anything. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Anyway you've got selections to choose from.
Good luck. 👍🎄

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Many have used them that I know and have had good results. Have not heard any cons yet myself.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FiST community swears by them as well...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm partial to name brands that I trust and not dissing R1 Concepts at all but there's no name brand to their braking systems and that threw the first flag for me. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Again I'm not knocking them or their product as sales and reviews do tell the story of a good product nonetheless. 👍

So I did some digging and here's what I found and considering the price of the complete kit for the front and rear sets I would figure R1 is reselling the Detroit Axle brand of product.
4D15F0A1-21A6-487B-BC96-37A279164A69.jpeg 784AA8FB-39AE-47FC-BF53-808BDF398743.jpeg

The above is for the 2016 VT and $125.00 for the complete set.
10 year warranty on the product isn't bad and looks legit on Amazon which is where I'd seen this.

I've never heard of Detroit Axle so maybe I'm missing something or R1 Concepts either.
I'll have a better look at the R1 product line as well for future reference and thanks for the feedback on this. It takes me a while to warm up to new companies not in the mainstream. 😉👍🎄😷

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great research @misnblu

I will let you know if I have any issues with install, but more importantly when I'm back on the road to see how they hold up. I'm part of the Canyon Junkies in So-Cal where we go ham on the 33 & malibu canyons.

I did have an ST owner in our group state they were crap & that his oem brakes and rotors withstood better and lasted longer. He stated the ceramic brakes lasted him 6-10 months & that the rotors got too hot! He canyons 2-3 times weekly along with daily driving so that's a huge factor. Another member in our group chimed in and said "Tbh bro. Real performance brakes are not about longevity but about how well they perform under pressure and heat. & that everyone has their own driving style"

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that I've gotten my brakes & rotors squared away, I need some feedback/reccomendations on shocks. I'm sure at 120k miles I need new ones , for sure long overdue. I hear great things about Koni sports.

Also, going to purchase kdm's fuel line but does anyone recommend the DeatschWerks 65c or 300c?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Koni are good from what I hear but $$$. Personally I'd go coilovers if spending that kind of $ or keep it oem. I just do not see spending koni $$$ to have a mediocre setup overall when coilovers do not cost much more.

Qwik Tyme Performance or KDM Tuners fuel line. QTP is the best and KDM is number 2 with cost being similar.

I've heard good and bad on the DW pumps from various people. I used a DW65C off and on for testing in my 15 VT no issues then sold the pump to go to the DW300C. It lasted a few months and failed. Replaced with another DW300C and it failed in 180 miles. Still have to send those two pumps in to see what caused the failure. Not sure if it was due to pump issue or install. I did not install the 300's that I had fail but had no issues from the oem or 65C installs. May or may not be a coincidence. TBD.......... Other options are out there as well so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Koni are good from what I hear but $$$. Personally I'd go coilovers if spending that kind of $ or keep it oem. I just do not see spending koni $$$ to have a mediocre setup overall when coilovers do not cost much more.

Qwik Tyme Performance or KDM Tuners fuel line. QTP is the best and KDM is number 2 with cost being similar.

I've heard good and bad on the DW pumps from various people. I used a DW65C off and on for testing in my 15 VT no issues then sold the pump to go to the DW300C. It lasted a few months and failed. Replaced with another DW300C and it failed in 180 miles. Still have to send those two pumps in to see what caused the failure. Not sure if it was due to pump issue or install. I did not install the 300's that I had fail but had no issues from the oem or 65C installs. May or may not be a coincidence. TBD.......... Other options are out there as well so keep that in mind.
I already purchased Godspeed springs so I'm definitely going to get new shocks.

I've had no issues with my oem pump or lines & only feel the need to upgrade due to hopefully going full e85 on the tune you put me on?! If I remember correctly you stated that may not be possible? Otherwise should I just keep my oem lines and pump?

Would you change your

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Up to you if $ for upgraded shocks will be worth it or not.

I'd keep the oem pump and line until you have issues or need them. Unless going to run higher E fuel then I'd upgrade both the pump and the line. I say this with some hesitancy as I'm not sure if the DCT will slip before the fuel demand of E85 will overcome the need of a pump and line or not. So I only say this to be better safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts