Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I've got a 2020 R-Spec that I bought in February and have just now hit 3K miles on (the pandy has cut my driving significantly).

I live in the south and as the nights are getting colder, I've noticed some moisture build up in both of my headlamps. It's persistent all throughout my drive (with lights on) but goes away once parked back in my garage. After doing some reading, I've come to realize that this is fairly common and not really an issue, however I figured I would see what I could do to help it out.

First - I'm very OCD about any bug residue on my car, and because of that I clean the front off after every drive. This probably wasn't great for preventing moisture build up so I'll be holding off on that until the car has completely cooled and temperatures are that of the ambient environment as to not cause a sudden influx of moisture into the headlight venting holes. I'm aware that this practice probably caused the issue in the first place, so on to step two to fix it.

Second - I pulled the dust caps and a bulb and wedged a silica packet into the housing via the bulb boss (not all the way of course) and put two more behind the reflector to help absorb any moisture. I wouldn't be driving all week so I tossed the cap back on and let them do their work over the past week.

Time will tell if that has helped the situation, but in pulling the cap off, I noticed what looks like a form of silica packed into dust cap housing from the factory. If Hyundai knows this is an issue, this is a great way of preventing mass build up, however, silica is not good forever and needs to be replaced every 6-12 months depending on the conditions that it has been in. Considering the amount of moisture I put these things through with my mentally unstable amount of religious cleaning....these things are probably coming up on needing to be replaced.

I've looked around on parts fiche diagrams and see no mention of the packet that is sandwiched behind the plastic retainer.
Does anyone know if I'm even on the right track thinking that this is indeed some form of silica (has "do not eat" in big letters on it) and do you know where I could pick some up?

Here's a picture of the dust cap - I'm not sure if this is new to the 2019+ models or not.

Registered
2020 Chalk white Turbo Ultimate
I had that problem on my first wash. Hasnt happened since tho

Registered
Also how are you washing your car? Commercial car washes are not a good idea. Armor all cleaning wipes work great at removing bugs. Wipe bugs to wet, wait about 30 seconds and use another clean wet wipe and the bugs come right off then wash normally.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Also how are you washing your car? Commercial car washes are not a good idea. Armor all cleaning wipes work great at removing bugs. Wipe bugs to wet, wait about 30 seconds and use another clean wet wipe and the bugs come right off then wash normally.
Do you think I take my car through a commercial car wash after every drive, even with me being admittedly OCD about the paint? Absolutely not. I never go to drive through washes. I'm actually an avid detailer which is why I'm paranoid about bug residue. I have a ceramic coat on my car and delicately hand wash only. Only the front grille / bumper get's wiped down with some soapy water and ceramic spray after each drive.

Registered
I have no idea what you do after every drive. You posted here looking for advice. As a lifelong enthusiast, professional mechanic with eight ASE certs I did my best with limited info to help you. Probably best if I keep my experience to myself and let you learn as I did pre internet the hard way.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I have no idea what you do after every drive. You posted here looking for advice. As a lifelong enthusiast, professional mechanic with eight ASE certs I did my best with limited info to help you. Probably best if I keep my experience to myself and let you learn as I did pre internet the hard way.
I guess my response rubbed you the wrong way - sorry about that. I figured specifying that just the front is washed would imply that it鈥檚 not commercial - I don鈥檛 know what kind of commercial wash is front only.

But alright man, didn鈥檛 mean to offend but you do what you gotta do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts