Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 VT
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. As someone that's been an avid fan and exclusive motul user since the beginning, I'm pretty late to the game in finding out there's an updated formula for our beloved motor oil, dubbed "Gen 2". It mentions large displacement engines, and updated BMW (2019+) approvals, but I can't find more info on whether this would be an (albeit negligible) improvement for our specific cars over the first gen? I definitely am not trying to start another motor oil preference discussion, that horse died ages ago, I'm just wondering if anyone has used it or can shed some more light on whether this is a beneficial thing for the veloster community, even if it's just a small detergent/formula rebalance. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
58 Posts
Late reply, but since I had the same question before I changed my oil for the first time (new-to-me car, and the dealership put in horrible oil, overfilled, and with an off-brand filter), here's some of the information I found while doing my research. Ultimately I ended up going with the X-cess Gen2 5w-40, along with OEM filter and CERMA treatment, and can definitely say that my girl is running noticeably better than she was - smoother and quieter idle immediately noticeable. The CERMA will contribute to that of course, but it takes time to work so I'm given to think the immediate improvement was attributable to the oil.

I haven't run the first gen, so can't speak to its performance, but given that Gen2 is backward-compatible, it's certainly an appropriate selection for our cars.

That being said, as to the actual difference, well, the quoted improvements from Motul (with what I take to be the relevant improvements for our cars in particular bolded):
  • 8100 X-cess gen2 5W40 is OEM approved for all new 2019+ BMWs requiring LL-01 (and backward compatible to all previous cars requiring BMW LL-01)
  • Increased oil performance in high horsepower applications
  • Improved viscosity stability under extreme temperatures
  • Increased turbocharger cleanliness and protection
  • Low pour point for better cold start performance
  • Better additive retention contributing to engine protection
  • Longer oil life
  • Approvals: BMW LL-01 (all model years), MB 229.5/226.5, Porsche A40, VW 502 00 / 505 00
Personally, the "longer oil life" isn't very important to me since I plan OCI of 3k miles regardless; also I'm not sure about the "better additive retention" since -other than the one-time CERMA treatment- I won't be using any additives. Unless maybe they mean better retention of the additives already in it? Not clear on that.

Also, from a Motul rep on a Porsche forum: "Compared to the existing products, both gen2 products have higher shear stability, longer oil life, and enhanced piston deposit control to avoid LSPI." (emphasis mine). Honestly, that last bit is what hooked me.

And, as a final bit of maybe-useful information, the spec sheet on the X-cess Gen2 5w-40 is attached (if you hadn't already looked at that).

Attachments

Reactions: RPW00Mirage

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,439 Posts
It is a little better oil and you can't go wrong using either one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts