Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
885850_230008410494119_2061799646_o.jpg

I've been toying around with this idea for a while but recently started actually trying to figure out how to do it. I was planning on acquiring a Solo exhaust but there doesn't seem to be enough space to get everything in there.

20141008_141501.jpg
20141008_141838.jpg

This is what i could see when I squeezed (emphasis on squeezed) under the rear to see what was going on back there.

If I go with the Solo, the passengers side is what I think would be the most trouble due to lack of space. If I were to go the route of just deleting the rear muffler then my main concern would probably be getting around the tow hook and finding places to add support. After that, the other concern that has popped up is whether or not the black reflector housings would be able to take the heat of the exhaust without melting.

I need some input on which option would be the better of the two. Solo or Muffler delete.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It would be best to find an exhaust shop that can bend the tubing, and go full custom IMO.

·
Registered
567 Posts
What i heard for the guy who did my muffler delete was to have at least 1" away from any plastic. The red reflector is 4 1/2"s in diameter, so by his wishes the pipe would have to be 2 1/2".

Reactions: captainofiron

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Alright. So if I were to get the pipes run to the reflectors in 2.5" (here comes the stupid question) do you think that I could get away with putting a set of bigger tips on there to help close the gap? What I really mean to ask is do you think that the tips would conduct all the heat from the pipes onto the plastic, or would they be cooler than the pipes?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Alright. So if I were to get the pipes run to the reflectors in 2.5" (here comes the stupid question) do you think that I could get away put a set of bigger tips on there to help close the gap? What I really mean to ask is do you think that the tips would conduct all the heat from the pipes onto the plastic, or would they be cooler than the pipes?
It will transfer heat, how much? I don't know. You could cut the reflector surrounds out as well to give some room.

this area
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
You won't melt the plastic. Have the guy run 2.5" pipe to the bezel. Put a 4" double wall tip on.
I just finished an hour and a half drive and my tips are no hotter than the hood of my car.
Heck, I can touch the actual pipes they are attached to and other than getting dirty I'm fine.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You won't melt the plastic. Have the guy run 2.5" pipe to the bezel. Put a 4" double wall tip on.
I just finished an hour and a half drive and my tips are no hotter than the hood of my car.
Heck, I can touch the actual pipes they are attached to and other than getting dirty I'm fine.
there you go OP

Reactions: Chappy_Snappy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
i hope you can accomplish this, it would be cool to see someone that doesn't have a giant budget do it. the easiest way i would think to do it is either start with a magnaflow, or muffler delete. basically anything that gets rid of every exhaust part in the rear then just custom bend some pipes to fit in there. weight shouldn't matter too much because your getting rid of the muffler in the back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i hope you can accomplish this, it would be cool to see someone that doesn't have a giant budget do it. the easiest way i would think to do it is either start with a magnaflow, or muffler delete. basically anything that gets rid of every exhaust part in the rear then just custom bend some pipes to fit in there. weight shouldn't matter too much because your getting rid of the muffler in the back.
The only reason I wanna try this with the Solo is because I have a good deal lined up to get one. I've gotta set a date to meet up and discuss the idea and doability of this with the exhuast guy. If it's not possible/ too expensive with the solo I'll go the route of the muffler delete (which should be easier anyways) So far all the research and feedback I've been getting is making me more optimistic about being able to do it. I haven't gotten any prices yet. But I'll keep updating you guys as I make more progress on this project.

Reactions: hyatt

·
Registered
567 Posts
This was an idea of mine. I also wanted to put the exits at the sides in front of the rear wheels, that would not work when I put my springs on so, I will probably be going this route as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you make any progress before I do, please share your experience. My progress won't be too fast because of the lack of time. Work is busy lol.

Reactions: wesg631

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're worried about excess heat melting the plastic trim, consider coating the tips with ceramic.
Ceramic you say? How is the cost on ceramic coating and where would I go to have that done? Also, how are the color options?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ceramic coating is usually a dull grey color. I had a ceramic coated header on my cobalt ss. The price depends on who does the work.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you make any progress before I do, please share your experience. My progress won't be too fast because of the lack of time. Work is busy lol.
That is a deal. I was wanting to keep it kind of a secret but what the hey.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thanks -x-

Reactions: -X-

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Coating just the tips with ceramic would be reasonable. How much depends on who you choose and what they use. Cerakote, for example, has different colors but are limited to silvers, blacks, grays and gold. You can search their site for local applicators.

Cerakote Coatings
I was thinking a color as close to the polished metal so I would probably go with whatever's available that's closest to that

That is a deal. I was wanting to keep it kind of a secret but what the hey.
Thanks man.

Reactions: wesg631

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cerakote also has clear ceramic options if the silvers are not shiny enough for you.
That would be ideal.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I have a 3 inch pipe coming out the reflector and it hadn't melted yet. At first the exhaust moved around a lot and was very close after I got home but the plastic was still ok. With a solo you would have to rearrange everything and you would not have the same sound. I will respond to your pm shortly

1 - 20 of 103 Posts