Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’ve been searching the forum and trying to diagnose a misfire issue I’ve been having for the last two weeks.
2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo 78k cai, muffler delete. Have the vehicle for four months. From California, bought in Utah where it currently is.
I got a misfire code while out racing around one night. Under heavy boost the vehicle would stutter, hesistate and just not go any faster. Got a cel for cylinder three misfire. I replaced my plugs with ngk platinum iridium premium plugs. No change. I switched the coil pack from three to two to see if that was the issue. The misfire moved to two so I figured bad coil pack and replaced it. Still no luck. I went from one misfire in 3 to misfires in 1-3 and a random misfire code.
Prior to moving the coil pack my buddy and I diagnosed the waste gate wasn’t working properly and maybe that was the problem. the old one was defiantly on its way out but that wasn’t the issue either.
We figured it’s gas related since all previous attempts did not help.
I picked up a high pressure fuel pump from a local junkyard today and installed it. Took the vehicle for a drive and about a mile from home it died. It ran very poorly and is making a lot more exhaust noise. I took it home and put the old one back one and it still runs poorly and loudly.
I’m at a loss here and before I pay a shop to diagnose it, I would have a chat with Veloster owners who may have had the same issues. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Welcome to the forum

First be sure no damage has been done to the engine the do the below:

Replace all coils with OEM VT coils.

Replace plugs with HKS M45XL or NGK R2556G-9 with proper gap of .028".

Use 91 or 93 gas at a minimum.

Be sure to have fuel line upgraded as that can cause issues.

Get updated dealer tune or better aftermarket tune.

Use oem oil filter and good synthetic oil with 3k miles or less change intervals.

This should give you a good start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can’t afford to replace all the coil packs at the moment or else I would. I did replace all the plugs and will check my receipt to make sure they are those ngks. I have been using 85 gas since I purchased the vehicle with no issues until now. I have changed the oil with valve line high mileage and sup xl filter every three k on miles. The previous owner records show a lot more miles between oil changes.
Any after market tunes you would suggest? I’m new to owner I turbo car but was under the impression that you have to have an access port to tune.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Definitely need a full set of new OEM ignition coils. Period. No tuner will touch this car with a misfiring issue and running on 85 AKI fuel (which is unheard of).

Your combustion chambers and intake valves are likely caked with hydrocarbon deposits. Borescope the cylinders. Do compression and leakdown tests on all cylinders. Decide if you want to proceed with a full cleanup or ditch this car for a cheap Subaru WRX/STi. Then you can get an AccessPort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SAME EXACT PROBLEM. Been going on since June. Did everything from plugs, coils, alternator, battery, you name it. Took it to the dealer in July and they couldn’t diagnose and said it was running super hot. Fast forward to today...it goes in tomorrow for a retune from a recall from Hyundai issued in March (before it went to the dealer) that causes preignition and excessive heat that can cause fire, it on 2013 Turbos assembled in Korea.
It’s Hyundai recall number 182

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update! After trying to diagnose the issue I stumbled onto the recall for the vehicle to reprogram the ecu for air to fuel ratio. Figured that had to be the issue and after throwing hundreds on dollars trying to diagnose it I figured it was time to take it to the dealership. Has to get a car trailer and tow it there it was undriveable at that time. It’s been there for almost two weeks but I have great news. Hyundai did a thorough inspection on the engine and has agreed to cover %100 of the cost to replace the engine. They said my piston heads were charred and is replacing the engine and turbo under the recall. I went into today to get some things out of it since it will be there awhile. The service rep even said he would get me a rental and will call me when he has one lined up. Took them over a week to hear back from Hyundai on their decision but I’m beyond shocked they are covering it %100.
Hopefully you’re as lucky as i was.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Caked & charred. Congrats on the replacement engine. Time to order up two high quality catch cans to help keep it cleaner after you get it back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exactly what my car did and what I did.. it was missing and eating spark plug then the recall happened. I ask the sever guy what about all that metal that went threw the motor. Here the funny thing! He said most likely it went out the valves. I thought wow really. Well any way they to couldnt find anything wirng as well now it seems to fowl the one one plug and smoke out the exhaust. So back to the deal it goes. By the way it's been doing this for 20k miles and all I get is the run around. Tired!

·
Registered
29 Posts
SAME EXACT PROBLEM. Been going on since June. Did everything from plugs, coils, alternator, battery, you name it. Took it to the dealer in July and they couldn’t diagnose and said it was running super hot. Fast forward to today...it goes in tomorrow for a retune from a recall from Hyundai issued in March (before it went to the dealer) that causes preignition and excessive heat that can cause fire, it on 2013 Turbos assembled in Korea.
It’s Hyundai recall number 182
Did you ever find out why it's running hot?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in Aus with a 1.6ltr SR turbo petrol. Got my recall letter. Two days before receiving it my engine light started flashing with all the symptoms described above. I had a cracked spark plug so they replaced all four at cost of $462 (AU). Got it back and drove it for one day. Engine light on permanently. Back it goes to find bad coils, $700 (AU) to repair. Wondering if my car is a lemon or is this normal for 6yr old Velosters ???

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I am in Aus with a 1.6ltr SR turbo petrol. Got my recall letter. Two days before receiving it my engine light started flashing with all the symptoms described above. I had a cracked spark plug so they replaced all four at cost of $462 (AU). Got it back and drove it for one day. Engine light on permanently. Back it goes to find bad coils, $700 (AU) to repair. Wondering if my car is a lemon or is this normal for 6yr old Velosters ???
Seems typical for many that are getting age on them and especially the earlier model years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts