Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of you guys have mentioned things about the photos I've been posting of my VT. I'm an automotive photographer from Florida and I spend a lot of my time with really high-end cars. Not only do I work for Porsche, so I can literally take out anything I want, but my private client list includes Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, race cars, etc so I get to shoot a lot of cool stuff. On top of hitting all the major race tracks in Florida I get media passes to a lot of the major automotive events throughout the state (Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, Ferrari Challenge, Festivals of Speed).

I've been featured on Top Gear UK's website, in a Ferrari Owner's Club monthly magazine, on the cover of Porsche Profile, and I've got a full feature coming out in June in 9Magazine, the nation's fastest growing Porsche magazine.

Check out my website and be sure to "Like" me on Facebook!

So without further adieu, here's a compilation of some of my personal favorites. Quality may be compressed in some of these.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Would love to hear some tips on improving taking photos of cars.

Reactions: smokeshow

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
339 Posts
What makes a good shot? Angles. Lighting. Etc.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What makes a good shot? Angles. Lighting. Etc.
There's no real answer to this. I've seen some iPhone photos that look more professional and gallery worthy than shots taken with $10,000 cameras. A "good shot" is all relative. But I guess in general it would consist of composition, subject, focus point, exposure, etc. You gotta be a bit more specific than that ;)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For some reason I am really drawn to the Prelude over the other shoots. The colors probably. Very nice work!
That's one of my favorites and a lot of people seem to like it. That was my buddies old car I shot up in Gainesville at the University of Florida campus a few years back.

·
Registered
339 Posts
How about we start with good car angles :). What seems to be the most dynamic angles.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Low, wide angles give cars a real aggressive stance, even if they're stock ride height. Here's an example:

Another shot is to be really far away and zoom in with a telephoto lens. I was about 75 yards away when I took this of my buddies Triumph Daytona 675R. You can usually get a real creamy, blurred background. This shot was right before the sun set so available light was at a minimum:

I always like to experiment with different angles not typically seen. Here's a shot of me shooting from on top of a huge garage door that swung up. The image underneath is one I got while I was up there:

Reactions: MiDiablo

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks. That is perfect.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. That is perfect.
Just get creative. And practice, practice, practice. When I was learning how to pan I used to go out by a busy street and just shoot the traffic driving by. Before I knew it I was getting results like this:

Rolex 24 at Daytona:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Really great shots Petey T. I look forward to any tips you may share from your years of experience.

I currently shoot with a Nikon D200, but looking to get something new this fall. My favorite lense is my Nikkor 28-70 1:2.8

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man and non of those are cleaned up by a software? they are virgin photos just taken with a camera????
No way! You'll rarely, if ever, see photos posted online that are straight from the camera. Almost everyone uses some form of post-processing. I don't do too much, unless it's clearly obvious, but for the most part it's just a bit of color correction, some sharpening, cropping if necessary and that's about it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm glad you are very minimal on the editing. not that I am any good at taking photos, but I know people who are like yourself, and those that aren't, but just shop the hell out of photos to make them passable and then people think they are amazing photographers, you're just a good digital editor then, and in my view it is different and detracts from the true skill of people like yourself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
great shots Pete and thanks for the tips. I have been shooting for two yrs and every day i am learning something new. Right now i am what cinderblock calls a good digital editer lol. its just rarely i get that perfect shot, it always needs something..lol

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I know what you guys mean. I've shooting for over 3 years now and I'm still learn new things almost daily. I've seen some great photographers and I've always envied their talents. Then I've seen some before and after photos and it was like night and day. I'm talking a basic everyday "Before" shot and then a completely different, almost fake looking "After" shot. I'd love to learn how to edit some of these guys but it's a very difficult thing to do and they spend a couple hours on each image in photoshop.

Thanks for all the kind words :)

1 - 20 of 127 Posts