Veloster Turbo Forum banner

My Drag time with tune

21K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  trdtoy 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally got to run my car at the track and the outcome really piss me off. Almost want to trade my car in cause it suck down the 1/4. The temperature last night at 9pm was 82 degree but the humidity high as hell through the night. My first run I did which is the last time slip on the right. I launch this run at 2,000 rpm and off the light it bog out which you see in my 60 foot time but the mph at the 1/8 and 1/4 are really high.
Then the second time slip in the middle I launch at 2,500 rpm and it spun perfect off the line but for some reason the car didn't run as well like the first run since my mph is low in both 1/8 and 1/4 mile. It almost felt like the it was boost cutting down the track. It just didn't feel right. So the final run I did, I launch again at 2,500 rpm and again the car felt good off the line but for some reason it didn't feel strong going to the end of the track.
The other runs I did which isn't posted were my mess up runs plus launch at 3,000 rpm, it just wheel hop down the 60 foot. So mainly guys launch your car at 2,500 rpm cause that where I got the low 60 foot time.
I'm just piss now cause with the power I'm making I should be in the 13's with no problem. I even raced 3 times a modded out srt-4 from at 60 roll to 120 mph and I kill him by 2 cars length and srt-4 run 13.9-14.1 stock and modded out in the low 13's. I had a srt-4 and stock I ran 13.9 and dyno at 215 hp at the wheels and weight 200lb more than my VT. I just don't understand.:confusion:

Text Font

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's also my top speed run I let off early cause I was really worry about the tires going that fast. These stocks are only good up 149 mph. I must of done at 155 mph and still want to keep going. But if I had better tires I would of gone faster.

#22 ·
First off, you appear to be hitting a power limiter or torque limiter. The car should be accelerating much harder top end (I know ours does). If the car feels like its breaking up under boost when running down the track, that again could be related to a torque or power limiter that you are hitting. There are several inside the ECU and one could have been over looked. Talk with the tuner (god I hope its not our tune) and find out what he can do to remedy the problem.

Thanks,

John

#3 ·
You might be shifting too slow? You have full bolt ons, make more power, and your slip on the left has a better 60ft but ended up with basically the same time as me with a slower trap speed. I just have cai, fmic, and custom tune with stock wheels and tires. If your boost was cut, you should know/feel when your boost is cut and have basically no power at all right?
Text Receipt Label Material property Font

I'm the one on the right.

#4 ·
I'm shifting fast pretty much almost flat shifting. But as for boost cutting it feel like it's not doing it full boost down the track. It just wasn't running strong like it does on the street. Plus the weather there was not good, and I did look at my torque app and my intake temp was at 143 degree but on the way home the intake temp at 91 degree at a 77 degree outside temp. I notice when the temp of the intake get cooler it run like a champ. Even a guy I met out there with a stock FR-S he was having problem as well and he was running his best 15.9 with a 2.3 60 foot.

#15 ·
I'm shifting fast pretty much almost flat shifting. But as for boost cutting it feel like it's not doing it full boost down the track. It just wasn't running strong like it does on the street. Plus the weather there was not good, and I did look at my torque app and my intake temp was at 143 degree but on the way home the intake temp at 91 degree at a 77 degree outside temp. I notice when the temp of the intake get cooler it run like a champ. Even a guy I met out there with a stock FR-S he was having problem as well and he was running his best 15.9 with a 2.3 60 foot.
Thank God you weren't running numbers like that!!!

#5 ·
155 mph..impressive for this car. I wonder what a VT with upgraded turbo, engine internals and tune would be capable of.

#6 ·
With it that warm at the track and your car sitting idling with those high intake temps, even with your big ass fmic you might be getting enough heat soak to be bogging you down.

#9 ·
That could be the possibility. The only I might do is run this car when the weather cooler down here and the humidity drop down. The humidity really what hurt in performance for turbo car and with it being 81% humidity, no wonder why I was ruinning crappy time. Here's a link of what the temp/ humidity was out there that night from 9pm to 11pm DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com

#7 ·
Are you on stock tires?

#10 ·
Honestly I think that is the issue, give it another shot with lower temps and humidity, I bet your times will fall in line with what you were expecting.

Reactions: bOoStIn-VT
#12 ·
Boosted cars here have a pit crew member shoot a carbon dioxide charged fire extinguisher into the intercooler once they are done their burnout. Drops the intercooler temperature drastically as it basically freezes it. I do wonder about cracking the intercooler when such a drastic temperature change hits that aluminum though. Guess that's what warranty is for!
Even when I ran my old carberated Camaro at the strip, sitting and idling would make all the temps rise (intake, fuel) and thus a loss of HP. We would drive into the staging area and then once there, pop the hood open and push the car forward while waiting to be brought up to the line. Used to see a few really hopped up cars not start though. Vapor lock is a bugger!

#13 ·
Well I know my car is a 13 second car for sure with the power I have and the weight it has. But I do know this car is definitely not a consistent drag car on the track. So with all the car I had race against that are 13's car and I able to beat them, I just don't see my car a 14.6 1/4 mile car.

#16 ·
I'm curious what the powerband is like on these cars? With the ST's redlining is bad because we drop off power revving to high, guys are getting better ET's shifting earlier to take advantage useable tq/power. You need to keep that 2.2-2.3 60' and get closer to 100mph trap speed to break 13's. Your definitely on track though.

#19 ·
^^^No biggie...We're expecting his ride to return to the Forum sooner or later :crazy:

#20 ·
anyone know what a stock VT should run on the 1/4?? Ive done it for my first time for fun so be easy :p haha it was a 15.9 my first time racing and my first car lol so not a pro but idk whats an average time? is that decent ?

#21 ·
if i remember correctly, i think GT800 ran a 15.0 bone stock AT. if you know how to launch, stock MT should have no problem hitting high 14s

#26 · (Edited)
Well, I finally got to run my car at the track and the outcome really piss me off. Almost want to trade my car in cause it suck down the 1/4. The temperature last night at 9pm was 82 degree but the humidity high as hell through the night. My first run I did which is the last time slip on the right. I launch this run at 2,000 rpm and off the light it bog out which you see in my 60 foot time but the mph at the 1/8 and 1/4 are really high.
Then the second time slip in the middle I launch at 2,500 rpm and it spun perfect off the line but for some reason the car didn't run as well like the first run since my mph is low in both 1/8 and 1/4 mile. It almost felt like the it was boost cutting down the track. It just didn't feel right. So the final run I did, I launch again at 2,500 rpm and again the car felt good off the line but for some reason it didn't feel strong going to the end of the track.
The other runs I did which isn't posted were my mess up runs plus launch at 3,000 rpm, it just wheel hop down the 60 foot. So mainly guys launch your car at 2,500 rpm cause that where I got the low 60 foot time.
I'm just piss now cause with the power I'm making I should be in the 13's with no problem. I even raced 3 times a modded out srt-4 from at 60 roll to 120 mph and I kill him by 2 cars length and srt-4 run 13.9-14.1 stock and modded out in the low 13's. I had a srt-4 and stock I ran 13.9 and dyno at 215 hp at the wheels and weight 200lb more than my VT. I just don't understand.:confusion:

View attachment 11659

I don't understand what ur mad about, with the power ur putting down that's where u should be. Stock turbo does 15.2 quarter mile, ur kidding urself if u think 45 more hp will get u over a second faster in quarter mile. There are cars close to ur weight that make 230-250 hp to the wheels that barly get into the 13s down quarter mile, what makes u think ur 215 will do it? And don't judge ur cars power and ability to run quarter mile based on how u did against a modded srt or whatever, u don't what was happening with the srt when u raced it, could have had a shitty driver or other issues. In the end an srt modded should have easily beaten u. If not, either he lied about mods or he was a shitty driver. Spewing out idiotic crap like this is why we get trolled buy everyone .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.