Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,383 Posts
where did you order the coils from? hopefully not amazon, we've seen folks receiving NAV coils on turbo part numbers. they don't work.

Reactions: TooGqForYou

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,282 Posts
okay mr educated guess man, since you just know the answer to everything, can you tell me why it’s still misfiring even after I did what you said in post #8 I changed the spark plugs to oem and the ignition coils to oem, oh and by the way it gapped to 28. it’s a stock 1.6 tune. it’s turbocharged. it’s a manual, I’m the second owner but it doesn’t look like they did any mods to it. Does that help.
Did you install the 4 new plugs, 4 new coils, and gap like I said to do?

Your answer will be: No, I ordered one coil of the same part number you suggested since I only had one misfiring and went to oem plugs at the gaps you suggested but not the oem plugs you suggested.

This may be why it's still misfiring and also why you're trying to cheap out by doing what you want vs what you're told to fix it. To fix it right will not happen going the route you're taking and it shows so far all my points are being proven.

New coils and plugs could be in the car for $260-$310 depending on if you're planning on keeping the oem tune or an aftermarket tune that increases power. Now you've spent probably half that and still at square one.

I only do this on the daily, make parts for the VT, tune the VT, hold records for the car, and have not blown one up yet in ~6 years of messing with them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The problem with replacing one coil with another coil is that you don’t know for sure that the replacement coil is good and you also don’t know that there isn’t another problem. I strongly recommend trying the directions @trdtoy suggested. Swapping coils between cylinders will tell you a lot and is a luxury of modern cars with coil on plug design. I actually just went through something similar and saved myself the expense of buying new coils because I ended up finding an odd spark plug problem. In my case the plug even looked perfect but then I noticed the ceramic would slide down the electrode when held at a certain angle. I threw in a spare set of NGKs in all four cylinders and put the coils back where they were and it runs great again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Swap the coil 4 and coil 3 (or any other) and see if the misfires follows. If it follows you got issue with the new coil. If it stays - it’s something else.
My bad, this person was the one that said the part about swapping coils for testing. @trdtoy told you all the right parts to get. 🍻

21 - 26 of 26 Posts