Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vt is straight piped with a gutted stock downpipe and it always smokes from the tailpipe when sitting still.. Wondering if that's because of oil blow back or something wrong with the motor. I have two catch cans that I'm planing on installing and seafoaming soon.. Wondering if that would help.. Or is it just crying for a tune?? Which I was planning on having by now but been waiting for my intercooler for almost two months and just now hearing the DV bov is being redesigned so I'm looking past June before I can get it and install it. That's if it comes out on time smh..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Normal without tune - if it's dark or black you're running rich, which is how the stock tune is designed. The cat is supposed to catch the impurities, and since you've removed them it's more visible.

·
Registered
694 Posts
What color is the smoke?
Does it have an odor?

·
Registered
811 Posts
After my tune, no smoke, no big black clouds when going WOT on the streets

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's white smoke most visible when still..
White generally means water or coolant. If you see it only after the first minute or so that you start the car (before it is warmed up), that's normal. If you still see quite a bit of smoke after the car is warmed up there may be a large issue.
Oil will also look white but has a little bit of a blue hue in it. If you see that during your normal driving that could also be a large issue.

Get a compression check
Check your coolant for oil contamination
check the oil from the oil fill hole on the top of the cam cover for any water or coolant

if you don't see any cross contamination your are probably getting either a lot of oil blow-by or oil is getting in through the valve guides or something due to a lot of sludge build-up.

What year is your car?
How many miles?
Catch cans? (no, you stated you haven't installed yet)
Do you have an aftermarket intake?
oil type used?
how often do you change the oil?
oil filter type used?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts