Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 VT Tech, Vitamin C, AT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been getting P0299 on (as far as I am aware) a vanilla 14 VT. It was extremely rare a few months ago but this past few weeks it's gotten really bad. The local mechanic tried to charge me over 2 grand for an entire turbo assembly, but I believe the turbo itself works fine since it spins up after a DTC reset every time.

The car occasionally, but not always, goes into limp mode for underboost when put under some stress, usually going 80+ uphill or over 5k rpm.

The turbo can be heard spinning up. OBD measures calculated boost usually to a max of 7.5 to 8.5 psi. It has peaked at 10 psi a couple times. This is what leads me to believe that the turbo itself is mechanically fine. It doesn't boost as well as it should, but it still boosts.

I'm less sure about the waste gate. Ignition off, WGDC reads at 4.69%, or as open as it gets. At idle WGDC is 14.84%, or largely open. The highest I've seen it go to is 75%.

What do you think the issue is — worn-out turbo, leaky tubes or a failed solenoid? Does the waste gate behavior sound normal? If not, how easy is it to replace it myself?

Car runs fine otherwise. Had a recent oil change for 115k, full synthetic 5W40, admittedly overdue but got it done. I'll get a new bumper for it when I have the time and money.

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
168 Posts
Also check the wastegate solenoid

1 - 3 of 3 Posts