Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well the wife and I are going on vacation this oct 19th to the 25th. We are extremely excited. We pretty much know what we want to do Universal Studio, cirque du soleil show, parasailing, Ifly (indoor skydiving). These things are pretty easy to go and accomplish. However I am having trouble finding out good info on scuba diving. I don't understand how to go about this type of activity.

Is there a company you recommend? what are fair rates? is there a certificate we have to do in order to scuba dive?

I've looked at different things searching through google. But some websites I come across are kind of confusing.

It gives rates for the scuba diving then rates on equipment. Would it be cheaper for us just to buy our own equipment? or is that stupid to do? I can picture us doing this again in the future once we get the hang of this type of activity. I just don't understand how to go about this.

Anyways, any and all help is very much appreciated. please give me your recommendations on places to go scuba diving in that area. and what have you paid for to go scuba diving for two adults in the past.

Is there anything you wish you have known before you went about this activity?

We will be in Mystic Dunes Resort Hotels which is in Kissimmee, FL. Just so you know where we are. We don't mind driving around to go to a scuba diving place. We will have a rental car with unlimited mileage and a day or two to do these type of activities :D

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Most the time you have to have an open water scuba certificate. Usually doesn't take more than a couple weekends to do it. Can be quite expensive though. I know that between gear and paying for the instruction it ended up costing just me around $750.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most the time you have to have an open water scuba certificate. Usually doesn't take more than a couple weekends to do it. Can be quite expensive though. I know that between gear and paying for the instruction it ended up costing just me around $750.
WHAT? DAMN $750 for you for gear and instructions? I was thinking less than that for two.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
WHAT? DAMN $750 for you for gear and instructions? I was thinking less than that for two.
Ya scuba gear can get pretty expensive. I spent like $500 on mask, snorkel, fins, boots and gloves. Mind you I didn't get the cheapest stuff because I want it to last me. So even for me I have to rent a tank and all that each time I go but that's not usually too crazy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nope gear is not cheap. Remember too that this stuff is keeping you alive. Best not to skimp. I know to get my basic scuba was around $200 just for instruction. I have rented gear and some has been ok but others have not. I spent close to 1,500 for good gear. Cheap price for my life.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nope gear is not cheap. Remember too that this stuff is keeping you alive. Best not to skimp. I know to get my basic scuba was around $200 just for instruction. I have rented gear and some has been ok but others have not. I spent close to 1,500 for good gear. Cheap price for my life.
Ya I plan on spending close to that for the rest of my gear but don't have any time to dive at the moment so haven't really looked into getting all that yet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ya I plan on spending close to that for the rest of my gear but don't have any time to dive at the moment so haven't really looked into getting all that yet.
I have a custom dry suit. Now that was expensive. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have a custom dry suit. Now that was expensive. :)
Oh ya dry suits are nice. I will definitely invest in that if I end up back on the west coast. I did my open water in January on a rainy weekend...very cold in a wet suit....

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so what if we just rented all that with the scuba people? that would be cheaper right?

Like I said, I can see us doing this again, but not for hobby where we would want to have our own $1,500 gear. Maybe like once in florida and maybe another time in Hawaii.

So lets assume we are renting. would that be more affordable?

·
Banned
929 Posts
ok so what if we just rented all that with the scuba people? that would be cheaper right?

Like I said, I can see us doing this again, but not for hobby where we would want to have our own $1,500 gear. Maybe like once in florida and maybe another time in Hawaii.

Bro just enjoy Universal Studios and if I were you I would spent that extra money on Disney World!!!!! I go every year and never get bored :) I just love it :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Ya you could rent everything but you would still need to get certified before hand. Probably will cost between $200 and $300 a person.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bro just enjoy Universal Studios and if I were you I would spent that extra money on Disney World!!!!! I go every year and never get bored :) I just love it :)
With this said \|/ I think I will do just that.

Ya you could rent everything but you would still need to get certified before hand. Probably will cost between $200 and $300 a person.
I had no idea getting certified would cost that much.

Yeah I think I will skip out on the water scene lol maybe next time when the cars are paid for and what not.

thanks guys for all your info and insight.

I honestly though it was walking in a scuba diving organization, paying a fee to go and rent the equipment and having fun. I even thought certifications were going to be cheap like 30 bux or something like that. Not 200 to 300 a person lol I honest thought I'd get off paying 500 for the both of us.

I'll keep my ass on land and use that kind of money elsewhere!

Thanks a million guys :D

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Yes you need to be certified. If you do some major shopping around you can find the Cert for around $500. Have you checked Groupon? Also have you heard about the Express Bimini Cruise??? They have weekday cruises at $79 with breakfast & dinner inlcuded. If you stay over night the rate is $99 per person, which isn't bad considering food is included as well. Not sure if your a basball fan, but Marlins tix are really cheap as well. I go more for the park, than the actual team. :) Park is Beautiful!!! If you've never hit up Bayside, that may be another place youmay want to check out. What hotel do you plan on staying at? Maybe we can set up a V meet on the Beach???

·
Registered
576 Posts
MyDianaZ06, another alternative to scuba diving would be snorkeling. You don't need a certificate to do that. All you do need is a mask, fins and snorkel. There are plenty of places in the Clearwater/ St. Pete area. Another great place is Bradenton/Sarasota. Both places have really nice beaches. The good thing is that you don't have to drive all that far. Clearwater/St Pete is about 1h 45m from Orlando and Bradenton/Sarasota is about 2 1/2 hours maybe a little less. But either way have fun on your trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts