Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently picked up a mint 2016 VT with 52k on it it came with a injen sri intake installed and came with the pipe to turn it into a cai i ordered a turbo xs bov gonna take the bumper off when it gets here so i can convert the sri to a cai other than that its stock

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
first mod :search and read lol

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd have to go digging through old threads for the proof and comparisons, but our car actually performs better with the short ram vs the CAI. Turbo xs is a great choice- inexpensive and sounds good. I'd recommend catch cans asap (sxth element has the dual can kit on clearance right now), high quality oil with an OEM filter, and 91+ octane fuel to get you started. And be careful taking the bumper off. There are clips on the headlight that are notorious for breaking and causing bumper sag

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,429 Posts
Get new oem coils, proper plugs depending on the tune you will have in the car in the near future, proper oil and oil filter changes, be sure the battery is in good health, all good grounds cleaned up etc. Then focus on mods for cooling and air/exhaust flow before tuning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get new oem coils, proper plugs depending on the tune you will have in the car in the near future, proper oil and oil filter changes, be sure the battery is in good health, all good grounds cleaned up etc. Then focus on mods for cooling and air/exhaust flow before tuning.
i was looking at the msd blaster coils any good or just stick with oem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are your goals for the car?
its gonna be a daily i do want more power out of it but not enough to where i need forged internals a bunch of my freinds have hot hatches so i just wanna hang .......the wife agreed to a 5k budget to start with i choose this car because it was light cheap and seems to have tons of aftermarket support

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
all my friends have hot hatches too, most of them are on their second motor. love my lukewarm hatch lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
5k budget?! Dang! Your wife must be nice!

$500 - maintenance items (probably wont cost that much but better to have more than enough in the budget)
$1000 - downpipe including labor to install
$750 - tune (might be enough here to include flashing equipment)
$500 - water methanol injection
$250 - new intake
($100) - sell your injen intake to someone who wants a new intake but doesn't have a $5k mod budget
$200 - new hotpipe
$200 - larger throttlebody
$50 - motor mount inserts
$1600 - Sparco Assetto Garas 17x7.5" +45mm wrapped in Conti Extremecontacts delivered to your door from tirerack.com

Not knowing anything else about your car I would probably expect something in the 250-280 whp and wtq with those mods depending on the tune. If you can do summer tires then get those instead but the ones I listed should be great all seasons and 10 lbs lighter than stock.
That set up would be quick. If you have money left over for handling bits get a new torsion bar for $150 and if you happen to have an extra $400 someone get some koni rear shocks.

PM trdtoy if you haven't already. If for some reason you don't want to then get ahold of sxth and kdmtuners.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,429 Posts
i was looking at the msd blaster coils any good or just stick with oem
I've seen a few cars with MSD coils for the turbo cars but not any that have ran them long enough to determine reliability.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
674 Posts
5k budget?! Dang! Your wife must be nice!

$500 - maintenance items (probably wont cost that much but better to have more than enough in the budget)
$1000 - downpipe including labor to install
$750 - tune (might be enough here to include flashing equipment)
$500 - water methanol injection
$250 - new intake
($100) - sell your injen intake to someone who wants a new intake but doesn't have a $5k mod budget
$200 - new hotpipe
$200 - larger throttlebody
$50 - motor mount inserts
$1600 - Sparco Assetto Garas 17x7.5" +45mm wrapped in Conti Extremecontacts delivered to your door from tirerack.com

Not knowing anything else about your car I would probably expect something in the 250-280 whp and wtq with those mods depending on the tune. If you can do summer tires then get those instead but the ones I listed should be great all seasons and 10 lbs lighter than stock.
That set up would be quick. If you have money left over for handling bits get a new torsion bar for $150 and if you happen to have an extra $400 someone get some koni rear shocks.

PM trdtoy if you haven't already. If for some reason you don't want to then get ahold of sxth and kdmtuners.
Salesman of the year. 😂😉
Nice list and great post. 🤙

1 - 12 of 12 Posts