Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

Sadly my 2015 R-Spec broke down off I-75. Heard some odd noise in the engine and then the coolant indicator on the dash board dissapeared. Indicator then came back on only to go to 100. Next thing I know the accelerator cuts out and had to coast it down to the bottom of an exit ramp and get a tow. When car was on the bed of the tow truck noticed that there was a lot of coolant leaking, so at time thought might be issue with a hose or something.

Shop that looked at it noticed that a spark plug cylinder was severely warped and that coolant was apparently leaking into the cylinder. Head gasket they say is going to need to be replaced but they'll have to see as they do tear down to prepare to replace those things.

Said it is possible there's a crack in the engine which caused those things and that's going to mean total engine replacement.

You can see I've been doing some work on the car for last few years, my thread, I hadn't gotten a tune yet on the engine with the new parts and outside of the HKS spark plugs I bought, there's dual catch cans, FMIC, and the transmission work with new LSD and clutch/flywheel. I wouldn't have thought any of that would cause engine damage, and they've not suggested yet that any of my parts would have contributed. 109K miles on it though.

So hoping to run things by anyone smarter than me on here who might notice something and have a suggestion. Also if I'm in the market for new engines, hoping someone can make a recommendation of what's best solution in terms of getting one and what I should be looking for in a new engine. Shop says they can get one used for anywhere from 7-9K. So that's nuts. But this car is my baby and I'll just have to pay for it somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, rough time at the moment.

Thanks very kindly for help and assistance!

·
Super Moderator
3,890 Posts
have any pics of the cylinder warpage? that's tough to see with a scope.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,784 Posts
Priority is to see what is wrong with the current one and go from there on the best solution. Getting a used engine for 7-9k is for sure not the route to go lol!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point. Shop it's in seems to think it might be just a warped head gasket after all and not going to need engine replacement, but waiting to see. Thanks!

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,784 Posts
The con should only be the time to repair. The cost should not be near what was stated for oem spec engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i took mine to the dealer and it was around 9k total for a new engine. they covered half probably due to it being a part that's being recalled even though my engine wasn't listed under the recall yet for some reason. you can buy full used engines for like 3k and however much labor costs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts