Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Need some advice on whether I should get VT or an NA V

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  COMMANDOE 
#1 ·
So I've been waiting patiently along with the rest of you for a VT to arrive somewhere around where I live. As much as I'm in love with the car, I want to make sure I make the right choice as I plan on using it for then next 8-10 years at the very least. I've been trying to look at it from every angle and I hope you guys can answer a couple of questions that popped in my head.

1.) Does having a turbo as opposed to a naturally aspirated car have any long term repercussions (cost-wise, that is)? Is the Turbo in ANY way less reliable than a base model? (Keep in mind, my driving will be mostly for commuting to school, I won't be pushing it to its limits everyday or anything like that.)
2.) And this was something I didn't realize till last night and am really hoping someone can answer for me: Will the turbo have a higher insurance rate than the base model? If so, on average, how much higher would it be?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
1. no...
There are some things you need to be aware of when driving a turbo. This will be my first but I'm the kinda guy who does tons of research before committing to a car, so I'll tell you what I know.
First off.. if you drive the car hard and fast during the day, and you're running the turbo, it will get warm. So get in the habit of letting the car idle for about 1 minute after you get home before you turn it off to make sure the oil gets everywhere it needs to be.. Same thing when you start the car.. From what I've read it takes a little longer for oil to get to the turbo unit, so let it idle for about 30 seconds before you zip off.

2. This all depends on your insurance, where you are, and your current rate. Assuming you have no accidents or claims I don't see a huge increase. I'm 31 and live in WA and my insurance went up $12 for a whole year.

#3 ·
i know any car with forced inductin ie. supercharger, turbo, nos will wear faster than natural aspirated engines and turbo/supercharger dont last forever ask anyone with speed 6 or 3 or most turbo cars they end up having to be replaced but the good thing is hyundai has a excellent warranty they offer their customers so im not worried im stocked! just tired of waiting like everyone else...

#4 ·
Once you drive the turbo, your decision is made for you.
It gives you that extra confidence if or when you need a little extra zip, for passing, getting out of someone's blind spot, or just for the heck of it. Plus, better lights, grill, exhaust, sound of exhaust, front lip, and yes even the turbo badge gives it street cred.
Go only for the turbo.
Btw, my fuel is 8.8l/100km combined driving, mostly city. My mazda5 is 9.9 combined, mostly hwy mileage

#10 ·
hmm see i understand that it doesn't have the power but for my commuting purposes I wonder how much that will actually affect me, you know what I mean? Don't get me wrong I LOVE the VT and think it looks amazing compared to the NA V but I just want to make sure I make the right decision if I'm going to throw down an extra 2500 ish on that car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.